Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I really like what Great Dane did, I too replaced the original POC RCA Home Theater System. It failed and RV dealer wanted $950.00 to replace with a rebuilt unit. I used a Yamaha A/V receiver and a thin DVD player. I found the same problem with the amount of space in the cabinet where the electronics go. There was not enough room to install the Yamaha, DVD player, DirecTV DVR and the video switch. However instead of building a large shelf below the existing cabinet I chose to remove the DVR from the cabinet. This gave me enough room for the A/V Receiver, DVD and video switch. I built a small shelf that is just big enough to hold the DVR. The shelf is made with a piece of plywood about 17 x 17 with 1 x 3s on three sides. I mounted it by drilling through the 1 by 3s into the bottom sides of the existing electronics cabinet. I will post some pictures later to show what I did.

I do have a question I got everything connected and working except the sub woofer. The one that came with the RCA Home Theater is a passive and the Yamaha needs an amplified one. My sub woofer is under the sink. Does anyone have some ideas on replacements?
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi itdave

My friend Benny "The Viking" is currently driving our motorhome - he is somewhere around Sacramento in California. I know that he has just replaced the sub woofer.

I will get in touch and ask him what he bought. He is quite pleased with it so I am looking forward to hear it.

I will be in touch.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by itdave:

I do have a question I got everything connected and working except the sub woofer. The one that came with the RCA Home Theater is a passive and the Yamaha needs an amplified one. My sub woofer is under the sink. Does anyone have some ideas on replacements?
Dave,
I ran into the same problem when I replaced the POC RCA. Running line level audio cables was not realistic so I bought a small amp and installed it in the small cabinet on the left side of the electronics cabinet and above the drivers seat. I had to drill a couple of holes for the ac and other wires and ran them to the electronics cabinet. The amp I bought is called a plate amp, commonly used for subwoofers. Parts Express is a great source. The unit I bought is here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-784

More than enough power and does a great job. I ran into a little bit of a heat problem so I installed a temperature controlled variable speed fan (2.25") in the upper right hand corner that drastically reduced the heat. Not sure the fan was really needed but I installed a similar fan (2.75) in the electronics cabinet to tame the heat generated by the DirecTV receiver.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Great Dane,
What a clever and secure way to gain some space. Thanks for the idea on beefing up the support for the shelf under the electronics cabinet. I too have run out of room in the electronics cabinet since I replaced the RCA receiver and added a dedicated DVD player. I think I will copy your idea if ok with you.

Great Job,
mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
My friend Benny "The Viking" is currently driving our motorhome - he is somewhere around Sacramento in California. I know that he has just replaced the sub woofer.

I will get in touch and ask him what he bought. He is quite pleased with it so I am looking forward to hear it.
He installed a Yamaha YST-FSW100b subwoofer. He soldered RCA plugs at both ends of the existing wires. The subwoofer needs power to operate and for this purpose he has added to the electric outlet/socket located just under the kitchen sink.

He bought the unit at Best Buy for $150.

I hope this information is of use.

Sixpack98 - it would be very pleased if you could copy the installation that we did. I hope it works for you like it has worked for us.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The subwoofer needs power to operate and for this purpose he has added to the electric outlet/socket located just under the kitchen sink
Only problem I see with that is that outlet is powered by the inverter. Another load when drycamping. If always hooked up to power it becomes a non-issue.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[quote]Originally posted by The_Danes_are_comeing:
Quote:

Sixpack98 - it would be very pleased if you could copy the installation that we did. I hope it works for you like it has worked for us.
Thanks Great Dane. Was the wires running to your subwoofer coaxial? On mine it was just regular copper wiring. Be interested on how it performs. Or, are you driving the Yamaha sub via the speaker level inputs?

If you still run into a heat problem with the DirecTV receiver in the entertainment cabinet here is a link to a fan project I am doing. Dropped the temp to almost normal.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9156094452/m/33310512641

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sixpack98

The wiring is normal copper. We didn't change anything else.

It will be another month before I am back in the coach, so I can't give you a first hand opinion. Benny - who installed the sub woofer - is saying that the new one compared to the old one is like night and day. He is very particular about his sound quality and he is very pleased with the new sound.

Thanks for the tip on the fan. Yes - our compartment is way to hot, so this may well be one thing that I would do.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally posted by CoolJourney:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:

Anyway, while things are working relatively well now, my Magnadyne DVD player has just started to displaying the skipping problem that others have reported. Noticed it a couple of times now, and my coach is now out of warranty. If it gets any worse, and Monaco won't replace the radio for free, I've made up my mind that I'm going to tear out the entire system and have a good sound shop install something better.
Robin, I hear your pain. We are on our second Magnadyne (a brand new one installed by our dealer in early Nov.). Our original Magnadyne played some, but not all DVDs. Shortly after installation the new Magnadyne played every DVD all the way through with no problems. Now after about 3 1/2 months the new Magnadyne is failing and most DVDs stop and won't play any further after about 20 min. When this happens we have to drag out our Laptop and watch the DVD on the small screen. As you can imagine this is quite irritating since it always seems to happen in a critical scene in the movie. Many others have reported similar issues after 2-3 new installations of Magnadyne units, so I started looking for a better in-dash unit to resolve the problem. Some folks had mentioned the Pioneer AVIC-D3 DVD/Navigation system, but at a minimum of $600 this would be an expensive solution, plus cutting a larger hole in the dash for the double din Pioneer.

We decided to invest in a new, stand-alone Sony Upconverting DVD player ($85 out the door) and install it in our system. We connected it via the HDMI connector (feeds both audio and video through one cable) directly to the Sharp Aquos. WOW! What a difference in the picture AND most importantly all DVDs play through with no problem. I really don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Other than DVD play, we only use the Magnadyne for audio switching (between the AV1 and AV2 connections) and feeding audio to the amp for the so-called surround sound system. While installing the Sony DVD player I decided to connect our satellite TV receiver directly to the TV via the S-Video connection. The result is we have a MUCH better picture on the TV for satellite TV and DVDs and everything else works just as it should. The only kink I found is that while I can view DVDs through this setup on the rear TV the sound does not come out of the TV speakers. However, we can use the ceiling speakers in the bedroom for the very few times we would watch a DVD there.

Something to consider for those of us with intermittant DVD playability problems with the Magnadyne units.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Have the same problem (20 minutes and dvd freezes up), will call my dealer next week. My bedroom unit just stopped working also, will ask them to have both units available to switch out when I take it back in March, we are now fulltimers and I won't have time till then. I did install a Sony Blue Ray in the overhead to the right of the TV, it works great. Jim
Jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote