Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

That would be a tentative sale to me - I have left a deposit but have yet to sign any papers. Still doing my homework but I will have to say one way or the other tomorrow.
darrello4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The mileage on the coach, and the hours on the generator mean nothing to me, other than road damage to the outside body, and wear and tear on internal flooring and upholstery. You won't know about that until you get there to look at it.

The $4000.00 figure for maintenance troubles me. Did they offer a detailed estimate, or did they just throw that figure into the wind? Are they including tires in that figure?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

Jim

No, no tires in that estimate. I intentionally called a Cummins service center because I figured that they would be the highest estimate. I told the service guy that I was buying a motorhome with a Cummins 8.3 ISC engine with 159,000 miles and I had no maintenance records. I asked what services would he recommend in this instance in order to get it up to a "benchmark" position that I could use to base further maintenance on. He began rattling off prices for the generator 2000 hour service ($1700 - I remember that one) as well as engine oil, filter, coolant flush and replace, valve adjustment (he called it a "C" service") and the transmission oil, filters, etc. I was mentally keeping track and when it got over $3500 I just rounded it off to $4000. I just needed an idea of costs. Hopefully I can find someone qualified that will be less expensive.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrello4 View Post
Thanks for all of the great replies - I'm still on the fence about this one and I haven't yet seen it personally. That's tomorrow.

If anyone has time, can you take a look at these documents and let me know if I've missed anything obvious? TIA

Darrell
Darrell,

I've reviewed the docs and the eBay ad. It's look pretty good in the pictures, but only a personal up close inspection will tell you if it's as good in person.

It appears that the last owner had the coach longer than anyone else, so that kind of blows my earlier theory.

If I were you I would make a list, and while you're there check every system in the coach... or at least everything that hasn't already been checked in your professional, paid for inspection. I didn't see anything in the inspection report about things like the fridge (looks residential), furnace, hot water heater, holding tanks, etc.

The thought here is just to know what you're getting into. It's probably not reasonable to expect everything on a 13 year old coach to work perfectly, but you at least need to know what you're getting into before making a final decission.

In summary, I wouldn't shy away from this coach just because of age and mileage. Of coarse, about 7 years ago, I myself purchased a 13 year old coach. It hasn't been without it's problems (the biggest was the Trans ECM bit the dirt), but I just fix it go on. Today it is still going strong!

Please keep us posted on what you decide.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
This is a nice coach for the price. I would not be concerned about the mileage on the Cummins ISC or the hours on the Onan generator. It's the numerous other systems that will be painfull.

Make sure you are fully commited, as it would be very difficult to sell. Although NADA bluebook says not to include mileage in the estimate, a dealer will deduct as much as 50% from the wholesale value on a coach with over 100k miles.

Another option would be 2001-2002 Dynasty's listed for $69K with less miles. They will have a tag axle chassis, Cummins ISL, and most will have Aqua Hot.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I own one of these in a singe slide version, called a Prince. It is a great Coach. We are 7k into a 11k trip and have been living in it full time for the winter. Down sides? We find we need a little more space. We are looking for a bigger Dynasty. We have 62k on the odo.

This is what has been fixed:
Lift pump
Cam Speed sensors
ECM Oil pressure sensor
Replaced lower cooling pipe due corrosion
Front dash heater core
Aqua Hot Control Unit
Dash Radio
Sharp Convect/Micro

I don't pull a towed and power is adequate. I do all routine maintenance. My 20k fuel milage average is 8.3mpg which includes Aqua Hot and Generator use. The Generator has 750Hrs. Although this one drives nicely the Tag axle model would be a bit more stable. The rear axle is rated at 20k and scales at 20.4k with full fuel and full water. The axle is rated by manufacturer at 34k. Make sure you get H rated tires when you replace them.

A few of these Coaches were ordered without Aqua Hot and Hydraulic Level only, know what your getting.

I wil be happy to answer any question you have. Good Luck.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #21

Well, we went to see the coach today. We're going to pass on this one. I see now why the RV tech referred to it as "well used". The couch was a total loss and all of the other cloth was extremely worn or ripping. The overall bones of the coach seemed ok but we don't want to take on the mileage and all of the interior. We are going to take the suggestion of upping the money and keeping an eye out for a 2001 with a tag that has hopefully been better taken care of. This one had definitely been lived in. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Darrell
Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Darrell,

Below are links to current Dynasty's for sale.

1999 Monaco Dynasty 38’ for $45K
http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=3666&title=1999-monaco-dynasty&cat=4

2000 Monaco Dynasty 34’ for $45k
http://www.rvt.com/2000-Monaco-Dynasty-Melbourne-Florida-for-sale-ID5218795.htm

2000 Monaco Dynasty 40’ for $59.9k
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2000-Monaco-Dynasty-40pbs-109208407

2001 Monaco Dynasty 40’ Chancellor for $69k
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2001-Monaco-Dynasty-40-Chancellor-109412856

2000 Monaco Dynasty King 350 for $54.9K
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2000-Monaco-Dynasty-King-350-103859273

2001 MONACO Dynasty 40 for $65.9k in CA
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2001-MONACO-Dynasty-40-104868676

2001 MONACO Dynasty tag axle for $59.8K (sale pending)
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2001-MONACO-Dynasty-tag-axle-108473211
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #23

I just bought mine last year a 2000 Windsor with 83k on it and 2000k hours on the Genny. 2 slide outs and 330 Cummins. I was also a bit concerned with the hours on the generator but it runs like a champ. Paid 46k so in the ballpark. Keep looking you will find em.
I need tires but other than that everything works great.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #24

Thanks for the links Vito, I'll check them out

Darrell
Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Keep them away from that Gen if it is running OK. 1900 hrs is not a lot. Any mobile diesel mech can change oil and filters and run the overheads a heck of a lot cheaper than $4000.
Diesel gens can run many hours, there was one posted on a site that had 25,000 hours on the meter in the MH and was still running fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote