RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

How many have a Dynasty Chancellor

Got into a discussion on another thread of a common floorplan, the Dynasty Chancellor. Floorplans seem to vary a bit from year to year. Perhaps there are others who want to join in. Thought it'd be a good idea to start this... we'll see .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-05 DynChanc.jpg
Views:	1745
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	23450  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

From looking at the 4 years of Chancellor - there aren't many differences are there??

Our coach has the "Washed Maple" cabinetry and we like it really well. The only thing we have noted is in the high use areas, such as drawer pulls and etc, the stain is beginning to fade just a little.

When I replaced my TV in front and rear cabinets I needed to add a spacer to fill in the open areas because the new LCD and LED TV's are wide screen, and much shorter. I bought the wood and had it planed down to 3/8 inch for ease of working. Then had to use some scrap to experiment with matching the stain - forgot the stain I ended up using however I recall that I had to add some white to it and black paint (yes, black paint). Found that just a touch of the black paint was necessary to bring out the grain just a tiny bit to match what the factory had used.

Reason I had to do this was because ---- yes, I could have bought the stain they used --- however they only would sell it in 5 gallon pails and it was fairly expensive..... Now, I dare anyone to tell me the work I did is not original..

In meantime ---

All who have this make and model of coach - just know you have one of the better ones on the road. Beautifully handling, nice ride, quality is above average, and the looks on them still turn heads (at least mine does).

I just finished up with another coat of "Mop and Glow" on the roof - one of the best protective coatings I have found thus far. Just one bottle more than covers the entire roof now.

God Bless

Bill

Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Hi Bill, I think it's better to have this in a thread; perhaps others with same model will join in.

One thing we've noted, with the Chancellor, that's probably the same with many double slide Monacos esp the ones with kitchen slide on street side is the coach weight is a bit more on driver/street side. I tend to store heavy stuff in bays toward the curbside to compensate.

Few other Monaco coaches have that larger bedroom with the extra wardrobe on "my" side... I've seen it in some of the later execs and a few sigs but haven't noticed in recent ones.

We have the stained cherry and it's held up nicely but, of course, parts that receive more sunlight get darker... that's just the nature of the wood. When we got the desk a yr or so ago I was very happy with the way the manufacturer matched the wood stain color (we gave him a sample door to match up); he even matched the drawer handles.

Tried something different than Mop-n-glo this time round. Home Depot sells a floow finish product... put on four coats this time. Hope it'll last a while. But that item applies to many coaches, not just the Chancellor.

Have you run into any unusual "features" of this floorplan?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2000 Dynasty Regent with two slides, and the kitchen on the driver side. Looking at Monaco's old floor plans, mine never existed. I suspect that Monaco made many coaches that don't show up in the literature.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
I have a 2000 Dynasty Regent with two slides, and the kitchen on the driver side. Looking at Monaco's old floor plans, mine never existed. I suspect that Monaco made many coaches that don't show up in the literature.
I've seen before, Monaco introduced some "mid-year" floorplans. They never made the brochure but then showed the next year. The 01 regent from MNC's old archives, is below. How much does it look like yours?

I do not know if there was a 2000 Chancellor. Downloaded some of the data from the old MNC archives... only between 2001 and 2009. Now the Navistar Monaco just has some brochures online, they used to have pretty much the complete old website specs.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Dynasty Chancellor

I also have one, 2001 double slide walnut wood finish w/ Cummins ISL 370 hp. It's the tenth anniversery edition / model. We love it, drives great, tows great, it' all good. Bought it used with low miles and good price. Clarke R .
Old 07-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #7

The Chancellor is not listed in the '01 Dynasty brochure. There is also no mention of the Cummins ISL. I guess it was a mid-year addition & continued in '02.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Steve, I could not find the 2001 in any Monaco sales info either. The ISL was an updated option @ list of $ 7,000.00 over the standard ISC 330 hp. The interior is slightly different than shown in the Monaco floor plans,........ some of the differences may be due to the tenth anniversery edition. Ours is 40 ft. w/ tag axle and two slides. Clarke
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Steve, P. S. The ISL is not even listed / covered or mentioned in my Monaco Dynasty owners manual. It just talks about the ISC and the filters and specs. for it. Clarke
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The Chancellor is not listed in the '01 Dynasty brochure. There is also no mention of the Cummins ISL. I guess it was a mid-year addition & continued in '02.
The Chancellor model is listed last in the old Monaco's webpage for Dynasty floorplans. (As I think I mentioned earlier, back when MNC had the entire old webpages in their archives, I downloaded many of them). The 01 Dynasty floorplan pages have the Chancellor and 38 Jack floorplans shown in black&White, the rest have shades of blue. That would indicate they were later additions or modifications.

