Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
House batteries not charging

Driving down the road. No generator. Chassis batteries charging at 13++ voltage. House batteries not charging. Victron display showing batteries being depleated.

BB Relay is 2 years old and is working. If I press the battery boost switch at drivers seat, I hear it engage. (When I’m stopped). If I press switch when driving, victron immediately shows house batteries charging.

I suspect my IRD is not sending signal to connect. I don’t have a BIRD

Thoughts on testing ird? I don’t think there’s a fuse?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #2

Alternators usually charge at 14 or 14.1. you should check voltage at the chassis batteries with the engine just up from idle, 800 rpm.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #3
YC1

Not much to test. Find it and see if it is sending the control signal.

It could be a generator cutout relay. That is, the signal may pass through a relay that is activated when the generator is running so both charging systems are not competing.

I know I have one on our 2008 Endeavor

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Alternators usually charge at 14 or 14.1. you should check voltage at the chassis batteries with the engine just up from idle, 800 rpm.
Thanks. I’ll check it out.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Not much to test. Find it and see if it is sending the control signal.

It could be a generator cutout relay. That is, the signal may pass through a relay that is activated when the generator is running so both charging systems are not competing.

I know I have one on our 2008 Endeavor
I’ll have to research that relay.

Is the ird failing a common occurrence? This one is original on coach.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:06 AM   #6
YC1

Bill, it is not a common failure as much as the Trombetta relay used in many systems or the Salesman solenoid either but they do fail.

My BIRD failed after just a couple of years and it was a long while before I found a replacement. In the mean time I had various work-arounds with success.

If you find yours is bad there are some other setups that work well. As suggested, your voltage has to get to (??13.1 or so) for a couple of minutes as there is a built in delay.

Thanks for the tip on the roof drains btw.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #7

Bill-

Here are links to two posts I made on another post. One talks about the IRD, and the second has the information to order a BIRD upgrade to the IRD.

Charging Chassis Batteries On Shore Power - Post 9
Charging Chassis Batteries on Shore Power - Post 22

As always, your coach may be different. There are pictures in that thread showing the owner's 2007 Camelot, which may be similar to your coach (or not).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #8
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
I'm on the check the alternator side. Believe it needs around 13.5 to connect.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I was vague on first post. Alternator is outputting 13.6. According to my research, that should be high enough.

Mark. I did see those posts about the bird. Thanks for reminding me.

I did experiment a little this afternoon. I’m going to test it tomorrow and report back findings.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Bill, it is not a common failure as much as the Trombetta relay used in many systems or the Salesman solenoid either but they do fail.

My BIRD failed after just a couple of years and it was a long while before I found a replacement. In the mean time I had various work-arounds with success.

If you find yours is bad there are some other setups that work well. As suggested, your voltage has to get to (??13.1 or so) for a couple of minutes as there is a built in delay.

Thanks for the tip on the roof drains btw.
Your welcome

I replaced the trombetta a couple years ago. It going strong and allowing the power to connect when asked from my boost switch. Just not from my IRD

I do have a cable I could hook positive house to pos chassis but it hasn’t been that big of an issue yet. .
Old 09-15-2021, 02:59 AM   #11
YC1

Bill, you can just use a small jumper to power the little post on the trombetta where the purple wire is versus having to use a heavy duty jumper from battery to battery.

A simple inline switch could be fashioned as well. You would need to put it on a checklist to prevent forgetting it on when not needed.

The purple wire is the control wire for both the boost switch and the IRD but I know how these snow flakes are and electron are color blind so just put a voltmeter on the little terminals of the trombetta to verify the emergency start button fires off the solenoid.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Bill, you can just use a small jumper to power the little post on the trombetta where the purple wire is versus having to use a heavy duty jumper from battery to battery.

A simple inline switch could be fashioned as well. You would need to put it on a checklist to prevent forgetting it on when not needed.

The purple wire is the control wire for both the boost switch and the IRD but I know how these snow flakes are and electron are color blind so just put a voltmeter on the little terminals of the trombetta to verify the emergency start button fires off the solenoid.
Many IRDs and BIRDs modulate the voltage down to about 8 volts, after closing the trombetta with 12 volts.

Just powering it up with a constant 12 volts, long term, can cause it to overheat and fail.

I would stick with the jumper.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
This morning, IRD worked as designed. About 1 hour later it disconnected and we couldn’t get it to connect. Drove 5 hours.

With engine running, no generator
Chassis batteries reading 13.7
Alladin display 13.5
Chassis/battery cable at front run bay 13.7
Front run bay where IRD plugs into circuit board 12.1—this is the issue.

I don’t have a wiring diagram. Possible bad circuit board?
Old 09-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't believe I've ever seen less than 14.0V from my alternator, although 13.5 or 13.7v still should be enough to close your BB solenoid.

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries