Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #15

If it doesnt have points and analog, it is going fry.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #16

From Wikipedia, "On 1–2 September 1859, one of the largest geomagnetic storms (as recorded by ground-based magnetometers) occurred.[14] Auroras were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains in the U.S. were so bright that the glow woke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning.[8] People in the northeastern United States could read a newspaper by the aurora's light.[15] The aurora was visible from the poles to low latitude areas such as south-central Mexico,[16][17] Queensland, Cuba, Hawaii,[18] southern Japan and China,[19] and even at lower latitudes very close to the equator, such as in Colombia.[20] Estimates of the storm strength range from −0.80 T to −1.75 T.[21]

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.[22] Telegraph pylons threw sparks.[23] Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies."

So solar events aren't always confined to the polar regions.

Not something to be messed with. Read an article in Science News a few weeks ago about how unprepared the US (and most of the world's) electrical grids are for a solar event, after we were just barely missed by one as it crossed our orbit just behind us. What I don't know is if RVs disconnected from the grid will suffer the same fate as the power grids and items connected to it. We'll have time, they now announce potential solar flare events that 'may' have the capacity to destroy the system, and if we're cautious that'll give time to do some stuff to the RV, like unplug it. But who knows if doing minimal stuff will be enough or not???

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #17

According to this article, you should probably not spend a lot of time worrying about it. It seems that studies show only about one in 50 vehicles would be disabled (https://www.superprepper.com/will-ca...-after-an-emp/). A report linked in this article from The Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States by EMP attack can be found here (Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack). It appears that they studied cars from 2006 and older, so it's hard to draw a conclusion if today's cars would be more or less susceptible to EMP attack.

If you're interested, a TV mini series named Jericho can be seen on Amazon Prime and starts off with an EMP attack on the US by North Korea
Hope this makes you sleep better.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #18

The reason power grids are susceptible to solar flare is due to the fact miles and miles of power transmission lines get inductive loads from the current generated by the charged particles compressing the Earth's magnetic field. Moving a magnet over a wire induces an electric current - aka a generator. As mentioned above, thinking of them like an antenna is a good analogy.

What caused the 1989 blackout wasn't the aurora per se, but instead it was a cascade of failures when one node got knocked out, and the system couldn't compensate for the loss. Each failure overloaded the next node in the system, and so on, and so on. The aurora just knocked over the first domino in an already weak system. Small items like vehicles wiring shouldn't be able to induce any measurable current when the Earth is hit by a large flare. If there's a true EMP, a fried starter would probably be the least of anyone's problems.

Tommy H.

I admit some wild "what if-ing" is something I've occasionally done. Started it as a kid growing up in the 50s and 60s. Wondered what I was going to do once we got the so -called 20 minute warning the Russian nukes were on the way. We had a Nike Missile site, some navel yards and refineries, not far away. I was pretty sure our whole area was on the Soviet "Must Nuke" list. Even asked my Dad if we were going to build a bomb shelter in the backyard - does the term "digging your own grave" come to mind? We had some old abandoned mines in my town, and I figured that's where I'd head, peddling my little rear off as fast as my legs could go. I also made sure I knew where all the Civil Defense shelters were, not that those were any better than a dirt hole in the backyard. Used to have occasional nightmares of being outside and seeing the flash.

I figure if things go sideways in a big way while I'm still around, who survives will be a roll of the dice, and who makes it much beyond that, another roll. Still, nothing wrong with having some sort of plan, even if it's only extra non perishable food, water, and a few supplies to take care of yourself for a while. Stuff like that even works for less-than-armageddon events. In 1991 our area was hit by a severe winter storm and silver thaw that brought down power lines all over. Our area was without power for several days and roads were unpassable. At the time we were living in an old travel trailer while our house was being built. Thanks to a full propane tank, we were snug and cozy while people in their houses had pipes freeze, no heat, no water and food go bad. For us it was a little family adventure.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
..... At the time we were living in an old travel trailer while our house was being built. ....
At the time I was doing the same thing except in California.

When we lost power it was of because PG&E was inept not some extreme natural event.

My previous two nuke plants were in vary cold climates with extreme weather event.

At my next nuke I did root cause analysis. The extreme event was a volcanic eruption.

Since having the internet, I have read every RCA of major blackouts. It is always the same. Cascading failures stop at well managed utilities.

However, I have never read an energy plan at a nuke for a military attack including EMP.

Tin foil hats are not considered PPE.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #20

diesel

Older diesel engines would be best for the situation you speak of. Many cummins had one wire to the injection pump. Apply 12 volts and it ran. Remove that 12v and it cut off. Late 80's and early 90's.
Kenrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Missing from this discussion is where or how one would fuel any running vehicle without any operating infrastructure. Unless the one tank you have gets you where you think you need to be. Provided you think you can travel unnoticed in an RV which is a rolling advertisement for free food and fuel. Way more going on here than EMP.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
USAF Titan II ICBM vet
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Missing from this discussion is where or how one would fuel any running vehicle without any operating infrastructure. Unless the one tank you have gets you where you think you need to be. Provided you think you can travel unnoticed in an RV which is a rolling advertisement for free food and fuel. Way more going on here than EMP.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
USAF Titan II ICBM vet
Very true. If a big CME takes out the electrical grid, travel anywhere would be extremely dangerous unless you had an army with you. If your genset survives and generates power you could stay put, but the noise of it would advertise your presence. If you had a lot of solar generated power you might be able to hide out somewhere and be safe. However youd still need enough food and water.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof