Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #29

Thanks! I did get the data card for my coach.
tmatador is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmatador View Post
I have searched every compartment on the coach inside and out and can not find a control board for the Aqua Hot System. Anyone that has one hid or not in an obvious location in their coach?
I will join those guessing that it is on the opposite side of these photos.

No Way I could service this from this location. Well maybe possible but a whole lot of stuff would have to be taken out.

So I would guess that it has to be on the other side.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I will join those guessing that it is on the opposite side of these photos.

No Way I could service this from this location. Well maybe possible but a whole lot of stuff would have to be taken out.

So I would guess that it has to be on the other side.

JMHO,
Nope. He has an AHE 100-02S. That is the service end. His bay looks just like mine. I have been in there at least 50 times in 3 years diagnosing and fixing that thing. No, that is not an exaggeration.

I think Mr. D and Topman are right. The PO replaced the "AquaHot Diesel" switch with the mislabeled one that you have.

Better access is through the side of the bay just forward of this one. Empty it out and crawl in, you'll see a couple of sliding panels. After you remove the two large stainless steel covers on the front of the AH, the access is pretty good, and if you are ok with "analog" you will be right at home. The manual is invaluable.

Here's what I do: I turn both the diesel and the AC switches on and leave them on all the time. If the sensors (thermostats) call for heat that the AC side can't provide the diesel fires. If demand can be satisfied by the AC element alone then you "never" see the diesel come on.

While this unit has only on AC element, it does have a larger reservoir of boiler fluid than other units, so it can provide more hot water and heat than you might think before the diesel burner comes on. NOTE: be VERY sure you use the correct boiler fluid to keep the "overflow" tank topped up. Remove some from your tank and confirm the color. There are three types and they don't intermix.

When the AH units work, they are wonderful.

Cheers,
Old 10-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Nope. He has an AHE 100-02S. That is the service end. His bay looks just like mine. I have been in there at least 50 times in 3 years diagnosing and fixing that thing. No, that is not an exaggeration.

I think Mr. D and Topman are right. The PO replaced the "AquaHot Diesel" switch with the mislabeled one that you have.

Better access is through the side of the bay just forward of this one. Empty it out and crawl in, you'll see a couple of sliding panels. After you remove the two large stainless steel covers on the front of the AH, the access is pretty good, and if you are ok with "analog" you will be right at home. The manual is invaluable.

Here's what I do: I turn both the diesel and the AC switches on and leave them on all the time. If the sensors (thermostats) call for heat that the AC side can't provide the diesel fires. If demand can be satisfied by the AC element alone then you "never" see the diesel come on.

While this unit has only on AC element, it does have a larger reservoir of boiler fluid than other units, so it can provide more hot water and heat than you might think before the diesel burner comes on. NOTE: be VERY sure you use the correct boiler fluid to keep the "overflow" tank topped up. Remove some from your tank and confirm the color. There are three types and they don't intermix.

When the AH units work, they are wonderful.

Cheers,
To OP,

I will venture a guess - You and Bob will become Pen Pals. . . . .
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #33

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have discovered that the model I have (AHE-100-02S) doesn't have a control board.
Yup !! Same model as ours... as for the switches not lighting up... check your main breaker panel for a breaker switch that may be in the "off" position.(l don't know where your mfg would put it, mebbe under the bed on the bed pedestal?)
And... if your fluid is "Orange" that is an "OAT" type coolant supplied by NAPA.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have discovered that the model I have (AHE-100-02S) doesn't have a control board.
Ok, don't keep us in suspence . Did you turn on that possibly mis labeled switch, and did your burner fire up ??
Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #35

Our switch did not light up either so I replaced the small led bulb and it is okay now.
Iver.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #36

Well the switch is mislabeled I assume because it started the diesel burner.

I guess I started out wrong since I had already turned the 110 switch earlier.
To go back to the beginning what I was trying to do since this is our first time out in this coach was make sure everything was working as it should especially the heat because I knew there was a cold snap coming.

The main problem is I don't know anything about an Aqua Hot system. I had heat and hot water from the 110 switch but when I would flip the diesel switch the diesel burner wouldn't come on no matter what I would try so I had come to the conclusion it wasn't working and I would just take it in for service next week.

So this morning I figured I would try it one more time and as soon as I flipped the switch I heard a little bit of a whining noise and looked out at the Aqua Hot exhaust and it had a little white smoke for about 10 seconds then it cleared up. The burner ran for about 20 min then shut off so now I assume it is working as it should.

The only difference in today and the previous 3 days is the outside temp. This morning it was 39 degrees outside and before hadn't been below 50.

So now on to the next thing After the diesel burner shut off I checked the overflow tank and it is empty so im off to find some antifreeze to put in it.
The manual says to use ethylene glycol but in some notes I found from the PO he says to use GRAS boiler antifreeze.

Thanks for all the replies to help get me straightened out on this!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #37

A few primers on Aqua Hot

Aqua Hot service. Mike z is a member here and a wealth of information
Old 10-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #38

Quote:

How did you determine it doesn't have a CB? Mine looks similar and my CB is on the ceiling forward of the AH bay
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #39

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
How did you determine it doesn't have a CB? Mine looks similar and my CB is on the ceiling forward of the AH bay
Look similar but Different model than yours..

RV Hydronic Heater Forum
Old 10-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #40

The over flow jug was empty because it leaks. I will have to order one so I assume there is no pressure on the jug and I can just stick the over flow hose down in a gallon of antifreeze and it will be fine until my new jug gets here?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #41

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:

So now on to the next thing After the diesel burner shut off I checked the overflow tank and it is empty so im off to find some antifreeze to put in it.
The manual says to use ethylene glycol but in some notes I found from the PO he says to use GRAS boiler antifreeze.

Thanks for all the replies to help get me straightened out on this!
Yup the GRAS is what the PO prolly converted to.
One thing to check since the boiler system is a closed circuit and the overflow tank is empty..
Remove the rubber cover to the boiler tank fill & see if the fill neck has come un-soldered from the tank neck which if it has breaks the vacuum to the hose going to the overflow tank (same as the overflow on your auto's radiator ..Or mebbe the radiator style cap has gone bad..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	180981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	180982  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	180983  
Old 10-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The over flow jug was empty because it leaks. I will have to order one so I assume there is no pressure on the jug and I can just stick the over flow hose down in a gallon of antifreeze and it will be fine until my new jug gets here?
Frankly, I'd turn it off completely until you can get the tank and system filled. My system does not use "antifreeze", it uses boiler fluid. My system uses the Century yellow fluid:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but you really do need to figure out how to get a sample to be sure you don't mix fluids. FWIW, the Monaco tech support folks were the ones that warned me about systems of our vintage using this fluid. There was a transition period in 2003, and ours uses the "old yellow" stuff. Maybe you can pull the return line from the bottle and see if some dribbles out.

Cheers,