Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

How and where can a surge protector be installed?

Just bought a 2005 Windsor with power cord....reel is not visible. I want to install a surge protector, but don't know where it could go. Has anyone installed one?
Thanks, Jim
Jimbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Hope somebody can help you on the internal location.

I have an 09 Camelot and put my PT-50C on the pedestal and plug my cord into it. Easy-peasy.

BTW, my unit is not just a surge protector. Surges are the thing that happens least. My unit also protects against over and under voltage, the scourge and bane of RV power circuits.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

The options that I am aware of are: external at the power pole, internal where the power cord connects, and internal on the output side of the transfer switch. The first two offer the same protection: protection from external power only. The third offers the additional protection against a generator fault.

I personally have used the third method, but the wiring was easy to access on my rig. Access may limit you to one of the first two options.

You will see arguements that the generator will not fail in a manner to cause coach damage. That is just not true! But, you may not have a practical choice.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the way I did it, as I had the room next to the transfer switch for my Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C surge protector.
This picture was taken lying on my back, looking at the ceiling of the bay where my transfer switch is attached.

After mounting the new PI HW50C, I removed the center flexible conduit, with the wires, from the transfer switch and attached to the PI box. I then came out of the PI box and back into the transfer switch, using the same gauge wires as original, inside a new piece of flexible conduit.

In my case, the center conduit is from the cord reel input. I chose to to monitor/protect only the incoming source and not the generator. If one wanted to protect from both sources, you would would pick the output source from the transfer switch and insert the PI in that line instead of the input line.

The small cord attached to the PI is the data cable for the remote display, which I mounted inside the coach.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Here is the way I did it, as I had the room next to the transfer switch for my Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C surge protector.
This picture was taken lying on my back, looking at the ceiling of the bay where my transfer switch is attached.

After mounting the new PI HW50C, I removed the center flexible conduit, with the wires, from the transfer switch and attached to the PI box. I then came out of the PI box and back into the transfer switch, using the same gauge wires as original, inside a new piece of flexible conduit.

In my case, the center conduit is from the cord reel input. I chose to to monitor/protect only the incoming source and not the generator. If one wanted to protect from both sources, you would would pick the output source from the transfer switch and insert the PI in that line instead of the input line.

The small cord attached to the PI is the data cable for the remote display, which I mounted inside the coach.

Harry,

Puts me in mind of finishing sheet rock on the ceiling. I hate that stuff.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Here is how I installed my EMS 50C on my Diplomat... EMS HW 50C

As you see, the power cord reel is visible on my coach. But the point is that it goes between the reel and the transfer switch. If you can get to the transfer switch, you should mount it on the input side of that.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

Robin

Your mounting strategy then monitors only the incoming "line" voltages and connections, not the generator, right?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Robin

Your mounting strategy then monitors only the incoming "line" voltages and connections, not the generator, right?

Gary
Right. But I don't need to protect the electrical system from surges or faulty wiring on the generator side. And I can monitor the load on the generator from the power panel inside the coach, if I want.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

Robyn

I talked to Progressive's engineer today, and he also recommended inserting the HW-50C into the "line" ("Shore") cable, and not after the switch. Their logic was that you want to prevent the most likely source of surges and voltage spikes from blowing out the transfer switch, which they feel is the shore power, not the generators. Unfortunately, for me, that is a much more complicated wire routing to do than taking the output of the transfer switch as the source for the EMS. Still now sure what I am going to do.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Robyn

I talked to Progressive's engineer today, and he also recommended inserting the HW-50C into the "line" ("Shore") cable, and not after the switch. Their logic was that you want to prevent the most likely source of surges and voltage spikes from blowing out the transfer switch, which they feel is the shore power, not the generators. Unfortunately, for me, that is a much more complicated wire routing to do than taking the output of the transfer switch as the source for the EMS. Still now sure what I am going to do.

Gary
I have also been told installing it after the switch results in generator/switch issues. Because of that, I installed mine before the switch to see only Shore Power.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Robyn

Gary
I have also been told installing it after the switch results in generator/switch issues. Because of that, I installed mine before the switch to see only Shore Power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	60166