I didn't download any of the specification pages until around the 03 year so I don't know what it said about engines. Monaco used to admit they made many mid-year changes and upgrades... don't know if they still do.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDynasty View Post
Steve, P. S. The ISL is not even listed / covered or mentioned in my Monaco Dynasty owners manual. It just talks about the ISC and the filters and specs. for it. Clarke
In 2000, the only engine option I found was the 350 HP/1050TQ over the stock 330HP/850TQ.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #12

Rick.

I am in the middle of correcting an issue on my 2001 that others may wish to take note of.

I had the engine cover hinge bolt break - on passenger side. As a result I was unable to put in a new bolt and swing the hinge back into place without snapping the nitrogen strut loose. When I did, I was then unable to muscle that thing back onto it's little ball. Guess I'm getting old (70) weak (yes) or both - whatever the problem is - I am simply unable to compress that thing the 5 inches back onto the ball.

Then I got to thinking, maybe that bolt broke for a reason - possibly the cylinder has gone bad because my rear door has been a bit harder to open these past couple years, however not enough that caused me alarm.

Anyway - I started a thread about just how the dickens one can muscle that strut back into place (under the Monaco forum). Lots of responses.

I e-mailed Monaco then and gave them my coach number, they came back with the part numbers and the info is the cylinders are 150# ones - thus the reason they are tough.

Being my coach is 11 + years old I elected to just order out the new struts ($32 each) and install them just because of their age --- no one there at the factory had any good recommendations on compressing the darned things to install them though.

I finally did come up with a solution, good one, at least I think so - but proof is in the successful installation and that will have to wait until next week when the new struts arrive.

Take a look at my thread over on the Monaco side ---- so that if anyone out there has, in the future, a failure they can save themselves a lot of grief. The parts totaled $4.68 and now I will have in my garage a nitrogen cylinder compression unit -------whoopie

God Bless

Bill
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #13

PS - the engine I have in my coach is the ISL 370. Great engine, great mileage and great towing ability.

My fuel mileage average (towing my toad) for over 20,000 miles now is pegging 9.2 and I don't consider that bad at all.

God Bless

On edit ---- I looked up the part number for my coach cylinders and they said it is 08408020 for $32 each.

Bill
Old 07-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Rick.

I am in the middle of correcting an issue on my 2001 that others may wish to take note of.

I had the engine cover hinge bolt break - on passenger side. As a result I was unable to put in a new bolt and swing the hinge back into place without snapping the nitrogen strut loose. When I did, I was then unable to muscle that thing back onto it's little ball. Guess I'm getting old (70) weak (yes) or both - whatever the problem is - I am simply unable to compress that thing the 5 inches back onto the ball.

Then I got to thinking, maybe that bolt broke for a reason - possibly the cylinder has gone bad because my rear door has been a bit harder to open these past couple years, however not enough that caused me alarm.

Anyway - I started a thread about just how the dickens one can muscle that strut back into place (under the Monaco forum). Lots of responses.

I e-mailed Monaco then and gave them my coach number, they came back with the part numbers and the info is the cylinders are 150# ones - thus the reason they are tough.

Being my coach is 11 + years old I elected to just order out the new struts ($32 each) and install them just because of their age --- no one there at the factory had any good recommendations on compressing the darned things to install them though.

I finally did come up with a solution, good one, at least I think so - but proof is in the successful installation and that will have to wait until next week when the new struts arrive.

Take a look at my thread over on the Monaco side ---- so that if anyone out there has, in the future, a failure they can save themselves a lot of grief. The parts totaled $4.68 and now I will have in my garage a nitrogen cylinder compression unit -------whoopie

God Bless

Bill
I replaced those struts too a while back. Glad you found replacements. The way I did it was to lift the bed all the way up; hold it open with a piece of 2x4 cut to fit ant d then installed struts uncompressed.

I once got over 9mpg with my coach... it was heading east on I-10 thru Coachella Valley CA with srtong tailwind.