Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
After reading Sixpak98's thread on the notch on his dipstick and how much oil everyone was using during an oil change, I realized I may not have been filling the engine with enough oil after an oil change.

My distick goes to the full mark with with 24 quarts of oil and a new filter. Cummins manual says it should be 24 quarts + 4 more quarts with a filter change for a total of 28 quarts (ISL Engine). This didn't make sense since the filter that is recommended only holds 2 quarts.

I emailed Cummins and asked them how much oil my ISL required with a filter change. Here is their reply:

"It may be that your dipstick needs to be recalibrated. This can happen sometimes as the long dipstick provided with RVs is not the stick provided by Cummins when we sell the engine to chassis manufacturers. The easiest thing to do is recalibrate your stick. When you fill the RV up at its next oil change fill the filter then put exactly 20 quarts of oil in the pan. After waiting 5 minutes take an oil reading and mark the stick, that should be the low oil mark. Then add 4 more quarts, wait again, and then take the reading again. This will give you the full marker".

The gist of this is that my ISL should hold 26 quarts total, since the oil filter only holds two quarts. Next time I'll put 20 quarts in the pan and mark the dipstick for the low oil mark, add 4 more quarts and mark the high mark. I know that my filter only holds 2 quarts for a total of 26. I have apparently been running 2 quarts low, in more ways than one!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
After reading Sixpak98's thread on the notch on his dipstick and how much oil everyone was using during an oil change, I realized I may not have been filling the engine with enough oil after an oil change.

My distick goes to the full mark with with 24 quarts of oil and a new filter. Cummins manual says it should be 24 quarts + 4 more quarts with a filter change for a total of 28 quarts (ISL Engine). This didn't make sense since the filter that is recommended only holds 2 quarts.

I emailed Cummins and asked them how much oil my ISL required with a filter change. Here is their reply:

"It may be that your dipstick needs to be recalibrated. This can happen sometimes as the long dipstick provided with RVs is not the stick provided by Cummins when we sell the engine to chassis manufacturers. The easiest thing to do is recalibrate your stick. When you fill the RV up at its next oil change fill the filter then put exactly 20 quarts of oil in the pan. After waiting 5 minutes take an oil reading and mark the stick, that should be the low oil mark. Then add 4 more quarts, wait again, and then take the reading again. This will give you the full marker".

The gist of this is that my ISL should hold 26 quarts total, since the oil filter only holds two quarts. Next time I'll put 20 quarts in the pan and mark the dipstick for the low oil mark, add 4 more quarts and mark the high mark. I know that my filter only holds 2 quarts for a total of 26. I have apparently been running 2 quarts low, in more ways than one!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
.... I have apparently been running 2 quarts low, in more ways than one! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No Comment!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
DiplomatDon -- This is my 2nd coach (07 Camelot) with the 400ISL, & I change my own oil -- Both engines used the same filter LF9009 - I fill the filters before I install them, & it takes almost a full gallon, not 2 qts.-- I put 20qts. in the pan, for a total of 24qts - Thats a case of 6 gals.-- That has put the oil at the full mark -- I`ve put 30,000 miles on this coach, & 46,000 on the last, with no problems, & many oil,filter changes -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My understanding of the Cummins reply to Diplomat Don, is that 24 quarts excludes the quantity in the oil filter.

So, with 24 quarts total you are 4 quarts short,since your oil filter holds 4 quarts.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't you just love the confusing information you receive from manufacturers? When I had my last changed my oil I noticed the dipstick indicated a little over the full mark but not to the notch on the metal end of the dipstick. I had verified that the local service shop actually installed 28 qts so I felt that the correct amount of oil had been installed. But I had nagging second thoughts since some RV manufacturers calibrate the dipstick and and notch the flat metal portion to indicate full capacity. This nagging prompted me to post my earlier message about notching the dipstick. I called Monaco and they said the notch was not and indication of oil capacity.

When I called Cummins they told me this:

Oil capacity with filter is 28 qts
Engine retains 1 qts after draining
Add 24 qts to crankcase
Prefill filter with 3 qts (actually holds 4 qts)
Total for oil change would be 27 qts.
So, with 1 qt retained, total would be 28 qts

So, since the local service shop installed 28 qts I was a quart over but over the last several hundred miles the ISL took care of that and my dipstick indicates just slightly over full.

NOW THAT"S CLEAR AS MUD!!!

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #7

You guys have newer coaches than me but if I fill my engine up to where the dipstick shows the oil at the "full mark", my engine will also "adjust" itself (all over the ground) until it reaches it's "happy place"...

I was told that this is normal (by Cummins Tech Support) and the "excess" comes out the crankcase breather tube...which is why it now points at the ground AFTER my rear mudflap and below my receiver hitch.

My filter holds about 3-1/2 quarts and I think I added 24 quarts to the pan...but I will have to check.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
HPH

Monaco Owners Club
Just had my 1st o/c done at dealer. After reading this thread I looked at my invoice, charged me for 29 qts. (wether they put 29 in who knows.)@ $3.98 qt. The first thing I did when I got home from dealer was ck. oil level, it was right on full mark. 2nd was to crawl underneath and ck oil plug and filter. Very disappointed to find a Napa filter.$59.46. Invoice shows LF9009 lube filter as the filter used, not so. I know Napa makes good filters, I've used them and wix on my diesel trucks but I would of prefered the stated filter.
I will be changing my own from here on out!
Question: How do you all with air leveling and Tags get your coach up enough to get underneath? I can barely get to the plug/filter. No way to get to u-joints. Drive up on some blocks??

2004 Z71 Tahoe
HPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #9

I drive up on ramps (that are on 2x8's flat) with 4x6 blocks behind to give a bigger "parking" area.

I also place 4x6 blocks below the feet and lower the jacks with minor coach leveling. This doesn't work with adjusting the leveling valves but it does for most other "creeper" work. You want the rear wheels on something solid as the safety brakes need the rear wheels down. Don't forget to chock the front wheels.

OASN, I am building some "cribbing" and longer ramps so that I can get the entire coach 12" or so in the air for when I take the tank belly "skin" off for repairs and leak detection.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #10

HPH: WE also have air only levelling. You should use some type of wooden ramps under the tires (all 4) The wheels should be blocked. Now for the kicker: You should never trust the air bags to stay inflated!! There are probably 50 or more places where you could leak air. Just think of being underneath and the MH starts to drop. People have died under MH's with air suspensions. You could drive the MH onto boards, block the wheels and fill the rear air bags. THEN place jack stands under the unit. I dont mean some cheap Pep Boys 3 ton stands. I use 12 ton OTC stands. For those with hydraulic levelling jacks. Do not use the jacks to hold up your unit without stands as a backup. And remember to block the wheels. MH's will roll off the levelling jacks!!! Safety first!!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bill, maybe I'm not allowing the oil to settle in the filter, but I put one quart in and then 2/3 of another and it was just about an inch from the top. I have to leave a little space because I have to tilt it a few dgrees to get it past the rock screen.

I'm no slacker, but it sure seemed like this service took longer than the last time I did it. About 4 hours. I changed the oil and 8 filters, between the engine and generator, lubed the chassis, steps and jacks. I thought I had the correct hydraulic filter, but it was too big.

I've been buying the filters at Quartzsite each year from the Spartan Chassis truck.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
DipD...Sacs had said to let you know that it took him a certain amount - but I did not think you would be online...so I figured I would post later this weekend - and double check what he said ...I think he said 28 was our number...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat Don -- I have the side radiator, so no rock screen -- I do take off the rock guard so I have more squirm(that`s a word in Texas)around room -- I dry fit the oil filter, so I know the angel to reinstall - To darn hard holding the filter full of oil over your head trying to get it started -- I stand the filter up in the case the oil comes in & fill the filter, & when I`m in position, my wife slides me the filter -- I remove the filter with Channel Locks, but have a wide band filter wrench that takes a 3/8th inch drive ratchet to tighten --
I think most of the replies are accurate reguarding pan capacity, even though they differ for the same engine -- The difference,I think is when the engine was mfg & the pan size -- My manuel calls for 24 qts total in a 07, but made before the emmission requirement - My engine is calibrated for the 24 qts -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
DipD...Sacs had said to let you know that it took him a certain amount - but I did not think you would be online...so I figured I would post later this weekend - and double check what he said ...I think he said 28 was our number...

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Naahhh. As usual, wrong again!!!
What I said was it took one full case, which is 6 gallons or 24 quarts
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote