Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

How rare are Monaco 34 footers by model?

I recently purchased a 2003 Diplomat 34pbd. My research prior to purchase turned up very few 34 foot models (videos, pictures, or discussion). Even a search of the Monaco sub forum returns a dozen or so posts.

And as luck would have it, 2003 owners manual is missing on Monaco's website. I read the 2002 version before purchase and ours came with a hard copy. Most things are the same on the 36 and longer models. But, it makes me wonder just how many 34 footers were made in 2003. (and how many are still on the road).

My theory is that they are so awesome, none of the owners come here looking for help with problems.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #2

Hi Snotick; I second the motion! Yes, if you are talking about DP 34' coaches. It too us, again, about 2 years to find our 2001 34' Windsor. Not to get off the subject but, it took about 3 years to find our first coach, a 2000 32' Windsor. As you move up the model ladder, not just in the Monaco line, the shorter the coach the more rare it could be to find. I think, IMHO, that the cost from a 34' DP to a 40' DP is very little for that extra 6'. I think the mindset is, Wow, look at what the 34' cost is and what you get for space and storage and for just a little more cash we get a lot more space and a whole lot of extra storage that we can fill up and take with us. I had 2, 2001 Monaco 34' Dynasty's slip right through my fingers because they were out of state and it was the holiday season and no matter how fast I could get there to view the coach they go sold in just hours and days after being posted on the market. To my knowledge as the model years progressed past 2000 the manufactures made less inventory of shorter coaches.

I still have some issues at times with the Windsor but not anymore than others here in the product line. Monaco, County Coach and others produced very good reliable products that I am aware of. My 34' Windsor will last us until the wife and I don't want to RV anymore. I think those with the smaller coaches hold on to them for a reason. FYI, I had our 2000 32' Windsor sold 2 years before we decided to go slightly bigger. Love to hear more reason here why owners hold onto their shorter coach. Just my perspective on the op's question!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

Hi 8.3Oilbuner.

We had been looking at 32-36 ft coaches for that last couple of years. I was mainly concentrating on 2000-2003 Winnebago Journey DL's and Itasca Horizons. I liked the basement air and the standard 10k towing on those units. We considered other models, but after researching most, there was some glaring issue or price that chased us away. We thought about the Monaco Knight and the HR Ambassador, but would need to make sure the trailing arms were fixed or budget for the fix.

We lucked into this Diplomat. It was only 60 miles away and afforded us the chance to view it multiple times. We looked at 2 other coaches during that 10 day period. One was a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36'. It was the same price and same mileage. But it had a roof leak in the shower skylight and the common windshield leak.

Our Diplomat had a lot of upgraded options. I've gone through the brochure and can only find a few that it didn't have. Ours has the 3m film (is just starting to show cracks), slide out pass through storage trays, chrome heated mirrors, six way power co-pilot seat with the power foot rest, dash fans, power sun visors, upgraded sat/nav stereo, rear color camera w/side cameras, 4 door Norcold fridge, automatic satellite system, 7.5kw genset, solar panels, kitchen water filter, bathroom fan, electric patio awning, window awning, and aluminum wheels.

It has the table and chairs instead of the fold down dinette and the fold out love seat is of course smaller than a regular couch. But, we are planning on full timing it and will just be the two of us. I'm actually looking at options for shortening the kitchen table (it slides in and out about 8 inches) or hinging it so it folds down against the cabinets. We need to see how much we will actually use it. Also have plans to build an ottoman/bench to replace one of the dining chairs. We can put it on wheels and use it as a foot rest for the couch or wheel it over to the table and use it for seating. It will also add a little more storage.

Enough ramblings. I'll just apologize now for all the questions I'll have moving forward. If it doesn't show, I'm as happy as a kid in a candy store.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

Good morning Snotick; Thanks for all the info on your Diplomat. When we were looking for our first DP we were going to the local Monaco dealer that was only 8 miles from the house. They always seemed to have a good inventory of used and new coaches. Our first drive was a 1998 Monaco Dynasty Duke, 38'. Well talk about getting spoiled right out of the gate! The Dynasty was too long for us and too much money. Next we drove a 2003 Monaco Knight 32'. What a change from the Dynasty when it cam to ride and power. After returning to the lot after the Knight test drive, on the way out of the lot a coach caught my eye. It was a 2003 Monaco Diplomat 34'. We toured the coach and I really did like it. The 8 air bag suspension and the 330 Cummin's for power. Trouble was it was out of our price range. So we ended up finding the 2000 Monaco Windsor 32' in Az. and flew down and bought it.

It was surprising to read your post as how we had looked at a 2003 34' Diplomat in 2003. I look at a lot on RV Trader and other sources and have not seen a coach like yours for sale. So as you mentioned there are not too many made in 2003 by Monaco. Hope you enjoy the Diplomat and if you have questions this is the place to come ask them. Enjoy!
Old 05-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
How rare are Monaco 34 footers by model?

The "small" Monacos are indeed very hard to find as only a few were built in this length (34ft - 36ft).
I have been looking for almost 2 years because I wanted to have an ISL400 as engine and inside a light wood version and all possible in Dynasty or Windsor with a maximum of 36 ft.
I live in Germany and travel with it mainly in Europe and there are the 36 ft already pretty much the maximum what can still move well.
Whereby the total length is less decisive but rather the wheelbase to get everywhere in Europe.
I bought my Dynasty 34ft in Houston 2015 and am absolutely satisfied with the model and the purchase, is the best motorhome I had until then.
Greetings
Roland
Old 05-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #6

Hi Georgie-Boy; If you still have the 34' Dynasty, hang onto it as they are rare as hens teeth! As a previous owner of a 2000 32' Windsor and now have a 2001 34' Windsor, you will not see many for sale. If you want the ISL there are only a couple of years that the Windsor and Dynasty were built with the ISL. So it took 3years to find the 2000 Windsor and after we sold that it took over almost 3 years to find the 01 Windsor. If they do come up for sale you had better be ready to move like lighting as they will be gone in a flash!
Old 05-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #7

1994 30' dynasty

I have a 1994 30' dynasty we bought new. It has the 230hp Cummins six speed transmission,8 air bags, 8 gas shocks, full body paint, side radiator. This has been a wonderful rv, we usually travel about 3 months a year, but since I am now 86 years, we now only go to DV and Imperial dam. It always in a heated shop, so it is in beautiful condition. The reason for this post, was wondering how many 30' were made. We will be stopping someday and was wondering if I should start looking for selling it in the future, as long as I still loving rving, thanks for any information on this rv, Larry

a

a

a
lmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We owned a 34' Windsor. After owning two 40+ coaches I'll never buy a short diesel again. The short coaches are terrible handling.

They command a premium price and are very difficult to find.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #9

handling

I have never had any handling problems with our 94 30' Dynasty
Old 05-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #10

handling

I have had Corvettes all my life, still have a 1996 CE six speed, so I would know if I had handling problems with the RV, just because some people have had a problem with their rv does mean everyone has had a problem, gives a bad name for small rvs cheers
Old 05-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
These guys usually have a few short Country Coach diesels. Be careful as sometimes they are over twice the market price. But, most of there inventory is high quality.
https://www.kenaicoach.com/DealerFiles/
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
We owned a 34' Windsor. After owning two 40+ coaches I'll never buy a short diesel again. The short coaches are terrible handling.

They command a premium price and are very difficult to find.
As Vito said the longer WB the better handling for sure. I have a 36' Dynasty and it drives ok, I have improved it a bit with the Monacowatts products.
The 36' is a nice size for weekend trips. A little less of a freight train pulling a large trailer. The short coach has its place. I see very few 34' or 36' Monaco's for sale especially anything newer than about 2001.

Tags
monaco