Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How Do Monaco and Holiday Rambler Coaches Hold Up?

I currently have a 2010 Newmar Bay Star Model 2901 gasser. I'm considering the big step up to a DP. My first inclination is to stay with Newmar, but I have also looked at other manufacturers. I have heard of Monaco and Holiday Rambler before but never looked at any until this weekend when I visited a dealer with some HR Ambassadors and Monaco Diplomats on the lot. I was impressed with the standard coach features, floorplans, appearance quality of materials. Having heard of the financial difficulties of these brands in the past, I have not considered them up until now.

If you are a current or former HR or Monaco DP owner, esp Ambassador or Diplomat, how has your coach held up after 3-5, or even 10 years? Do the drawers and door still operate properly? Are the floors, roof and exterior still in good condition? Does the exterior still sparkle? How does the engine hold up? Does the Maxxforce engine in the HR really provide 1150 foot pounds of torque and not require DEF? Do you get good service from the dealer network? Any warranty issues that were not resolved? Does the manufacturer appear to be stable? I heard that corporate raider Carl Icahn took almost 10% ownership in Navistar. Does that bother you?

If you are a former Newmar owner, why did you switch to HR or Monaco?

I know that from time to time problems come up, but I'm trying to get a sense in overal manufacturer reputation and quality. If you were in the market for an upgrade, would you consider another HR or Monaco or consider other coaches as well? Please try to stay away from rants and just provide honest feedback.

Thanks.
kcolivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2006 HR Admiral SE (Gasser) with 29,000 miles on it and can tell you that it has held up very well. All of the drawers and cabinetry work as new, the exterior is shiny and many people compliment me on how "Immaculate" it looks inside and out. Which is a testament to its construction and quality of materials used (and maintenance too!)

The only things replaced in 5 years were the 12V relay for the "salesman switch" , the rear sway bar bushings, the house batteries and the Shur Flo water pump which had a bad impeller.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco & Holiday Rambler are the very same coaches -- Just different decor - I currently own a 07, 42ft Camelot, & I`ve owned 2 Newmar MountainAire coaches, & the Spartan Chassis is a better choice over Monaco`s Roadmaster Chassis -- Smoother & quiter ride -- Newmar has a superior slide-out system, paint, & fit and finish --
Why did I change to Monaco ? The short answer is " I screwed up " Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
We still have our MY2000 Vacationer (gas, no slides) bought new in July 1999 and delivered September 1999. Excellent fit and finish. Even after driving on our wonderful roads everything is still solid. Except for the gelcoat, out side still looks great. It now has 73,000 miles (we've slowed down with high gas prices and medical issues).
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

I have a 2001 Scepter. It's been very good for me. It's very sturdy and the quality is exceptional.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
JDT

We bought our 05 Ambassador 6 years ago this past July. There were a few early, relatively minor issues with some things but never with anything manufactured by Monaco. We have recently replaced the fridge with a residential model, as many others on this forum have done, thanks to the poor performing Norcold. The Sharp microwave/convection oven recently decided to give it up and it was replaced. None of that is the fault of Monaco.

We have added Koni FSD shocks, Roadmaster front and rear anti-sway bars and a Safe-T-Plus to improve the ride and handling. Many do nothing and seem to be okay with the ride of the RR8R chassis but I am a bit of a perfectionist.

After 6 years I have probably have found a few things related to the chassis or house but the only one I can really remember is a leak at the front drivers side that drove me nuts. Turned out to be due to someone being a little stingy with the caulking under the seam that joins the front cap to the sidewall.

The engine and transmission have been trouble free and are very adequate for the coach (330 hp Cummins ISC and 6 speed Allison). I was not very happy with the Goodyear tires and replaced them last year.

I know there was some carryover from the old Monaco to the new under Navistar but I'm not sure how much is comparable between the coaches built under the old Monaco and the current ones.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #7

We purchased a 2003 Diplomat 40 ft new at the end of the first year we went to the factory and had the toilet replaced. Would not hold water. They relocated the temp control box so that my wife could see it. 330 Cummins had great power. Towed a 3700 lb. car an Jeep Grand Cherokee 41,000 miles. Fit and trim looked like new when we sold it. Purchased a new 2009 42 ft Camelot and Lovett also.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We bought our coach four years ago. Because of its age, we replaced the flooring, repainted the walls, repainted the outside, and installed new tires. That's all we did to it.

The coach has 140,000 miles. It runs, handles, and rides like a brand new coach. There are no rattles or squeaks. I think it would run for another 500,000 miles and still be ready for more.

I REALLY like the tighter ride and handling that the Monaco Dynasty coaches offer with the 8 outboard air bags.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #9

You don't say if you are interested in new or used. Depending on the answer, you are looking at coaches built by two different companies because of Monaco Coach Corp's bankruptcy and the asset purchase by Navistar. The old MCC built very solid, dependable coaches of a build quality that was at least equal to other coaches of similar cost. There are many of these coaches on the used market and they represent an outstanding value. The new Monaco RV LLC has slowly ramped up production with a mix of coaches that are a continuation of the old Monaco product line and newly designed coaches using the resources of Navistar. I attended a Monaco Rally in Alabama in Sept. that was sponsored by Navistar and the new chief executive of Monaco RV spoke concerning the future direction of Monaco RV LLC. I came away much more impressed with Navistar and the new Monaco than I expected to be.

My wife and I have lived full time in an '03 Monaco and we have been completely happy with our home. The chassis side of the equation is very solid and roadworthy. The house side is reliable, comfortable and does not look dated. If I were interested in a newer coach, my first choice would be a Monaco product. Either new company or old. I would, of course, look at other available coaches but it's hard to beat a proven record.

Good luck and safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have been fulltiming in our 07 Scepter going on four years now, and our coach has been great....Bruce
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #11

I'm an ex RV tech with 19 years of experience (1972-1991). We have a 97 HR. It was purchased primarily because of the type materials and design used in the construction of it's walls, roof and slide out, the fit/finish everywhere, and the fact the brand of appliances and hardware chosen by the manf. at the time of it's construction are still considered top notch and very serviceable. Working from a bucks spent for bang received ideology, I don't think there's a lot that can/will compete with it in today's market place. Oh, did I mention we're pretty happy with it too?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think they both make good coaches that will last a long time with the required maintenance. I always suggest look at both and choose one baised on the floor plan and storage you like the best. There are many things you can change and add to your coach to make it better over the years - but the floor plan isn't one of them.

I was looking for an American Eagle when I stumbled across this Monaco... The floor plan was unique and fit our family perfect. Do I still stare at a beautiful tag axle American Eagles as they drive by, sure I do, but I wouldn't trade because I don't want to compromise on the floor plan!
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2007 Diplomat 40 PDQ that I purchased new. I have replaced a slide seal and boost gage since new. The Diplomats have a very solid reputation with full timers, just go visit a local RV park and chances are you will see a Dip or two, ask the owners how they like them. I love my Dip
Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our 08 Knight last spring with 16,500 miles on it. It was perfect when we picked it up, and going into winter with 28,000 miles she remains perfect. The rr8r chassis rides and handles fabulous. And we love the floorplan, front kitchen, all leather furniture, big tv that works while rolling and isn't covered up when the slides are in.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco