Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Honda CRV air bag recall ?

I just received the letter about the air bag recall,The letter says it could cause serious injury or fatality.
They will provide a rental car,but what are you all going to do for a row car??
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #2

Did they give any info on the time for your parts to arrive at the dealer ?
Or how long your dealer would require the vehicle?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
I just received the letter about the air bag recall,The letter says it could cause serious injury or fatality.
They will provide a rental car,but what are you all going to do for a row car??
Yes, I am sure they would be happy to provide a "rental" car and collect rental fees. My letter did not say anything about the cost of a replacement vehicle.

The letter also says that replacement parts are not available yet, nor does it say when they will be available. Even if they were to provide a replacement, it would not be equipped for towing.

We leave on a long trip in 5 weeks that will take us across North America and back, totaling more than 12,000 miles and our CR-V likely won't be back home for a year or more.

Ours is a 2008 and since the airbag has not gone off yet and I see no viable option, we're forced to continue using it and periodically check in on when the repair parts are available to have it fixed during our trip.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was a news report on the radio yesterday that another person was killed by an air bag. I cannot believe that parts will not be available until mid summer. Wonder if they can be held responsible for any more injuries caused between now and mid summer.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #5

While I do not have a Honda anymore I believe this has to do with Takata the company that supplied the airbags. There is a recall on something like up to 34 million of them across approximately 2 dozen auto manufacturers. I am not defending Takata by any means but if you have to come up with 34 million airbag parts that isn't going to happen overnight, this week or even this month.
As far as being held responsible for deaths in the meantime unsure but in our litigious society I would not doubt it.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

This is the 10th fatality. For those of you who don't know the story, Takata airbags may have the propellant explode when deployed, rather than just inflating the bag, resulting in metal shrapnel in your neck. If I received an airbag notice, and needed to drive the vehicle, I would find and remove the airbag fuse or otherwise disable the thing.

This is corporate fraud at the highest level and the product liability lawyers will feast at what remains of Takata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
There was a news report on the radio yesterday that another person was killed by an air bag. I cannot believe that parts will not be available until mid summer. Wonder if they can be held responsible for any more injuries caused between now and mid summer.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm told that the repair takes a couple of hours. It does not need to be done at your 'home' dealership. Maybe Honda could help you find a dealership to do the job for you while you're out on the road traveling.

This is not a Honda specific issue. Our Honda Pilot has the airbag recall, as does our 2009 Dodge Dakota.

As far as the legalistic aspect of this, I don't know. I have received notice from both Honda and Chrysler about the airbag issue. If an airbag now deploys, injuring or killing someone in the process, possibly the manufacture will say that's on me?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

This was discussed last month.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/cr-v-...ll-284158.html

The problem is Honda is going to a new manufacturer for the inflators and it does take time to design and manufacture these millions and millions of items. My recall does say a replacement vehicle could be available based on individual situations. However, I would doubt they would provide a temporary car setup for towing.

The dilemma for those of us with recalled cars for this problem is safety. Only a very small percent of inflators cause injuries. So the question becomes is it safer to take the remote chance with a airbag failing and causing injury or being in a crash without an airbag because you disconnected it, or take a chance you will never be in a accident?

From what I read on that accident taking the woman's life, their car was recalled but the recall was never performed.

When this problem first surfaced several years ago, the recall was limited to the Southern high humidity states because it was thought humidity was the culprit. Now several years later and many miles later, the new wave of recalls is here covering the whole country.

I used to investigate accidents in construction zones and I became convinced these things do save lives. I wouldn't be without one. I'm going to take the chance I won't have a accident between now and July, and if I do I'm going to take the chance my Honda's airbag will perform flawlessly.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
4.2 million vehicles of various manufacturers are involved. GMC says it will be 2 years before they have sufficient number of bags to do the recall. Jeep told me 1.5 years. My mom'sl Honda Civic has had the bags on back order for 9 months now. I seriously doubt you will get a rental car.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I just got off the phone with American Honda, asking them about potential ways of dealing with this recall.

As stated in an earlier post, we depart in mid-May on a long trip of about 12,000 miles and our CR-V won’t be back home for more than a year. I explained this to the Honda rep and advised her that our CR-V is flat towed behind our motorhome and asked what our options might be to get the recall repair done as soon as possible and to minimize potential risk in the interim.

The rep stated that I should talk to my local Honda dealer about a rental car. When I reminded her about the timing she said that I would have to talk to the Honda dealer about the additional time until the car was back home.

I asked, “Does Honda pay for the rental and what try of car do they provide?” She said Honda will provide (pay for) a small subcompact and if I require anything more I would have to pay for that myself.

I asked about the need for a flat towable vehicle and the need for both a tow plate and supplemental braking system. She stated that Honda would provide a small subcompact and if I require anything more I would have to pay for that myself.

I attempted to explain to her that this was of no assistance as most Honda vehicles can no longer be flat towed and that the installation of a tow package would be a considerable cost and permanently effect the rental car. After talking to someone else (supervisor?) she stated that Honda would provide a small subcompact and if I require anything more I would have to pay for that myself.

Okay, it was obvious this was getting me nowhere so it was time to switch gears.

Since I will be away from home when the “parts are available” notice comes, can I have the notification sent by email rather than regular snail mail. She said the notices are sent by mail, not email. I asked again and she said she would mark down my request but could promise nothing in this regard as the notices are sent through the postal system.

What about minimizing risk in the interim, I asked? Can the airbag be disabled. I was told “no, as that would be a liability.” I guess they consider that they no longer have a liability of the bag exploding now that I have been notified.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #11

Thanks for sharing that experience Ron. It sort of, kind of, maybe clarifies thing on the rental aspect of the recall. So reading between the lines, getting a short term replacement car completely set up for towing is out of the question for Honda unless "I would have to pay for that myself".

I'm surprised about the email notification though. You would think they would be able to do that.

Once again thanks for taking the time to relate the conversating
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #12

Availability can be different depending on you location. This past fall our intern here at the refuge received her initial notice, called and had need in a week. We just received a notice about a Honda the Refuge owns. Its now parked and locked as the same dealership has a 9 month wait time.
Our Element is needing it but darned if we, as fulltimers, can figure out how we are gonna get it done
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We'll be on the road in eastern Canada when the parts become available, IF they make the summer timeline. I was told we could get the recall done at any Honda dealer.

I'll be watching the forum and hopefully someone will update this thread when the parts show up.

My wife is freaking out right now, asking if we should buy another car right now, before our trip, as our CR-V is unsafe.

Tags
recall, honda