Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to dump air from the suspension prior to leveling

My 2006 Monaco Safari Cheetah seems to have no way to dump air from the suspension without dumping the tanks. This is a big pia because it takes forever, the alarm is going off most of he time, and then it has to air up the tanks again before we leave, again, with the alarm blaring. We rented a different DP before we bought this one and it had a lever in the floor to dump the suspension. This coach has a button on the console I ASSUMED did the same thing .. not. Any ideas??
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can take awhile, especially with 10 airbags. I put a clothes pin under the dash switch while I connect Power and Water at the site. Ignition key must be on or in acc mode.
My PG levelers will also dump the suspension air when it is in Auto mode but the jacks extend before the coach settles down.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just hold the PB button down part way to dump the air but not all the way down and watch the needles on the dash gage to hit bottom then pull all the way up on the PB then level the MH.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Pump the brakes hard four or five times and the tanks will be close to empty.

Personally, I don't dump my tanks when leveling. When I hit manual leveling on the HWH system the coach drops about 2". Then I lower the jacks.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the dump switch does not dump sir check the mac solenoids for mud dabbers clocging the exhsust ports
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
If the dump switch does not dump sir check the mac solenoids for mud dabbers clocging the exhsust ports
x2

It's not hard and not in anyway bad for the suspension to add a lowering system to your coach if it did not come with one.

Two types of valves are used, manual that flips to the side and releases the air directly out of the valve, and the switch actuated electric valve, that is much easier to install.

Look these up and you will find the simplified air suspension schematics for both, compare it to your coach schematic, and you can easily do the mod yourself.

How ever first check to be sure you don't already have a system, and it's just clogged as avfordguy stated..

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When we first got ours, it would dump, but very, VERY slowly....
it wasn't a big deal to me since we had all the more important setup items to do like getting the ac going, straightening out the 120 pair of shoes SHE brought, etc....

With more use, I guess we bothered the critters enough that they left and I can hear the air escaping faster now...
Old 06-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
I just hold the PB button down part way to dump the air but not all the way down and watch the needles on the dash gage to hit bottom then pull all the way up on the PB then level the MH.

I use the parking brake method too. You can do this in conjunction with pumping the brakes and the air is gone in short order.

I also found the alarm sounder under the dash on top of the steering column. I muted it a bit with some paper towel and duct tape

Rest assured that it is still plenty LOUD enough to be an effective alert. I am just not as at risk for hearing damage.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Again, the dump switch works. It dumps the tanks. I just want to dump the suspension and keep full tanks. The Coachman CrossCountry I rented had such a system.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have anyway to just dump one.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #11

How to dump air from the suspension prior to leveling

My 98 Endeavor must have two tanks. Before I level I push the dump air switch and only the airbag system bleeds off. No alarms. The brake system stays aired up. I have to run the engine a few minutes before moving anyway so It pumps backup and raises the coach back to ride height. With the idle up on the cruise control it only takes a few minutes to air up both systems anyway.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Commercial Member

you dont want to dump all the air from the tanks. you should not have less than about 60 lbs on your gauge. that maintains your park brake on an air ride system.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Then I've heard wrong
Was told the parking brake defaults to being 'set' without air..

similar to the jacks are defaulted to always be up and must be pushed down???

Am I getting ready for a roll down the hill ?!?

I guess I've tested it too since I dump all my air when setting up and many times don't even put the jacks down if reasonably level.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Air is used to release the park brake. No air = park (spring/emergency) engaged.

Tags
leveling, suspension