Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #127

Should have looked here first!!!

I bought a 36DBT on June 11, 2016. It is now at Giant RV in Montclair for the 4th time since I picked it up. Hard to believe but true. We haven't had to worry about storing it someplace as its been in the shop with the exception of the 2 trips we took. Problems: refrig doesn't work (just got back from 11 day trip to AZ and UT-coolers and lots of ice for the 7 of us), dash air barely works, shower leaks, fresh water either won't fill or siphons out, cig lighters don't work, radio had to be replaced, floor tiles bubbling up, kink in propane line, steering wheel not straight, kitchen sink doesn't drain, generator exhaust bracket broken, wires come unplugged on dash air blower unit, headboard fell off, etc.

I've bought a lot of things in my life and NOTHING even comes close to having the problems that I've had with this thing. Embarrassed to say that I even bought the damn thing. We're going to Sequoia mid-August and if it's not fixed right then it's time to get the attorney involved.

I would never, ever, buy a Holiday Rambler again. Never.
mmcwhirter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #128

Sorry to hear your experience was similar to ours. We had a similar experience with a 2013 HR 36 SBT. We had some of the same issues plus the roof leaked and the kitchen cabinets dripped water in even a light rain of more than 10 minutes. All of this while under the first 12 month warranty however Monaco was TERRIBLE to work with. We had to always pay upfront and get reimbursed. It took 8 months to get paid (not even the full amount AFTER getting authorization) when the wipers quit working in a huge rainstorm in the midwest. We felt blessed we were not killed as we were on the highway at night and suddenly blind. Clipped a guardrail getting over. Monaco said "bill your auto insurance" for that repair. Traded it in at a nice loss for a smaller Itasca at the end of a year. My wife still misses the opposing slides and fireplace but the Itasca has been foolproof. I agree I would not go near anything Monoco makes. I see used HR's all over the place. I say dump it before it gets worse. We had a good experience with La Mesa RV although some people hate them, they actually worked with us on making a tolerable deal. Hope you and your family get out from under safe. Have a blessed day.
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcwhirter View Post
I bought a 36DBT on June 11, 2016. It is now at Giant RV in Montclair for the 4th time since I picked it up. Hard to believe but true. We haven't had to worry about storing it someplace as its been in the shop with the exception of the 2 trips we took. Problems: refrig doesn't work (just got back from 11 day trip to AZ and UT-coolers and lots of ice for the 7 of us), dash air barely works, shower leaks, fresh water either won't fill or siphons out, cig lighters don't work, radio had to be replaced, floor tiles bubbling up, kink in propane line, steering wheel not straight, kitchen sink doesn't drain, generator exhaust bracket broken, wires come unplugged on dash air blower unit, headboard fell off, etc.

I've bought a lot of things in my life and NOTHING even comes close to having the problems that I've had with this thing. Embarrassed to say that I even bought the damn thing. We're going to Sequoia mid-August and if it's not fixed right then it's time to get the attorney involved.

I would never, ever, buy a Holiday Rambler again. Never.
I know what your going through. As you have probably read we have had quite a battle with ours. We fixed the shower and sink drains ourselves. We also fixed molding falling off and wall not attached ourselves. We are getting ready to replace the front radio ourselves since ours has broken twice. We currently don't have a backup camera. I couldn't tell you how many days it was in the shop last year. Our fridge died too, and they just shut it off for an hour and the fridge reset itself. I don't want to jinx myself but so far it is working - thought id does not keep a steady temperature and we lots of ice build up because of it. We finally found a great guy who does the truck part, but he also went all the way through it for us and found the cables/hoses etc. issues. He also found that the sides of the camper were not properly installed so they were slowly falling off. He told my husband how to fix them. I have been in touch with another couple who are currently going to court with the RV place that sold him the camper. That has been a long process. It has been almost a year with his camper sitting at the RV site so he has lost all of that time. As aggravated as I am/was with the RV place we bought it from, I do realize that the true problem is with Monaco and the poor quality control - in fact no quality control, and these RV places just don't know how to fix them. I hope you can get the major stuff fixed and start to be able to enjoy it.
robinfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #130

2015 HR Issues 36 DBT

Sorry to hear about all your problems. We also brought ours from Giant RV in Montclair and that was a BIG mistake. Ryan the Service Advisor is a nice guy but he doesn't have a clue and he doesn't always tell the truth. The after service was very poor!! ( said he ordered 5 parts and after 6 weeks when we went to pick it up he said he didn't order the parts because he did not have part numbers!!). Our RV has been in the shop off and on for over 12 weeks and is now out of warranty!! ( Black water tank always showed 1/3 full from when we bought it, Wooden Mattress platform was crooked/cockeyed, Platform would not stay up..struts had to be replaced, Shower cold water hose had a kink in it..found that out on our 1st dry camping trip, Shower door had gaps in the sealant, Entry door dead bolt did not work, Crack in shower, Passenger chair arm rest leaned down, Kitchen drawer cockeyed, Fresh water tank loses 1/3 water while driving, Heater vent is bathroom did not work, Exterior radio comes on by itself, Dash air blows hot air (compressor had to be replaced), House and Chassis battery not holding charge (found the disconnect was never hooked up), Radio not working (replaced), Refrigerator not holding temp (got a new one after many tries trying to fix it)Headboard fell of the wall, Lots of overspray, Shower latch broke, Front end feels like a sledgehammer hit it when going over rough roads and many more small issues. (all items have been fixed except the front-end still bounces on rough roads so I put in Sumo Springs and that has helped a little). We have had over 35 issues, but the good news is all have been resolved. I documented everything and copied Monoco (REV) and the dealership on everything so there was a paper trail, I worked with (REV/ Allied) in Oregon and they were great!! Call and talk to Melvin Walters or John Hurd, Customer Relations Manager 541-681-8009 they were great to work with resolving issues. If you need some guidance to get through this mess give me a call 805-312-1391 and ask for Jim and maybe I can help you. Other that that we love the floorplan and hopefully we are on our way to recovery and will now be happy campers!!
Jim1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Jim1946 - did you have any problems with your slideouts? Ours makes quite a racket and dents the floor when it is pulled in. Our fridge doesn't hold the temp but I believe it is out of warranty now. Our washing machine leaked out back so you might want to look that over. We too feel the sledgehammer feel in the front end. We are getting use to it. We too love the layout and really enjoy the washer/dryer and second bathroom (5 grandchildren visit!) We plan to take her on the road in 2017 going from east coast to west coast. We are hoping nothing major happens!
robinfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #132

If you read my earlier posts on the issues that I had, you'll find that I had many of the same issues and others. If you are able to drive your coach to the manufacturer's factory, I HIGHLY recommend it. The process for us was fairly painless. They did have our coach for a couple of months, but I think that's unusual and was mostly due to the fix of the frame. We are not fulltimers, so we just dropped the coach off and went back home (we are only about a 5 hour drive away). They corrected all of our issues and we have been happy campers (literally) since. All of our major systems now work flawlessly and we have little trouble with everything else. There are still a couple of little irritating things, but nothing that affects fit or function.

It doesn't seem to matter how much you pay for your coach, the quality control issues at these manufacturers is bordering on criminal. When at the factory, I saw all types of coaches and talked to many coach owners who all had quality issues, regardless of the price they paid for their coach. I was pretty mad too with all of our issues and got zero help from the dealer we purchased from. It's not clear to me how to fix the industry if they are not willing to police themselves.

If you can....take it to the factory....get it fixed there and get it fixed right. I think you'll be happy you did. I agree that you shouldn't have to, but it was so much easier than trying to deal with the dealer and possibly trying to sell it off.

Oh...btw...I had the loud clanking in the front of our coach too when hitting bumps. My Ford mechanic found that the bolts on the shocks were not tightened. Mine runs much smoother now that he torqued them down. You might want to check tire pressure too. Unfortunately, these things aren't ever going to feel like driving on a cushion of air, given we are sitting right on top of the wheels.
domsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #133

2015 hr 36dbt

So far no problems with the slideouts except the slide with the refrigerator does make a racket but I was told that was normal. No scrapes in the floor.
The refrigerator is under warranty for 2 years from the day you bought the RV I found out!!.
We took out the washer/dryer because we didn't want it and made more closet space. We too like having two bathrooms. Ours (small BR) backed up until I found out if you lift up the flush pedal with your foot more water will flow into the bowl to keep from clogging up when you flush..
Jim1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #134

Unhappy 2016 33ct

Just an update on our 2016 HR Vacationer 33CT purchased from General RV in February, 2016....My wife and I like the floorplan and motorhome in general. We have had a few issues and the dealer (General RV Tampa) would get a D so far. The service people are nice but they do not seem real eager to do any warranty work or deal with the "REV Group" regarding repairs. It seems to me that the dealer wants to make a lot of money on these repairs and the REV Group wants to spend as little as possible. This leaves the customer in the middle with a feeling that none of these people are to be trusted.

So far we have had:

3 cabinets came loose due to stripped screws (fixed by me).
The plastic moulding under the toilet came loose (fixed by me).
Rear bedroom window leak...General fixed this after warning me that Fleetwood does not cover sealants. I reminded them that this window was sealed with a rubber gasket. (They replaced the gasket under warranty).
Bedroom door came off the track multiple times. The Dealer's service writer showed me how to adjust the door by tightening the hardware that attaches the door to the track (fixed by me).
The furnace would turn on and off by itself and, every time I brought it back, I was told that this was a design flaw and the circuit board outside was getting wet. There was nothing they could do. I found that the screws on the exterior plastic cover were stripped and the cover was loose. In addition, I found that the interior gasket was contaminated with silicone, in an unsuccessful attempt to seal the cover and prevent water intrusion. I cleaned off the silicone and put larger screws in the cover ...No further problems (fixed by me).
The washer dryer combo would vibrate your teeth out when in spin cycle. It was secured with L brackets (by General RV).
Living room slideout has left gouges in the floor. General tells me to put some plastic over it. The living room slideout rubber moulding is coming loose inside the motorhome.
Shower leaks. The dealer has told me that Fleetwood does not cover sealants. They sold me some silicone to seal the entire shower on a 5 month old motorhome that is in covered storage.
The dash air conditioner is not working. This is a vacuum problem as the dash vents do not open. This has been a problem on and off since new but now it does not work at all. We have been waiting a month for a vacuum switch that the dealer says he needs. As the dealer and manufacturer go back and forth, I am unable to use the RV. Even with the generator running and the roof air running, I can't get the temp down below 91 degrees up front while driving here in Florida. I really don't think that the REV Group cares. This has still not been fixed and we are now canceling a trip to Asheville.
The shelves in the pantry do not stay shut. The dealer says that there is nothing he can do.
There was no service opening for the water hoses in the water/sewer bay. (I fixed this).
Awning wind sensor was too sensitive and would close if it thought a breeze was coming. REV Group told me that this was normal because the awning was (and I am not joking) operated by a barometer. Carefree sent me a new sensor that is working properly so far.
Two A/C vent covers were loose and fell off in transit. Screws were overtightened and stripped. (I fixed this).
Cover over the living room slideout will not shed water and fills up like a kid's pool. I have owned Newmar and Tiffin products and have not experienced this. According to REV, the slideouts should be brought in during rainstorms. Kinda hard to do in Florida.

There are a few more issues, but you can get the picture here. At least I still have possession of the motorhome and have only canceled one trip.
rssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #135

Considering 1994 Holiday Rambler...Newbies here

I am not sure I am in the right place for Holiday Rambler questions, so I apologize in advance. Please point me in right place however, as we need some help. My husband and I have gone round n round w TT to motorhome and back. We saw a listing for 94 Holiday Rambler in the Tampa Craigslist. Its near where we live in Bradenton.

We are not retired, but would be taking trips out of FL to appalachian area for hiking. We would be able to do 1-2 'out West" trips per year MAX.

We decided a 34 (or something small) Motorhome might be perfect to see if this is for us (I was drawn to Airstreams for some time).

What can you tell us about Holiday Ramblers, their model and years to consider for something that is older? Are these sound years or should we be looking at early 2000s instead (the older ones are more asthetically pleasing to me). What should we stay clear of? Why did YOU chose HOLIDAY RAMBLER over others?

What about safety for HR vs others? That is a concern to me in Class As. Thank you for whatever you can provide in our search!!
Hiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #136

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking1 View Post
I am not sure I am in the right place for Holiday Rambler questions, so I apologize in advance. Please point me in right place however, as we need some help. My husband and I have gone round n round w TT to motorhome and back. We saw a listing for 94 Holiday Rambler in the Tampa Craigslist. Its near where we live in Bradenton.

We are not retired, but would be taking trips out of FL to appalachian area for hiking. We would be able to do 1-2 'out West" trips per year MAX.

We decided a 34 (or something small) Motorhome might be perfect to see if this is for us (I was drawn to Airstreams for some time).

What can you tell us about Holiday Ramblers, their model and years to consider for something that is older? Are these sound years or should we be looking at early 2000s instead (the older ones are more asthetically pleasing to me). What should we stay clear of? Why did YOU chose HOLIDAY RAMBLER over others?

What about safety for HR vs others? That is a concern to me in Class As. Thank you for whatever you can provide in our search!!
Welcome!

As the owner of a 1998 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32CG on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis, I can wholeheartedly encourage you to avoid any motor home, from any manufacturer, that has the older Ford F53 chassis. These are easily identifiable as they have the 460ci/7.5L V8 engine. Notably, the older chassis has weaker brakes and lower load rating compared with the 6.8L V10 models starting with the 1998/1999 model years. If it has a V10, it's the newer chassis with the better brakes and better load rating, and I recommend you steer in the V10 direction.

Aside from that specific comment, I have been quite happy with the build quality of my MH as compared with current industry standards.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, holiday rambler