Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2021, 11:19 PM   #1

How often do you change your oil in your pusher

If you don't drive your pusher 2000 miles during the last 12 months, do you change the oil or wait? I have been told that you don't have to change your oil every year or per mileage as listed in your manual. What is your thought on this?
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 11:28 PM   #2

Like my coach's PO told me, "I change the oil every year whether it needed it or not". Age vs mileage, I change oil by whichever comes first.
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Every 12 months. Oil, filters, and chassis lube. Air filter every other year.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I look at it by how much it really sits during that couple 2k miles

A DP has alot of oil in system.. If you did 10 short trips vs 3.. idle time , warm ups...
Oil is still good.. Running the RVis important to displace moisture that can build up while just sitting.. depends on your climate it sits in..
Wake up in AM and moisture is clinging all over RV,, internal parts feel damp, over time internal motor parts can gather that moisture ...

Some oils leave residual coatings for storage better than others.. no way to tell

so in doubt change it.. I have skipped filters change at times and also changed o;l no filter at certain times.

in doubt, just change
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:23 AM   #5

If in warranty I would follow mfg recommendations without question.
If you want to consider a second year on oil I would (and have done) oil sampling.
With 3,000 or so miles the samples always came back to continue use & resample in ? Miles / hours.
I have heard some claims that oil somehow degrades just sitting but have never seen any testing / study that substantiated such claims.
Some will rationalize change as cheap insurance... same with using synthetic and I'd rather not get into those "discussions"
I know lots of NE boaters that will let their oil change go another season when use hours are very low... and no issues arose.
Many claim diesels oil will turn acidic and eat engine parts but with low Sulphur and modern additives that is what they are there to prevent and what testing confirms are still working as designed.
Auto dealers and quick lubes still promote oil changes 2 - 3 X more often than mfg recommendations and many follow their recommendations.
Bottom line use and consider the science and do some testing to make up your own mind. I dont test every year but do periodically to confirm my previous findings are still valid and to get an indication if anything in the engine / cooling system is changing and needs attention.
Just another opinion / perspective

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have an oil analysis done each year (take oil sample after a long drive). The analysis will tell you if the oil needs to be changed.

And it's a good idea too since it can detect engine issues early (like coolant in the oil, diesel fuel, metals, and silicates).

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types/diesel/
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #7

Very year no matter what mileage
If I go over 20,000 in a yr I do a change as recommended
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND2SLC View Post
Like my coach's PO told me, "I change the oil every year whether it needed it or not". Age vs mileage, I change oil by whichever comes first.
Ditto!
Old 10-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think I would factor in your location. If in the desert moisture isn't much of a consideration. If on the Oregon coast it is.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:15 AM   #10

Every year, needed or not. We haven't driven much at all this year, or last year for that matter, but the coach will be getting a full service as usual. Always follow the Freightliner recommended maintenance schedule. We live about an hour from the Freightliner service center in Gaffney, so the coach goes there every year for service. Just like going in for my medical check up every year. Hope any problems can be discovered before they become a major issue.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #11

How often do you change your oil in your pusher

Cummins says every 10k but I change it every 7500 miles. Changing low mileage oil yearly is a waste of money (per my diesel mechanic). Get an oil analysis yearly. $20-$30. Cheap insurance and will save you hundreds (potentially thousands) in unnecessary oil changes, and could warn you of impending engine problems.

Equally as important, You should have your coolant analyzed every year also.

Edit: That being said, if you’re not the do it yourself type, A yearly shop visit may provide a peace of mind that you really can’t put a price on.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil changes are cheap compared to a destroyed engine. Short trips and letting it set is not good. There is moisture build in the oil and this will cause acids to form.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Oil changes are cheap compared to a destroyed engine. Short trips and letting it set is not good. There is moisture build in the oil and this will cause acids to form.

Ken

Thus the oil analysis.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a related question. If you do change it, do you change it at the end of your travels or just before you start your next trip.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote