Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How much Freon does a 2000 Monaco Dynasty with out tag and Cummins 350?

How much Freon does a 2000 Monaco dynasty hold no tag coming 350?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tim,
This was in my manual, for my coach ~61 oz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Dash manual info.pdf (90.8 KB, 14 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I got the work done today because it was over my head. It ended up being a switch on the evaporator coil that shuts the compressor on and off and a leaky Schrader valve on the high side of the compressor. My system holds 6 1/2 pounds. Thanks to everyone that tried to help out and especially to Ed and Dennis who I called
Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #4

First PDF has capacities the temp per lbs charts in files as well. https://www.proairllc.com/design-eng...empcon-guides/
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What did they charge to get your AC working??
I assume they evacuated the system, changed the parts, pulled a vacuum, checked for leaks and then recharged. Did they replace the tank?
Old 06-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #6

Glad you are cool again.
The switch on the evaporator is a thermostat that controls the temperature or a freeze guard so the evaporator doesn't freeze solid under certain conditions.

Not sure what james refers to re a tank. Likely the filter drier which should be changed whenever the system is opened.

Lots of good advice. I cringe when I read of adding a can or two and see what happens. Over the years I have seen many components damaged from this.
Things like ruptured hoses, condensers, compressors ruined or a lucky owner with a burnt vee belt when the compressor has locked up. Can get expensive.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
What did they charge to get your AC working??
I assume they evacuated the system, changed the parts, pulled a vacuum, checked for leaks and then recharged. Did they replace the tank?
Ended up doing what you listed above twice. Changed out the switch, pulled a vacuum charged the system and then found the valve leaking, so had to do it all over again. Works great. Cost was $571 with over five hours of labor so it was fair.
PS did not replace the dryer.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Ended up doing what you listed above twice. Changed out the switch, pulled a vacuum charged the system and then found the valve leaking, so had to do it all over again. Works great. Cost was $571 with over five hours of labor so it was fair.
PS did not replace the dryer.

Wow, very good price, where did you have it done.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #9

Great info Tim, I thought I had read 4 lbs, but my mechanic buddy put in about 7lbs. Now I know he was right on. Had to have the hi side hose replaced. We will be charging the A/C system again next week. Both the dryer and expansion valve will be replaced at the same time. Moved my condenser and added 2 electric fans. Should cool much better.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Wow, very good price, where did you have it done.
I'm on the road so I had it done where I was at. Gillette, WY. Lightning Truck Repair. Busy shop but the owner fit in.

Tim
Old 06-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
Great info Tim, I thought I had read 4 lbs, but my mechanic buddy put in about 7lbs. Now I know he was right on. Had to have the hi side hose replaced. We will be charging the A/C system again next week. Both the dryer and expansion valve will be replaced at the same time. Moved my condenser and added 2 electric fans. Should cool much better.
I should have asked them to change the dryer. But it's working good, blows 46 degree air.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I should have asked them to change the dryer. But it's working good, blows 46 degree air.
Good to hear you up and running fine.

Using a 2 stage vacuum pump and pulled into a deep vacuum in most cases if it was not a catastrophic compressor failure or system open for excessive periods of time your just fine.

Filling using a/c gages is the proper way fly. Very rarely do 2 coaches even of the same make and model use the same amount of refrigerant do to hose routing, engine options and it seems not uncommon on same very model coaches to have different compressors, condensers and other components....for that reason alone IMO one should use gages.

Happy Trails
Old 06-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #13

The evens link I shared has good capacity list and expected pressures to ambient temp chart.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having spent my career in industrial refrigeration and having worked on smaller units, I shudder when we start seeing the shade tree experts giving advice on recharging a system. If you have some knowledge, the proper equipment and training, finding a leak and repairing a system is not that hard. I have seen systems damaged or people injured by inexperienced people handling refrigerants.

To repair the system, it needs to be diagnosed, repaired, leak checked, evacuated and recharged. I have always recharged using a gauge set for both high and low pressure. Just the low pressure is nothing buy a patch and estimate.

I know it cost money to get an expert that is trained in handling refrigerants, but safety should be primary.

Ken

Tags
cummins, monaco, monaco dynasty