Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #1

Well I am new and here is my first post- after reading the thread on generator fuel pickup I wondered if many folks know how much usuable fuel they really have available in their 100 gallon tank.

Since buying the coach last April, I have been unhappy with the accuracy of the tank guage in our coach. Even when full it does not read "F." The folks at Vogt in Ft. Worth have been great so far on all warranty itmes (I highly reccomend their service department) and have recalibrated the fuel tank guage twice - in fact I do it now and have pretty much got it setup correctly. Since Monaco does not use a float system and since the tank s heavily baffled - getting an accurate reading at any point in time can be a challenge. After 7000 miles I've got it pretty much figured out and know at any reading what the approximate level is. I also use the Alladin Jr. system as well.

What I did learn was, while my tank may have a 100 gallon volumetric capacity, there are 20 gallons unsusable (expansion, foaming pickup location, etc.), so in reality I have an 80 gallon tank. Knocking off a quarter for reserve and generator cutoff and I am left with a 60 gallon cruising capacity - which gives me around 320-360 miles "real" range. Quite a bit less than I was told I could cruise but long enough of a drive time for a refuel and a break.

The bigger tanks (130/150) are the same way with around 20 or so gallons unusuable.

It's an intresting perspective from a marketing standpoint to say you've got a 100 gallon tank when in reality you don't.
wpitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #2

Well I am new and here is my first post- after reading the thread on generator fuel pickup I wondered if many folks know how much usuable fuel they really have available in their 100 gallon tank.

Since buying the coach last April, I have been unhappy with the accuracy of the tank guage in our coach. Even when full it does not read "F." The folks at Vogt in Ft. Worth have been great so far on all warranty itmes (I highly reccomend their service department) and have recalibrated the fuel tank guage twice - in fact I do it now and have pretty much got it setup correctly. Since Monaco does not use a float system and since the tank s heavily baffled - getting an accurate reading at any point in time can be a challenge. After 7000 miles I've got it pretty much figured out and know at any reading what the approximate level is. I also use the Alladin Jr. system as well.

What I did learn was, while my tank may have a 100 gallon volumetric capacity, there are 20 gallons unsusable (expansion, foaming pickup location, etc.), so in reality I have an 80 gallon tank. Knocking off a quarter for reserve and generator cutoff and I am left with a 60 gallon cruising capacity - which gives me around 320-360 miles "real" range. Quite a bit less than I was told I could cruise but long enough of a drive time for a refuel and a break.

The bigger tanks (130/150) are the same way with around 20 or so gallons unusuable.

It's an intresting perspective from a marketing standpoint to say you've got a 100 gallon tank when in reality you don't.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
wallypitts welcome to irv2
You seem to have covered the tank issue very well for your first post some people maybe unaware of what you have found. Us gas guys don't have the foaming issue but the Gen cut off always seems to generate a lively discussion.
Thanks for joining in and enjoy the forums and post often.
Owning a Monaco can make you a member of the Monaco Forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wally you are now a member.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks "007", for getting wallypitts set-up. I'm here on a 14k dialup connection in Kentucky, and it ain't doing much for my overall attitude

wallypitts:
Again, welcome. I too was frustrated with the fueling issues, but am so happy that I'm getting 9+mpg pulling a Wrangler in Kentucky mountains I can't stand it.

I also replaced the original generator pickup-tube with a longer one (yeah, I know - if I run out of fuel boondocking it's now my problem ) and got quite a few more miles before having to stop for fuel. I am also in the process of 'calibrating' the dash fuel-sender which is, as you noted, a bit arbitrary at times. Not a tough job, just frustrating. I'm using the SilverLeaf vmsPC system (similar to the Alladin - didn't get it on mine) and have got it pretty-much dialed-in.

My wife reminded me that I get cranky after just a 100 or so miles, so why should she have to put up with me driving straight thru for 300+ miles before stopping (guess that's why I love her, she's the rational one!)

Be interested in hearing how you get it all worked out.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #6

Thanks Ron!

I set the Aladdin for 80 gallons and try to stop when I have 20 left. When I have the Genset on, I add in 1 GPH to the total Aladdin shows the engine has used.

With almost 7000 miles now on the 400ISL I get 8.0-8.3 MPG going 55 and 6.3-6.5 going 70MPH. When I tow the almost 6000 pound Range Rover the MPG drops off around .2-.3 MPG depending on speed.

We have the coach loaded right up to the 33,000 pound limit BTW (weighed at two diifferent CAT certified scales) - which considering what we have on board, really surprised me. Monaco states I have an approx. 2600 pound carrying capacity but when you look at how it is determined I think you have quite a bit less. I wished they had used the RR8S chassis as the Diplomat, as currently, configured really pushes the weight limits - The Camelot same floor plane has around 5700 load carrying capacity. Of course if they did that the Camelot would be lees marketable.

Also, when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the fuel indications I always watched how level the pit was where I was fueling and always tried to fuel on the uphill filler. That was the only way I could get a consistent amount of fuel in the tank.

Wally
Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, I lied. I ain't getting 9+mpg after all . I'd been going by the readout on the vmsPC the last couple days, but then filled-up last nite and did the math. Ouch, it's only 8.45mpg. Guess I gotta do some more calibrating.

Either that, or maybe there's a discrepancy in the different fills? Yeah, that's it! Gee, maybe I really AM getting 17.7 mpg!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wallypitts:

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This must be a Monaco thing. I drove a FW with a FCCC chassis for 7 years and 80,000 miles and 90 gallon tank and it held 90 gallons. Yes, it had a 25% cutoff poiint for generator but I could drive past that point to empty if I so chose and often did. I have had and have a new Spartan chassis for four months with 150 gallon tank and it appears after 7000 miles to be capable of its stated capacity. I haven't yet had an occassion to see where genset cutout point hits.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #9

Aparently so - I understand it is due to tank design as well as pickup location as well as how the "space" is measured froma volumetric standpoint.

Being commercial chassis, I bet the Freightliner and Spartan allow more "real" fuel usage and a more accurate measuring system.

Wally
Old 09-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #10

I know on mine that it will take at least 87 gallons (100 Gallon tank). I was starting to sweat it when the I pulled into the station.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I played with my sending unit calibration and it's pretty accurate. At 1/2 tank it takes 50 gallons. Between 1/4 and 1/2 it takes 60. I've filled it to 80 a couple of times.
I never experienced where the gen pick-up drops out at.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #12

We have an o3 HR Endeavor with the 100 gal. fuel tank. When it was new I ran the tank till the low-fuel light came on just to check it. I then drove 10-12 miles. The tank took 92 gallons. Although I agree its difficult to get it full.

2018 Entegra Aspire 44W .
Ken Sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, I finally figured out how to get the 'rated' fuel-fill on these things. After 11k long and difficult miles of exposing myself to exhausting testing and experimenting at the fuel-pump (for your benefit, I might add), the light has dawned. Here's what you do...

Start out making a regular-type of fill, probably checking tires, washing bugs, etc, while it fills. When the pump shuts off, look at the gallons on the pump and do a mental calculation of how much you 'think' it should have taken. Then you stand there, smack-dab in front of the fuel-filler in your good shoes and wearing your last clean pair of slacks, and slowly lift the nozzle up-down and right-left, until you get a fairly decent flow going again (otherwise the automatic shutoff will continue to engage and always defeat your efforts). When you've found that sweet-spot, keep hitting the lever til the fuel foams back and begins to spit - all over the side of your clean coach, the ground, your shoes, your clothing and of course you! NOW you've got it. Keep going til you can't stand to see the $$ any longer. Simple, eh?

In actuality, I think what's happening is a combination of the way these fuel-tanks are built and a simple property of diesel-fuel itself. The fuel does have a strong propensity to want to foam up when agitated, and we certainly do that when we pressurize and then release the fuel into the tank. The other factor is the almost-horizontal fuel-filler hose itself. It's easy to get the tank mostly full, but those last few gallons are tough because we're now trying to force them on an almost flat plane from the lip of the filler right into the fuel level.

I bet if there was a drop of several inches, it'd be alot easier to get that last bit in there, but as it is we're working with a tank that probably IS essentially-correct in its rated capacity, but we have a tough time making fuel run almost uphill to get to there.

DISCLAIMER: Please realize the above 'procedure' was DEFINITELY meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and under NO circumstances should anyone EVER attempt to do that. It is not only wasteful, it's harmful to the environment and most certainly hazardous to your health to be releasing diesel-fuel like that!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
Retired Senior Member

I would be happy to have a guage that was accurate. I guess everything is relative and have learned how much is really in the tank when the guage indicates 1/2. Since it doesn't even move until I have driven 300 miles or so and is still touching the F mark at 400 miles it is annoying. If I could merely "adjust" about 40-gallons off the top it would make me feel better. As things work now, at 1/2 tank (or thereabouts) the generator shuts down and is a royal PITA to restart. The 130 gal claimed capacity is more like an 80-gal usable in mine.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote