Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-13 View Post
Since we're talking about charging the house batteries here, I have a new owner question. Should an '09 Dynasty be able to run the fridg and keep the house batteries charged if no other electrical demand is in use and the power source is 20amp 110? In my case I had a 100 ft heavy gage cord connected and the source CB kept tripping.
Welcome to the forum! How much current does your panel indicate you're pulling? The fridge shouldn't pull much current but I would suspect the combination of your 100' extension cord and perhaps your charger kicking in could contribute to the problem. With my Dimensions Inverter/Charger the house batteries continue to be drawn down and then recharge. When my charger kicks in it can draw as much as 25 amps depending on the settings.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Since we're talking about charging the house batteries here, I have a new owner question. Should an '09 Dynasty be able to run the fridg and keep the house batteries charged if no other electrical demand is in use and the power source is 20amp 110? In my case I had a 100 ft heavy gage cord connected and the source CB kept tripping.

Quick anwer: YES
Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #17

Pat-13, are we talking about a residential frig or a camper/RV fridge. My residential fridge only draws around 3 amps when the compressor is on. If plugged in to a "20 amp" I have to be careful and not have too many things turned on. I can run my electric heater element in my Aqua-Hot and the frig with no problems but if my wife turns on the microwave or her hair dryer it is going to pop the breaker. Most house breakers are 15 amp but what else in the house uses that circuit and that maybe what is tripping the breaker? I have a Camco Power Maximizer device that allows me to split the 50 amp into two 15 amp outlets if they are on separate breakers. They only thing I do first is to use one of those outlet checkers with the lights to make sure the outlets are wired up correctly and I have the breakers turned off when I connect it.

Also, what is your definition of a heavy duty extension cord? What gauge wire does it use and how many amps is it rated. The best extension cord I have found so far is made by Rigid and it is orange and sold at Lowes. I have three fifty foot sections so I can wire up my splitter in most any houses. This way I can have 30 amp service.

The other thing that is great about the Camco Power Maximizer is that I can use it in a 30 amp campground outlet with the 15 amp and get 45 amp service or run an extension cord to the next sites unused 30 amp and get 50+ amps.

Amazon.com: Camco 55025 RV Power Grip Maximizer 45 Amp Adapter: Automotive
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
97 Windsor,

I'm not sure but I don't think your coach uses a BIRD. I think it probably uses a solid state isolator, which is a fairly large box with 3 posts on it. The center post is where the alternator output wire is connected. The post on the left is for the house batteries, the post on the right for the chassis batteries. Inside this box are diodes that allow the current to flow from the center post out to the two outside posts, but will not allow current to flow back from the two outside posts back to the center post.

It's pretty simple technology, and works really well, except: if the house batteries are allowed to become too low on charge, and the alternator is used to try to charge them up, it will overheat the diodes in the solid state isolator and burn them out. Then you need to replace the isolator.

If your coach uses this isolator, it should be easy to find. It should be in the engine compartment, and you can trace the alternator output wire to the isolator center post.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This depends on how you run your frig. If it's on AC and is using your converter....this is a large DC draw from your batteries. You might want to switch the frig over to propane while doing this to save you quite a few amp hours.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pat-13,
Yes to your question. But there are actions that you must/should take when your source is less than 30 amps (20 in this case as you noted).

At your control panel, the Inverter probably has a push-button switch to "tell" the Inverter not to gobble up very much power while it maintains the house batts. Example: you can instruct the Inverter to not use more than, say, 5 amps. When plugged into 50 amps, you "tell" the Inverter to use as much as it wants.

Now for specifics:
The refer should use maybe 6 or 7 amps max. Make sure your Hot Water Heater is not "electric powered" because the HWH needs something on the order of 13 amps. So if the refer and HWH were both ON at the same time, that pops your 20 amp breaker. Other items in your coach are drawing power at lower levels, but when totaled up, they may collectively draw an amp or two: your satellite receiver, your TVs (even tho they are OFF), AC-powered devices like clocks, the microwave, etc. WRT these latter items, I've not had trouble running the refer (and these devices) on a 15 amp circuit.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all for the info. When I picked it up I started the genset and let it run for about 20 min with the inverter/charger on before I the started the engine. I left the generator run while I drove home about 1 1/2 hrs then plugged in. We have a battery company in my town and I will take there Fri for them to do a load test on the batteries and will post the results here. I hope the batts are not ruined because they were new in April 2010
97windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #22

I also want to thank everyone for your help with my novice questions. As always, the forum is the best place to get help. I will try the various suggestions and see if I can figure out the way to set the inverter as Robi.1014 recommends. It never ceases to amaze me how hands on experience trumps just reading the manuel, every time. I'm pretty sure this won't be my last request for help, but I am learning. Thanks again.
Pat-13 is offline   Reply With Quote