RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How do I adjust the mirror arm?

I pulled the plastic cap and loosened the nut that holds the mirror arm tight, but I can't get the arm to swing either way. I did not use excessive force but I believe it should have been enough force to move the mirror arm. How can I get the mirror "arm" to swing to the left or to the right?

Currently, I have to look through the lower left corner of my windshield to use my drives side rear view mirror. I want to adjust the arm so the mirror position is the same as the picture I have attached. In this position (pictured) I would look through the front of the drivers "side" window to use the drivers rear view mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Mirror position.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	75174  

tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd85208 View Post
I pulled the plastic cap and loosened the nut that holds the mirror arm tight, but I can't get the arm to swing either way. I did not use excessive force but I believe it should have been enough force to move the mirror arm. How can I get the mirror "arm" to swing to the left or to the right?

Currently, I have to look through the lower left corner of my windshield to use my drives side rear view mirror. I want to adjust the arm so the mirror position is the same as the picture I have attached. In this position (pictured) I would look through the front of the drivers "side" window to use the drivers rear view mirror.
Check this thread, Hope it helps.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mirr...ent-78308.html

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ramco or Velvac Mirrors?

Ramco has a cap to remove under the bottom of the cover and then loosen the nut. Give the arm a couple of whacks and it should free up.

Velvac has caps to remove and then an Allen wrench to loosen the set screws to allow the arm to swing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Driver / parker at the dealership I bought my coach, told me the first thing he would do if he owned my coach was swing that drivers side mirror in, like your pic. This guy was unbelievable at backing coaches!
I never did, due to I travel on lots of ferries, where I cant afford to be that extra few inches wider !
Old 09-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think you should move them that far out. Mine are the same mirrors as yours.

I've been through one toll road exit booth in New York that I wouldn't have made it through if mine were adjusted out like you want to do.

The other problem I can see happening is when you are going through a stretch of road with concrete barriers on both sides and an 18 wheeler passes you there is a chance of those mirrors hitting his mirrors.

Just my thoughts.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd85208 View Post

Tom,

I believe we have the same mirrors. To adjust the top portion there are two Allen set screws that you need to loosen. Be careful and leave them snug because the top portion of the mirror is attached to the arm with a articulating ball and will flop over if the set screws are two loose. Looking at your photo tells me what you need to adjust more than anything is the position of the arm. When you remove the plastic cap at the bottom and loosen the bolt the mirror arm does not move because the pin that attaches the arm to the mounting bracket is tapered. When that large bolt is tightened it pulls that taper down into the receiving socket and the arm is hard to move. Take a large rubber hammer and tap up on the arm to break the taper loose. You then should be able to re-position the arm. I have had luck by just hitting up on the mirror with my palm.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's my problem. one of the Q@#$#@ allen screws is frozen on one of my mirrors. The other one I managed to adjust,, I won't say how, but suffice to say I can "ADJUST!!!" when I need to.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Last week, while driving back from Missouri, I crossed the Mississippi on 2 VERY narrow bridges. Each time I passed a semi my cheeks puckered, and they weren't on my face. I believe if my mirrors were out that far they would have been torn off.

BTW, I had already had passenger side damaged going through a toll booth in Florida. I was within inches of the drivers side mirror not even thinking to look at the other mirror.

I would have 2nd thoughts of swinging my mirrors out any further.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #9

One would think that commercial truckers would know exactly how far the mirrors are allowed to be from outside-to-outside, and from each side of the centerline. I would have expected that to be some sort of federal regulation, wouldn't you?

That might not answer anyone's questions about personal preferences, or how to adjust a particular mirror, but certainly there is a federal regulation to be sure that all vehicles can clear any road condition?

And, yes, I am very familiar with the "mirror pucker factor" when navigating a coach in some dicey situations!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this exact problem with my passenger side Valvac. Unscrew the screw as loose or even remove the screw, my arm was corroded to the base plate. Shake the arm like mad and it eventually will come loose. I mean shake till the whole coach shakes, like you think you're going to break it.

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That's my problem. one of the Q@#$#@ allen screws is frozen on one of my mirrors. The other one I managed to adjust,, I won't say how, but suffice to say I can "ADJUST!!!" when I need to.
I got all but one allen set screws out and replaced them with stainless steel ones. I still have to work on that one last one. Pain it the a#$.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When we purchased our Monaco both mirrors were out front. I did like Bob said and moved the driver's side mirror back along side the driver's window. I like just looking out the diver's side window like I do on my cars to see the coming traffic. No problems in 4 years of driving with this configuration. I've since seen million dollar motor homes with the mirrors this way, also gas powered less expensive one with one mirror out front and one along side the driver's window. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

Our 2002 Monaco Windsor has both of the mirrors out front and just outside of the sides of the coach. They were that way when we bought it a year ago today, in fact. The advantage to that, in my humble opinion, is that your eyes continue to be looking forward while cruising down the road. If something bad happens ahead, you will probably pick up with your peripheral vision while glancing at the mirror.
D and L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D and L View Post
Our 2002 Monaco Windsor has both of the mirrors out front and just outside of the sides of the coach. They were that way when we bought it a year ago today, in fact. The advantage to that, in my humble opinion, is that your eyes continue to be looking forward while cruising down the road. If something bad happens ahead, you will probably pick up with your peripheral vision while glancing at the mirror.
I agree wholeheartedly!!

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote