Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

How to access driveshaft/grease rear of chassis?

Hello,

I have a 09 Safari Cheetah 42 on a Roadmaster 10 airbag rear radiator tag axle chassis.

After recently reading some posts on greasing the chassis, I bought a grease gun and went to work.

The front half of the greasing the chassis went easy and I was done in 30 minutes.

The back half of the chassis is another matter. There is a "steel lattice" in the way so that I can not access the driveshaft. For background info, I am 6'2 and 150 lbs. I was known as "monkey man" in high school due to my ability to get into contortions.

Additionally, now I am worried that if I were to need a tow on the side of the road, the tow truck operator would not be able to get in there to disconnect the driveshaft.

How do you owners of the RR10R Tag Axle chassis deal with this? Is there something I am missing?

The only solutions I can think of are to raise the rear tires off ground with jacks, or dump tag air, and drive drive axle up on ramps. Both of these solutions sound extremely unsafe to me. I really do not want to be risking my life like this every 5000 miles to grease a ujoint.

Thanks,
moparmaga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #2

The towtruck driver can pull the axles without getting under the coach so that isn't going to be a concern.

My tag axle coach is so close to the ground that I have to drive it up on long solid timber ramps before I can wriggle underneath and then it is still a battle to get at all the grease points
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
From your description it sounds like you have a Rock Guard under the coach that is there to protect the radiator from things on the road being thrown up into it. That shield should be removable. Will likely have to come off to change the oil also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monaco rock guard.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	36143  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
YC1

Interesting and curious. I have an 08 Endeavor with a rock guard that looks like the one pictured. It does have to come off for oil changes but not to grease the drive shaft.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Rex -- It`s not a rock guard that he`s refering to -- It`s the framing for the tag -- I have the same problem with our 42' Camelot -- I use Speeco to grease our coach -- I do all the other stuff, but can`t get to the front u-joint to grease it -- Bill willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
moparmaga2.....Hopefully, you'll figure out how to access that tag zerk. Now here is some news that might be good or bad . The front steering shaft has three zerks on it. One under the coach you can easily see, one midway up the shaft that has to be done from underneath, usually by wiggling around the generator and the third one is inside the coach.

The inside fitting is under the shroud that surronds the steering column. Remove the screws that hold the shroud together and you'll see the third zerk. I don't necessarilly grease the two upper ones every time I lube.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmaga2 View Post

The only solutions I can think of are to raise the rear tires off ground with jacks, or dump tag air, and drive drive axle up on ramps. Both of these solutions sound extremely unsafe to me. I really do not want to be risking my life like this every 5000 miles to grease a ujoint.

Thanks,
Then you insert JACK STANDS........
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Then you insert JACK STANDS........
Or as a an old time farmer/rancher would do it use heavy blocks of wood. 6" X 6" X 24" blocks can be cross stacked as necessary. You just don't crawl under heavy duty equipment without extra safety stand of some type. Especially farm equipment when the wheels are almost 6 ft in diameter.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis