Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How do I access the rear ABS sensors?

I have the constantly lit ABS warning light issue. I was able to clean the two front sensors. They were caked with about 1/4 inch of grease, grime, and dirt. Went to clean the rear sensors and I can't find them. The wire goes through a hole on the back of the inner wheel and then disappears between the wheels. Looks like no access unless the wheels come off. Is this the case?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5517.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	159456  
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, wheel has to come off.

Have you tried to retrieve you fault codes. My ABS system has a circuit board mounted in the front drivers side compartment, lower left side. There is a small black button and with a LED next to it. To retrieve the codes I have to

Turn the ignition on, do not start coach
Wait a short time and then press the brake pedal 1 time
Go out side and press the small black button on the board for ~1 second (if you press it too long it throws the ABS system into some sort of test mode and the ABS light will stay on all the time.
After a short time the LED light will blink. IF there are not faults the LED light will blink a code. If there are existing faults the LED light will blink 2 different numbers which will provide you the problem with your ABS system.

If you don't have a Bendix ABS manual/trouble shooting guide do a search for your model. Lots of info out there on these systems.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim. Well, there is a problem with the circuit board. The test button does not work. I took the button apart and it looks like the previous owner did the same thing and it is missing parts like a contact pad and a spring, so it is in-op. I tried putting a small screwdriver on the contacts to simulate a closed circuit and the red led stays lit. The dash light and the red led on the ABS remote board stay on all the time. I even tried the power down trick to no avail. They want $50 for a used board, but I don't think that is the problem and I don't want to spend $50 to replace a $.59 switch.

I drove the coach a few miles to see if cleaning the front sensors would clear the error but it didn't.

I saw another post where folks were power washing in and around the rear wheels to clean the sensor, but that seems like a shot in the dark.

I don't have heavy duty jacks and stands, so looks like I might have to pay some labor to have this repaired.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If the switch on the board is bad it may be your problem. In the past I would have to clean mine periodically by taking the board out and using compressed air to clean the button, blowing air and rapidly pushing the button to free it up.

If you are brave you might try replacing the button, which I think is a momentary type button. Although $50 for a used board seems extreme it may be the lesser of 2 evils.

I accidentally put my ABS system into a bypass mode by holding the button too long. The ABS light stayed on all the time. Read the manual and figured out what the problem was and how to fix it. Guess what, you need to use the button to fix this problem.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If you are brave you might try replacing the button, which I think is a momentary type button.
I am actually thinking about doing just that, but a schematic on the board has been hard to come by. Actually, any documentation on the ABS or that board has been very elusive on Google. You are really good at rat-holing docs, do you still have any documentation on it? LOL.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, the plot thickens. I pulled the ABS computer completely out of the equation and the red ABS light on the dash and the red led on the remote circuit board is still lit. Suspicious of the remote board now.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE: I purchased the used remote ABS board from Visone and installed it. ABS dash light is out, and the system is reporting everything ok! I did a panic brake test stop and the ABS in now working again.The $50 gamble paid off. I purchased this rig 3 years ago and the ABS light was always on. I was told by the previous owners that the ABS computer was dead and they actually discounted the rig another grand because of it. I guess they got a bad diagnosis.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Glad this worked out for you, troubleshooting this system can be very complicated to say the least. Seems like you got lucky.

I've had problem with my system periodically over the last ~9 years. I do have a number of documents in my data base. Probably the best though is the original that came with the rig, this is the one I found about the default mode and figured out how to fix.

Besides cleaning the button occasionally I added a good ground to the system.

Tags
abs