Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

How a Monaco Windsor is hooked to a wrecker?

Hello, I have always wondered which hitch points a tow truck driver would use when hauling my Windsor? Do you use a lift under the front wheels or those two square tubes that go up to the frame or a landall flat bed. Hope I never have to find out BUT it would be nice to know in advance how to have it done. Hope someone can fill me in. Peter in Maine
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
With a Trailking or Landol type of lowbed with all wheels on the trailer or with a stinger tow truck with your drive shaft removed. With the stinger they would grab the front axel. No idea where they grab IFS.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yikes, I've had mine towed twice.

Both times they lifted the front of the coach under the front axle. Removed the drive shaft. Hooked air to the coach via the connector next to the generator. Can't remember what they did for lights.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would think a coach would be to high on a drop deck of any kind. I hauled a couple of wrecks (trucks) when I was truckin, had to remove all of the wheels and put them on an RGN and I was still a bit over height!
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #5

Bigger companies have software that marks every wire, every bridge height. They know if they can put you on a landall. Don't ever let them raise the coach very high if they are lifting it by the front end. More than one tag has been destroyed. Pulling the axles or the drive shaft is a must. I prefer the axles. But the truck has to have axle caps that fit. I just bought a set to carry with me. An ifs cannot be hooked and lifted. It must be a wheel lift or trailered.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:44 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We got a tow once and they hooked up and lifted from the front tires, disconnected the drive shaft and hooked an airline for the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossroads tow setup.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	343453  
Old 09-18-2021, 06:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Yikes, I've had mine towed twice.

Both times they lifted the front of the coach under the front axle. Removed the drive shaft. Hooked air to the coach via the connector next to the generator. Can't remember what they did for lights.
Same here but only towed once. TT had a light bar which he attached to the rear of my MH.

The driveshaft must be removed. When reinstalled make sure it is reinstalled with the yokes in phase

https://www.drivelinesnw.com/sites/d...es/Phasinh.png
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
The driveshaft must be removed. When reinstalled make sure it is reinstalled with the yokes in phase

https://www.drivelinesnw.com/sites/d...es/Phasinh.png

Last time I was towed it was to Cummins. The tow driver did not install the drive shaft, Cummins did. After the repair, as I was driving home, I felt a vibration and crawled underneath. Sure enough, driveshaft out of phase, pulled it out and put it back in phase.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:27 AM   #9

Towed once with previous motorhome (2002 HR Imperial). 290 km tow to Winnepeg from Sioux Narrows area. Pic says it all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakdown.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	343459  
Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #10
YC1

Tow truck driver pulled out this extension L shaped device to check the height of our rig under towing height.

Had battery operated lights for the rear.

Scary sight seeing our home going down the road in front of us. We are full timers.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
On the last tow I rode in the truck with driver, which was reassuring. He knew every place to slow down, changed lanes to avoid bumps, watched his speed.
The first time with our Monaco was towed I was leaving town so only got to talk to the driver as he was pulling into our subdivision. My wife watched him hook up and then followed. She said he drove fast and the motorhome was swaying all over the place. They must have put the driveshaft in right cause she went on a ~2500 mile trip as soon as it was fixed.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #12

The one time that we had to have our motor home taken to the shop, they brought out a low boy trailer and loaded it. Height was pushing the limits, but I felt it was the best way to move it. It was a 90 mile trip and not cheap!!!!!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post

Pulling the axles or the drive shaft is a must. I prefer the axles. But the truck has to have axle caps that fit. I just bought a set to carry with me. An ifs cannot be hooked and lifted. It must be a wheel lift or trailered.
Where did you get your axle caps?
I've only seen them sold as a set (a pair each for multiple axle flange bolt arrangements) and they're expensive as a set.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdube View Post
Hello, I have always wondered which hitch points a tow truck driver would use when hauling my Windsor? Do you use a lift under the front wheels or those two square tubes that go up to the frame or a landall flat bed. Hope I never have to find out BUT it would be nice to know in advance how to have it done. Hope someone can fill me in. Peter in Maine
Peter, this is a great question you are asking because I had a 42' 2004 Monaco Dynasty Diamond Four towed and the driver disconnected the driveshaft and picked it and towed it by the front end. This was my first (and only) towing I so had no idea and I didn't ask how it was supposed to be hooked up. This way of towing was wrong and it destroyed my tag axle. I called Monaco after the fact and they said it had to be towed on a flatbed. My advice is to call Monaco if you want to know for sure on your Windsor.

Carl in New Mexico
coscar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, wind, windsor