RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #1

Homemade Basement Slideout. Anyone Build One?

Over the past 5 days I read all 27 pages of Quick Tips and Easy Mods (Monaco Style) and did not see any one who had built a slide in their basement. My coach is a 2001 and can not (and will not) spend $500.00 on a slideout. I don't need one that goes all the way across just half way will work.

Anyone have any ideas? Plans? Don't need nothin fancy smanchy......

Thanks and thanks to all gave their ALL........

2017 Silverado Z-71 Pulling 2017.5 Lance 1985
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lee,
Your comment that your future slide need not "go all the way across" allows you to consider drawer slides from home centers (H.Depot/Lowes). The upper-end of these products include "full length drawer extension" functionality ... which offers the longest "throw" for the buck. At this point, you just need to assemble a plywood shelf and you're good-to-go.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Negotiated a slide drawer in our new coach but making one would not be too difficult. Some plywood, cam bearings, several feet of angle iron and some paint is about it, ezcept for the cutting, welding, sawing, drilling, etc.

burfurd
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #4

Robi.1014 I know what your saying but they seem to only come in at 24 inches. Which is way better then I have but I was hoping for more like 48. I have googled and so far have not found any... Thanks for the input.....

burford; I had also thought about bearings and angle iron but I do not weld. I suppose I could bolt everything together. Thanks for the input...

Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #5

$500 sounds pretty inexpensive to me; of course I have always mandated that if you were going to modify or upgrade ANYTHING, at least make it look "factory." On the other side,if someone can spend in some cases, several hundred thousand for a coach, and several thousand a month when it is on the road...........it just doesn't figure the reluctance to me to me, this is a functional upgrade that will add value to your coach.......

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but you seem a lot like my late father-in-law, when he took my mother-in-law out to eat, they would ALWAYS drink water, because he said "I'm not paying $1.29 for a glass of tea!"...................

Back years ago, I used to do a good bit of custom fabrication, along with pneumatics and hydraulics; when I quoted a job, it always had these three characteristics...........QUALITY FIRST..................FIT AND FINISH..............LONG TERM RELIABILITY..............then I tell the customer, here is the price to do this "level" of work; if you want it fine, if you don't take your business elsewhere. I once had a man who needed a "patch" job repair; his new Oldsmobile had a bad engine bearing, and he just wanted to patch it up enough to sell it later. I refused the job for this reason....patching is no quality, if when I am through you are happy with way it runs, you probably will not sell it..........and then when it is knocking again in about a month........YOU will not tell your friends what a cheap a** you were, YOU will tell them what a bad deal you got from me!!! Any tradesman only has his or her reputation to stand on, and it must be protected...............
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replied as I also would be interested in the suggestions. If I can save several hundred dollars by using my abilities and suggestions from other members, rather than just my wallet, I will explore all options.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also refused to spend $500. So I built my own. I bought the most Heavy Duty ones I could find. Used nuts and bolts to secure them to the walls of the compartment and cut a 3/4 inch plywood floor that I carpeted. It came out great. Easy and cheap
They might not pull out as far as the $500 version but they pull out far enough to get the job done.
http://www.drawerslides.com/c/knape-vogt-4100
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I was interested in building my own also. I found this link for a freezer slideout (with photos) that may stimulate thought on a longer slideout...

RV NOW with Jim Twamley: Build your own RV slide-out storage tray
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Google 48 inch drawer slides. They are about $200 a pair, so $500 for a completed unit isn't that far out of line.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
48" 500# capacity Accuride slide at Amazon for $248 + shipping

48" 500# slides at Amazon for $197 + shipping

go longer

60" 500# slides at Amazon for $255 + shipping

or go shorter

36" 500# slide at Amazon for $125 + shipping

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #11

Romeo..................EXCELLENT LINK; VERY GOOD PICTURES AND DETAILS.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Accuride Heavy Duty Full-Extension Slides (Series 9301) - Rockler Woodworking Tools

This will give you heavy duty slides any length that makes you happy. Also mounting hardware on the same site. For a price but very available. Affordable? well that's relative. Good luck with your project.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #13

Geeeeeeee scgator thanks for chastising me on not wanting to do quality work. Some of us just want to save a bucks yet get what WE want!

To the rest thanks so much for the input and great ideas, I thank this "Ol Poor" do-it-yourselfer can make this work.....

Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I find that my work is a higher quality than a lot of "professionals" since it's sometimes hard to find a "real" professional that does quality work. Of course it takes me longer, and I have to learn each time I take on a new task, but find that I am happy with the results. I have more time than money!

There are times I will pay, rather than doing it myself, however.

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slideout