Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to change black/gray tank quantity sensors

I changed out my gray and black tank sensors last night. Both my sensors are plugged up with paper and stuff. You can see the two sensors on the right in the picture below are full of stuff whereas the one on the left is new. The paper/stuff tends to stick to the silicone inside the sensor and it has a plastic cross bar that traps it there (I thought about spraying some Pam on the new sensors?). You can try to clean them, but Mike Canter warns us that it is easy to destroy the small pressure transducer embed inside. I’ve tried soaking them in a Dixie cup with Dawn soap for a week and not had good results.
I ordered new Sensors from Catcon Products in TX. Part number is: 500-10050-07
They are $52.50 each.
http://www.catconproducts.com/RV-sensor.html

The hard part is finding the sensors on the motor home. You have some help in that they will always be at the bottom of the tank and there is an RJ11 phone cord attached to each one. On my 2007 Exec they were horizontal screwed into a PVC elbow screwed into the bottom of each tank just above the tank dump valves (this is a much better configuration). It had a removable panel that made access easier. On my 2004 Sig, the black sensor is screwed in vertical just above the black tank drain valve behind an alum panel.If you get down real low you can see them, but it’s easier to feel where they are with your hand. The gray tank sensor is in the same location but above the gray drain valve. I tried removing the panels but ran into dead ends with riveted angle alum holding everything in place. You could remove the drain valves and make access easier, but I would only do this if you need new valves.

My recommendation is to FIRST fill the tanks with water and lots of Dawn dish soap (get the giant sized bottle at Costco and pour it down the shower for gray, and down the toilet for black). Let them sit for a few days then drain and rinse. I did this three times and then the water coming out the clear drain elbow started looking very clear. I also added some CLR (Calcium Lime Rust remover) and some Calgon water softener as my black rinse line was partially plugged. This did the trick and I did not have to disassemble the black rinse line, but it did not clean out the sensors.

First unplug the RJ11 cord. To remove the sensors, I used a pair of channel locks to loosen them ¼ turn and then did the rest with my hand. They should have a layer of Teflon tape on them and should screw out easily. I tried to get a wrench up in there, but the hex is 1 ¼” and the wrench was too big to maneuver. If I had a 1 ¼” socket in the motor home that may have worked. It takes some contortions to get at the sensor and the rough edge of the alum plate over them cut up my glove/hand. Put at least 2 layers of Teflon tape on the new sensor threads and screw them in as tight as you can get them with your hand. On my Exec this was tight enough, but on the Sig I had to get the channel locks up in there and give them another ½ turn. I tested them by adding water through the rinse lines to make sure they didn’t leak. Plug the RJ11 cord back in. Then I filled both tanks and calibrated them on the Aladdin Full side, then drained them and calibrated the empty side. When full, it helps to let them sit for an hour or two and settle down as the raw value tends to move around slightly when new.

Now I’m looking for the fresh water sensor. Does anyone know where the fresh water sensor is located on a 2004 Monaco Signature?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank sensors.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	171501  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my 05 Sig. it is located on the Dr. front side of tank, about 12" from the end of the tank .

Curt
05 Sig.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If I were changing the level sensors, I'd go for the type that stick to the tank exterior and don't have to penetrate the tank sides. Any sensor inside the tank is subject to contamination and false readings, as you've found out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

I just installed the SeeLevel bluetooth system and really like it. I left my existing system in place and mounted the SeeLevel board down in the wet bay. I can check inside the coach on my phone, and have the display down there if I'm emptying or backwashing. So far seems extremely accurate. Not cheap though. I wish they'd come up with a wireless version.
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If I were changing the level sensors, I'd go for the type that stick to the tank exterior and don't have to penetrate the tank sides. Any sensor inside the tank is subject to contamination and false readings, as you've found out.

Do you have a link to the sensors?... and are they compatible with the Aladin system?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Do you have a link to the sensors?... and are they compatible with the Aladin system?

Thanks in advance
There are a number of outside-the-tank sensors.

I have no idea if any can work with your Aladin system, you'll have to investigate.

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/

https://tankedge.com/accessories.html

Sanidumps: Product Review - iSeries Tank Systems Monitor

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There are a number of outside-the-tank sensors.

I have no idea if any can work with your Aladin system, you'll have to investigate.

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/

https://tankedge.com/accessories.html

Sanidumps: Product Review - iSeries Tank Systems Monitor
Thanks
Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #8

On our 2007 Navigator the fresh water sensor is on the opposite end of the plumbing bay, the opposite end of the fresh water tank on the passenger side of the coach. In fact it is readily accessible inside the bay door, and of course it has never caused me any trouble...
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
So Curts fresh water sensor is on the driver's side and Bills is on the passenger side!

Curt, do you access the sensor from underneath, or from the wet bay door?
Also, I'm not understanding 12" from the end of the tank?
Is that 12" from the front of the tank towards the back, or 12" from the drivers side towards the center, or??
Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #10

We put the SeeLevel system in our '06 Dynasty a few years ago, and yes, it worked with the Aladdin. I will say I don't recall how the interconnection was made, but I want to recall that it came with pigtail(s) and connector(s) that made it a plug and play, with just some re-programming to calibrate it.

We subsequently, two years ago, replaced the Aladdin with the Silverleaf system, and the SeeLevel works with it, as well, as would the original Aladdin sensors. It's nice to have options, especially since Aladdin went the way of the unicorn, about a year after our coach was produced.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
So Curts fresh water sensor is on the driver's side and Bills is on the passenger side!

Curt, do you access the sensor from underneath, or from the wet bay door?
Also, I'm not understanding 12" from the end of the tank?
Is that 12" from the front of the tank towards the back, or 12" from the drivers side towards the center, or??
Yes the access is in the wet bay , By the hose reel. Yes it is 12" from the drivers side towards the center of the coach, It is very easy to get to on mine. so when I replace a bad sensor in the gray or black tank, I take the fresh water sensor out and put it in where the bad one was & put the new sensor in the fresh water tank.

Curt
Old 08-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I spent more time looking for the fresh water tank quantity sensor. Took most of the removable panels off in the driver’s side wet bay. Even looked in the adjacent bay. Could not find it. Checked the water tank area on the passenger side that has the basement door held closed with two cam lock fasteners underneath. Couldn’t find it. Then looked in the adjacent bay passenger side where the water pump and Aqua Hot are and saw the RJ11 telephone cable with small convolute tubing over it going through a small notched out hole into the wet bay. The small cover is glued on with white silicone. The sensor is about 12” inward toward the center from the outside bay door just text to the water pump.

Tags
gray tank, tank