RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to access our freshwater tank

Iím looking for some guidance.

We just purchased a used 2007 Safari Simba 36PDQ rear diesel and are in the process of repairing some of the minor issues found in an older coach. One of my pressing issues is a leak in the freshwater tank. At least I think it may be a leak. However after reading threads here on the IRV2 website it could be the overflow and/or siphoning issue. I turned off the fill hose when I noticed water running out on the curbside and I thought it was from an overflow hose. However, the flow continued for nearly 45 minutes after I turned off and disconnected the fill hose.

This is where I need help. I believe the freshwater tank is located behind a fixed panel on the curbside just before the rear tires. But I canít get that panel open to inspect the tank. Iíve read some reports that there are upto four screws or bolts below the door however I canít see any under mine. All I see is a thick layer of under undercoating. When I opened the compartment door just ahead of the fixed panel I see the piano type hing on the fixed panel indicating it should open up by swinging to the side.

Can someone tell me how to open the freshwater tank access door?
I very much appreciate your assistance.
Raddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #2

Hi Raddster; Yes, under the bottom flange of the access door to the water tank could be some rivets or screws or bolts that when the coach was built the factory secured the door. Under the outside of that door where it bends under the coach do you see 2 rivet heads? This is how most are fastened from the factory. That was the way the door was fastened on my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor. On my now owned 2001 Windsor the rivets are gone and 2 bolt heads are where the rivets were in the door. This means some previous owner need to access the water tank compartment along with the black and gray tanks for some reason. I needed to extend my sewer hose holder and removed the 2 nuts on the underside of the door and opened that access door. Hope this gets you going to get in there. I think if no one has ever been in that compartment you are going to have some rivets to drill out. Let us know what you find to help others here in this forum and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll look again.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Your coach may be totally different from my 2002 Windsor but here goes. The tank access door is right in front of the rear wheels on the passenger side. It has two metal straps at the bottom, with two sheet metal screws securing it. The undercoating may be covering the screw heads but you should be able to see the metal straps and find the screws.

It sounds like you just have a siphoning problem. When I fill the freshwater tank I watch until the water starts running out the overflow tube in front of the rear tire on the passenger side. I shut off the water, then hold my finger over the end of the tube for about 30 seconds or so. If I don't do that the water keeps siphoning out after I shut off the hose.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I saw the piano hinge on ours and using a flashlight, I was able to see a couple of sheet metal screws on the opposite side of the hinge - a very thin driver can get to them, then it swings open like the other bay doors.... hope this helps...
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Thanks to each of you I have new avenues to approach in solving my access issue. Today I'll be working on the coach and will report back what I found.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

Have a GREAT day.

Steve & Nancy
Old 07-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I saw the piano hinge on ours and using a flashlight, I was able to see a couple of sheet metal screws on the opposite side of the hinge - a very thin driver can get to them, then it swings open like the other bay doors.... hope this helps...
JohnBoyToo,

Thank you. Problem solved.

Following your advice I took my pocket high intensity flashlight for a look see and sure enough I saw the two screws you mentioned. By removing the two philips head screws from the non-hinged side I had access to the freshwater tank. BTW the Black and Gray tanks are located on top of the freshwater tank. That bay door provides easy access to major plumbing lines.

Again, I want to thank ALL of you for your suggestions.

Have a GREAT day,

Steve & Nancy
Old 07-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
glad my experience with our previous disaster helped you

Now that you got to it, is it fixable ? let us know what fixed it... good luck
Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
glad my experience with our previous disaster helped you

Now that you got to it, is it fixable ? let us know what fixed it... good luck
The results of my discovery are mixed. On the good side, I found my fresh water tank isn't damaged (whew) which is great news. Also located the overflow tube and definitely know that's where the water is exiting.

On the other hand, I still have no idea if the tank is only half full as indicated by my onboard tank monitoring station. The white plastic prevents my seeing the water level. I'm thinking about grabbing a shop light and reaching over the tank and placing the light behind it and hoping that will allow me to see where the water level is.

Again, I want to sincerely thank each of you who have offered your experience and suggestions. It's been a great help.

Have a GREAT day...
Old 08-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #10

Good morning Steve; I think you have a great idea. The light might make the water level show in the tank. I know this is not very scientific but I have filled the water tank on both of my Windsor's enough times I can guess the level. I use the same faucet to fill the water each time and turn the water on to the same spot for flow. When the tank is empty and as it is filling you can hear the water drop into the tank as it is filling as the fill is at the top of the tank. You can hear the water dropping into the tank and as the tank fills the amount of noise starts to drop. I can guess where the level of the tank is by how much noise the water is creating by dropping into the tank and when I go check the level I am spot on. Sounds kooky, but I guess I have done this too long. Just my perspective on what has worked for me.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water