Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
How heavy is too much for pass thru basement storage.

Looking at packing large tool box and parts for 4 wheeling events.. How much can the bay storages carry. I can't find nothing in the brochure or in the bays themselves. Any body have experience or information? Is 2,000 lbs. too much spread between the 2 large pass thru bays? Tried searching and all I found was info for Newmars. and some info Kwiee slide trays with 1,000 lb capacity's.. In case it dosn't show I have 2007 diplomat 40' with 400hp. ISL.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I was rep'ing scuba equipment, we'd cram the bays of our '06 Endeavor completely full with tanks, gear bags, weights, tools, etc. It also had a slide-tray which helped distribute the load. I don't know that we got a full ton in there, but it sure felt like it!

The bay floors were a roto-mold plastic, so I was careful to put the heaviest stuff closest to the edges and/or over the rails. I did notice that after several years of use, the plastic floors and the cross-rails were permanently bowed down a bit. That's when I added some 3/4" plywood to the other bay to help spread the load even more.

Be sure to secure the load well. I was always concerned that things might shift and bust out thru one of the bay doors.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

I would imagine that carrying 2,000# of extra cargo would put you over GVWR if that matters.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My slide out full trays are rated for 1000 lbs
Old 08-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for the comments. I did find my slide out tray is a Lippert with a 800 lb. capacity. But out of over precaution I decided to help support the bottom of the bay by running 3/16" cable over the chassis frame rails and down to the iron rectangular tubing under the bay. I drilled holes in the plastic floor on each side of the tubing to loop the cable around the tubing and tightened the cable with a turnbuckle. I plan to weigh most everything and total it up just for a reference and balancing...
Old 08-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a plan. Maybe put some plywood across the plastic floors where there's no actual support?

Not my business for sure but I gotta ask, where are you traveling with all those gold bars? I'd like to follow behind you.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
I would imagine that carrying 2,000# of extra cargo would put you over GVWR if that matters.
Way over if it is in addition to all your regular stuff.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Why do you say that?
How do you know if an additional 2,000 lbs puts him overweight?

I had my Coach weighed (at each wheel) while fully loaded with fuel, water, and the typical stuff we travel with, plus carrying the motorcycle on back. It came in at 44,200 lbs. My GVWR is 46,300lbs so I have 2,100 lbs of additional carrying capacity.

So it's possible OP can also carry another 2,000 lbs.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Why do you say that?
How do you know if an additional 2,000 lbs puts him overweight?

CountryB I am sure the info you provided for your tag axle coach is correct. However the OP stated he has a 2007 Diplomat which would not have been available with a tag axle. I believe most owners of similar coaches would tell you that by the time you get the "normal" items loaded you would be fast approaching GVWR. If the OP is gonna load an extra 2000# I don't think there is anyway that he won't be substantially over GVWR. I think that we would have an obligation to anyone that reads this in the future and leads them to think they could do likewise in a similar coach without safety and/or liability concerns to think otherwise.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Rusty tools I do plan on using wood to evenly distribute the weight between the steel trusses under the bays. Besides the wood helps keep the items from sliding all over place..
Don't worry about my gvw being over. We have certified scales right here on the farm so it is easy for me to weigh all 4 corners and adjust things to stay legal..
I don't know how much my tools weigh or the extra stuff. I do realize the bay floors can bend from the gear bouncing while in transit, that is why I am playing it safe and installing extra support. The cable is an easy non intrusive way of support. To add steel bracing from the frame to the cross members would require a lot of plastic removal to uncover the frame rails to move wires and air lines away from the areas I would need to drill and install bolts. It is not as radical as it may sound..If I don't like the layout I will move the tools to a trailer..But thanks for the heads up and concerns, I appreciate everyone's input,
Old 08-24-2019, 01:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Because I am a night owl/workaholic, and the concerns expressed got me to thinking what if...... I decided to go pull my last scale records fully loaded with fuel/fresh water and present gear.
The front axle was 10,900 lbs. and is rated for 13,000. lbs.
The rear axle was 18,900 lbs. and is rated for 20,000 lbs.
Looks like I have room for 3,120 lbs. which is more than enough room to play with..
Old 08-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds good, plenty of extra 'head-room'. But you know you'll fill it all up quickly.

Always nice to have the equipment and tools to tackle any job. Not many have easy access to scales , I'm jealous.

Tags
storage