RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

House Battery Issue

Checked our house battery status two days ago and indicator above passenger's seat indicated fully charged.

Left the coach this morning and all systems were working. Returned several hours later and noticed both AC units had stopped working. Began to check other systems and found the toilet would not flush, passenger slide and awning will not retract and many interior light inoperative.

House batteries are only three years old. Water level in batteries is normal.

No issue with starting the engine or generator. However, noticed with the generator on, the above systems still do not work. AC units worked normally yesterday with the generator on.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

norcalhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like maybe the solenoid that connects the house batteries to the Coach is dropping out and you are then loosing the 12vdc power. Some call this solenoid the "Big Boy".........do a search using the search bar at the top of the page and you will find a lot of info. on them. If you can locate the solenoid, take a meter and see if the voltage is the same on both the big lugs......
Have you tried switching the "Store" button to see if you can hear it picking up and dropping out? You and also get a same size piece of wire and a couple of terminals and make a jumper to bypass the solenoid.
Here is just one thread to look over to get started http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/big-...ng-237860.html
There is a lot of threads/info if you use the search bar.....

Old 06-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Were you running the a/c units off of an inverter or house power? Are you 50 amp or 30 amp service. If you are 59 amp you may have lost one leg of the power.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #4

We are currently hooked up to 50 Amp at the RV park. Ran the generator yesterday while traveling in order to use the AC units and keep the coach cooler. Everything was great until this afternoon when numerous systems began to fail.

At a complete loss right now. Already have set plans to tomorrow so the earliest a mobile mechanic can get here in Durango, CO is Thursday.

Absolutely sick to my stomach at this time and ready to sell the coach as it's becoming a money pit. It's one issue after another.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #5

I'm pretty mechanically inclined until it's comes to the electrical system of our motorhome. Absolutely no idea what to check even after reviewing the link provided.

A stick of dynamite will work as I have had it with our RV. It's one thing after another and cannot even enjoy our vacation right now.

Thank for the suggestion of what to check but I am absolutely clueless.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Take it one step at a time. I feel your frustration.

What coach do you have? Year? From your picture it looks like a sig or something similar?? That info will help here.

You may have a couple issues. Look at the 120 volt side right now.
You're plugged into a good campground plug and getting good power, I assume. Does the display inside the coach show you're getting power there?

If not, let us know.

If so, try shutting off and then turning on your circuit breakers for the air conditioners.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum..

Find the switch near the door referred to as the salesman switch. It probably got bumped off or decided to disengage.

This is such a common issue.

This switch may be called the house switch etc. It will be near the entry. Designed to kill lots of things on the way in and out.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #8

You've not said that you checked your power source from the park pedestal. They are notorious for failing. You really should add your coach make, year and model to your profile so we can see what you are working with.

If you lost shore power, what you experienced would be completely expected. Also, depending on your coach and its technology, if it doesn't like something about the shore power source it will open the transfer switch. It will do this with too high or too low voltage, an open neutral or an open ground, and maybe an overcurrent situation, you'll be left to your inverter and your batteries.

Don't blame your coach quite yet. The problem may lie elsewhere. Good luck, and do know that we all feel your pain. Once you get to know the basics, you'll hopefully start to really enjoy your investment.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning, hopefully things look a little better today. It sounds as if one leg of your 50 amp power Has shut down. Try unplugging all power sources and then start over. One possibility is that one of the relays in your transfer switch has not closed. As stated before. Start over and take it one step at a time. Do you have good power on both legs of your shore power pedestal. Is yes, check the power cord at your trailer. If that is good the next thing in line should be your transfer switch. Check the incoming power at your circuit breaker panel. You need to determine where you are losing the power. Once you do that we can make further suggestions.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV's can be frustrating at times! My parents rented a bumper pull TT back in 1957 and headed to the SW from WA state. The TT almost pulled the bumper off the Plymouth station wagon they had but they persisted and we had a good time even with an ice box and trying to find ice for it.
Then they ordered a 1958 KenCraft TT special built. It blew tires out almost every trip due to it's overweight condition. I can't tell you haw many trips were interrupted by having to find a new tire! Finally he changed to truck tires, which were so big that they promptly pounded the wheel wells out, so there we were in the SW again in a rain storm. My mother and I rode in the trailer and mopped up the water as it came in. Made it to Pikes Peak and my father got a caulking gun and caulked up the wheel wells. We then had a good trip and didn't give up RV'ing!
Get it figured out and go on with your plans!!!!
I could post my horror story with the present rig but I won't as it's already chronicled in the Cummins forum under one of the threads on "dropped a valve in #6". Cost me over $22,000 but I'm back on the road even though the DW has died in the meantime. Will I give it up? Yep at some point I'll be too old but until then.... See you on the road!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check your rear electrical bay in the engine compartment. Mine would trip the circuit breaker and most of the 12v (and A/C) would be off.

Behind the black cover in the upper right:

The yellow lever on the right/center

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery