Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #1

How are mirrors attached and how do I re-secure them?

Hi folks. I hope someone can help. On our recent trip down I-25 through Colorado road conditions were so bad that the screw on the passenger side mirror backed out to the point I had to tie up the mirror to keep it from falling off. Since returning home I have not been able to find anyone locally who knows how to fix this. I have tried to access the screw heads from inside the generator compartment but the screws are located above the sealed compartment ceiling. I pulled the dash but it too is attached to a sheet of plywood that fits against windshield. Below the dash is also a sold surface in front of the dash A/C and heat ex changer. I am at a loss and need to fix this before our next trip in August. The mirrors appear to be secured from the "inside" as they are not accessible from the "out side". I am hoping there is an easy solutions I am just not seeing.
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What year and model is your coach? Do you have Velvac mirrors?

On most of these Monaco installed wood blocks into the fiberglass and the mirrors screw into the blocks. With age and corrosion it's common for the lag bolts to strip out.
Usually folks will drill all the way through and install a nut and fender washer on the inside.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #3

I filled the holws with gorilla glue and after it set reinstalled the mirror. You may have to use a splinter of wood along with the glue.
shootist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #4

I am not 100% sure on this but after exhaustive research I believe our 2005 Safari Cheetah has Velvac Revolution mirror. I will need to go to where the coach is stored to verify if this is the case. In the meantime I will add to the Files list a PDF on Velvac mirror assemblies in case anyone with Velvac mirrors has this issue.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:51 AM   #5

Vito.A, This i my idea as well. unfortunately I can not tell where the screws will come through to the "back" side so I do not know if I will have access to install with a fender washer and nut. Can you advise where these will come through?
Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #6

If you can post a pic of your mirror always helps.

Fill the holes with plastic tooth pics ( plastic wont absorb moisture ) packed tight and epoxy is another option.

To be a little clearer to be safe I taped off around the hole in need of repair. Wore rubber gloves and dipped each tooth pick in epoxy inserting them into the hole untill packed tight with tooth picks.

Let dry and drill small pilot holes...and re-mount your mirror.

Happy Trails
Old 07-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #7

I had hoped to up to next size lag bolt but hex head was too large. I was able to drill deeper and go longer. Just top bolts were getting stripped. I assume those who nut and bolted had slide out front genny to get up in there. My fix is working for now.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #8

Thinking out loud.

Should you decide to support the mirror mounting from the inside with something large behind it to firmly secure it such as a fender washer or the likes of ?...... should you ever accidently catch that mirror on something and tear it loose? ( that would never happen ...I just had a friend clip one on a toll booth) not only will you be purchasing a very expensive mirror ...but now also incur the very expensive cost of the repairs to the front of your coach to be repaired and painted ta boot!

Repairing the existing hole and using the same fastener is the way to fly IMO ....but to each their own.

Happy Trails
Old 07-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #9

Good point above.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote