Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Trip

Looking at a 2012 Holiday Rambler Trip 32 PBS with a little over 14,000 miles. Asking 119,999 for it. Is this a good price for this RV and is it worth it?
texaslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #2

Don't know any thing about that particular coach. But here is where I would start. I would find out what the original list price was when new. I would subtract about 26 to 27 percent from that now you have what it should have sold for when new. If the asking price is not 25% less than that you have some negotiating to do.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is it this one, don't buy without a extended warranty.
#9726 - 2012 Holiday Rambler Trip 32PBS Diesel W/Slide for sale in Alvarado TX

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

I would do a search on iRV2 - look under Monaco Vesta - this is the "twin" coach - in all most all aspects. Lots of problems with MaxxForce engines (mostly the larger ones) but several law suits and major repair issues with MF 7, 10 engines due to a bad design on the emissions systems. The coach is CUTE as can be, but many owners of these coaches (Trips and Vesta) have had them sit in the repair shop.
TweetThisRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

2012 Holiday Rambler Trip

I was concerned about the max force engine and the fact that they are not making the Trip, Vesta or Thor Serrano any longer. We are also looking at the Fleetwood Excursion 33D, Fleetwood Bounder 35k and Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36 SBT. I will be doing the majority of driving so want to stay under 36 feet. I plan on taking one of the driving courses. I'm not scared of handling it just want that extra umph. We sold our travel trailer last summer and I'm itching to get back on the road.
texaslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

I think the Maxx Force would be a lot of frustration -many current owners are not happy. Serveral dealers have Serrano's they cannot "give" away.

I have heard good things about the Fleetwood Excursion 33D - always best if you can find a current owner to get the good, bad and ugly. All RV's are trade offs - it's just a matter of knowing what you can and cannot live with. Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady View Post
Looking at a 2012 Holiday Rambler Trip 32 PBS with a little over 14,000 miles. Asking 119,999 for it. Is this a good price for this RV and is it worth it?
Hello,

The Trip and Vesta are twins.

I've owned a 2012 Vesta for almost three years - it's a nice coach. I have 34k miles on the engine - and have not experienced a single problem with the engine. I get about 11.5 mpg overall.

I've had a few problems with the slide-out - where the cables were not adjusted correctly - but everything is working well now after the last "tune-up".

The Valid air ride has failed a couple of times due to the coils corroding - installed a cover over the manifold to stop the road spray - seems to have solved that issue.

I've owned several coaches over the years (my 4th Monaco) - and I don't feel I've experienced any more problems with this coach when compared to any other.

The Maxforce 7 engine is used in other applications like school buses, etc. In my view - you can find war stories about every engine - no matter who makes it. Navistar primarily had issues with the larger engines, not the Maxforce 7 engine.

I like not needing the DEF - bonus to me.

I can't comment on what the Trip is worth - that's between you and the dealer and what makes you happy.

I wish you the best - no matter what your decision may be.....

Best regards,

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'
Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Barnes View Post
Hello,

The Trip and Vesta are twins.

I've owned a 2012 Vesta for almost three years - it's a nice coach. I have 34k miles on the engine - and have not experienced a single problem with the engine. I get about 11.5 mpg overall.

I've had a few problems with the slide-out - where the cables were not adjusted correctly - but everything is working well now after the last "tune-up".

The Valid air ride has failed a couple of times due to the coils corroding - installed a cover over the manifold to stop the road spray - seems to have solved that issue.

I've owned several coaches over the years (my 4th Monaco) - and I don't feel I've experienced any more problems with this coach when compared to any other.

The Maxforce 7 engine is used in other applications like school buses, etc. In my view - you can find war stories about every engine - no matter who makes it. Navistar primarily had issues with the larger engines, not the Maxforce 7 engine.

I like not needing the DEF - bonus to me.

I can't comment on what the Trip is worth - that's between you and the dealer and what makes you happy.

I wish you the best - no matter what your decision may be.....

Best regards,

Jon Barnes
2012 Vesta 32'

Jon has made a very fact based and well reasoned post here. I read the posts regularly on the Trip/Vesta thread here and I can tell you that Jon is an authority on this line of coaches. I have a friend who special ordered a Vesta and made many mods to the coach. He appears very happy.

On another note. I'm not sure you have a reason to limit you search to 36'. I moved to a 40' from a 36' and I can tell you that you don't really notice the difference driving but you sure notice when living in the coach. Drive as few before you decide.

Good luck & happy hunting. Let us know how you do.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I purchased new 2011 Endeavor from MHSRV. Had a few problems first week could never get appointment for repairs. I found them to have good prices but poor service. Check it out closely.
bredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #10

I was able to find the thread - lots of good information - 85 pages of Vesta/Trip owners and their very candid feedback on the Vesta/Trip, engine, slides, etc.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/any-...re-129492.html

I did look at a 2012 Trip at California Coach in Orange County, California - it was one of the cleanest RVs I have seen. I last time I checked it's still there.

Good luck on your RV shopping.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Is it this one, don't buy without a extended warranty.
#9726 - 2012 Holiday Rambler Trip 32PBS Diesel W/Slide for sale in Alvarado TX
If it is this one - they have dropped the price $10,000.00.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

We had a 2112 Trip at the last place I worked it was a POS nothing wrong with the engine but you could not keep cabinet doors on it. It was supposed to be the center piece of our 2112 Jan show but it arrived with the interior so messed up we could not put it in the show. They finally got all the issues fixed and it sold for 120k in 2113. Really poor fit and finish in all areas it did however drive pretty nice and looked cool until you opened a door and hoped it did not fall off. Even though we had no engine or drive line problems it was unable to pass a repair shop on it's way from OR to MI it spent several weeks waiting for parts in 3 different shops on it's way to us if the boss had only listened to me he would of cancelled it in route.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler