Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrvr66 View Post
Attachment 157007

Attachment 157008

Attachment 157009

Do you think I have a chance of fixing this problem?? Thanks so much for your help

ladyrvr66 - Bubbles & Heidi

I would be very concerned about your battery tray situation that you posted and the battery trays totally falling and landing on top of each other and shorting out causing a major fire issue and electrical component shorted out.

That being said you need to get the coach in a situation where you can work on it because you will be out of service for a while repairing the situation and ordering the needed parts.

If you cannot do this yourself? .....I would be looking for a welding and / or fabricating shop to handle this for me. It's not a technical job it's just going to require the correct tools to do the job.

I hope my post doesn't cause you to panic, but this needs to be addressed and now ...or sooner.

The folks here have you on the right track to get the parts you will need to do the job.

Remember that you need to disconnect all the neg cables and all the positive and also disconnect from shore power.

Also, the coach chassis manufacturer suggests unplugging all Electronic control modules trans & engine if your welding on your chassis. I know that some here have not done so while welding without incident ......... but in my best Clint Eastwood voice..... " Do you feel Luck Punk?"

Don't worry, you're in good hand here at iRV2 and you will get walked thru the necessary steps to repair the situation correctly.

Happy Hunting
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #16

Also use this search engine here at iRV2 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	157016and key words " Battery Tray" and the likes
Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Just checked my batteries today. I haven't looked at them in 6 months. Haven't done anything to them in a year.

The deep cycles are down maybe an 1/8th of an inch, I will add some water. The connections are all clean (as you can see). My starter batteries are showing a little corrosion - but I didn't float oil on them.

Normally the deep cycles would be a mess from acid being boiled off, but you can see the benefit of floating some mineral oil.

Last, my batteries are a little dirty, but given that I drive in winter weather for extended periods, I'm very happy with the condition. I used to find piles of road sand and gravel in my battery area before I closed some of it off.

Since I've closed the battery box in (not completely, but more than before) I'm seeing more corrosion on the starters than I used to see, so I'll probably float oil on them now. They didn't used to build up corrosion because they are generally charged while driving, but with less air flow into the box they are starting to corrode faster.

BTW - kind of annoying that the import of the pictures inverts them, but you can see what I'm pointing out.
I agree with the mineral oil, here are two pictures of my batteries taken in 2008 with absolutely no maintenance since I put the mineral oil in in 2004.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	157017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	157018  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After getting the drawer pulled out. Before disconnecting anything. Make a drawing of the battery placement and the wiring, better yet take lots of photos. Put wire markings on the wires also.

Good Luck!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
After getting the drawer pulled out. Before disconnecting anything. Make a drawing of the battery placement and the wiring, better yet take lots of photos. Put wire markings on the wires also.

Good Luck!
Good call

and if your old like me ....use a camera or cell phone to take lots of pics of all the cable routing as stated.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I agree with the mineral oil, here are two pictures of my batteries taken in 2008 with absolutely no maintenance since I put the mineral oil in in 2004.
Are you saying that you haven't added water to your batteries in 4 years?

If so?

Wow!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Battery Tray Slideout.

Ohh no. I went to Ohio and purchased this last Dec 2015, then Feb 2016 I was one of the unlucky ones who was in the middle of the floods, my home had four feet of water in it for 7 weeks, then I fought the flood insurance people for a few months. I lived in my motor home during this time,. and since have been cleaning and repairing since flood. And doing it myself as help was scarce due so many being flood. Just a mess and I just now looked at my battery compartment. I am a very very young 78 year old who tries to do her own repairs. But this really got ahead of me. I am so very very thank for for all the help I received in this forum. So very very much appreciated.

ladyrvr66 , Bubbles and Heidi
2008 hOLIDAY Rambler Augusta
ladyrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #22

Maybe you should be ladyrv78? Good on you for making the effort.

Anyway, this is not a big job for a shop to do, but the thing is they are very bad about doing research and finding a part. A few hours on the internet and the phone and you may find yourself some used parts from a wreck. You will need the inside dimensions of the box, or the exact dimensions of your trays.

I'm not schilling for these guys, there are others out there, but they are parting out a bunch of MHs, they may have what you need - RV Salvage Motorhomes - Parting Out Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | RV Salvage Parts | Visone RV | Motorhomes And Repairable Wrecks | Used RV Parts Monaco RV Parts | Prevost RV Parts | Holiday Rambler Parts | Alfa Visone RV Junk Yard - RV Dism They have a 2008 Holiday Rambler they are parting out.

As noted, a collapse is possible, but you can prevent a problem in the mean time by buying some cheap foam tiles and cut a piece to sit on your lower tray for now (assumes you are driving it).
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #23

Here is a company that sells battery boxes Battery Trays - Fleming Sales OEM | Elkhart, IN I don't know anything about them but I will be ordering battery hold down straps
from.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Batteries are heavy. When you pull out the tray, be sure to have a support table underneath.

If you need to replace the tray, here are some sources.

Journeyman from Keyline Sales (Elkhart, IN)
Accuride heavy duty draw slide
Orr & Orr heavy duty draw slide
Slidemaster
Kwikee trays
Mor/ryde battery tray

Recently had the same problem. Rather than replace the tray, I decided to just replace the slides. After shopping around I found that Accuride has a heavy duty slide (9301 series) that can hold 300-500 lbs depending on application. I found the best prices at "www.cabinetparts.com"
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Rusted battery slideout tray

I want to thank all who has helped me with this problem. Since I realize this is not a diy job for me to handle, i am going to take motor home to a RV shop to see if they will do the work for me. I am searching on all sites you guys submitted and see if I can find what I need. Again THANKS SO MUCH, you all have been really really helpful. HUGS TO ALL

ladyrvr66 (now 78 lol) Bubbles (toy poodle) & Heidi (german shephard)
2008 30' Holiday Rambler Augusta

Old 04-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #26

I do think that unless you have a good assortment of tools, mechanical aptitude, reasonable upper body strength, and good knees, this is a job for a shop.

Having said that, you are so much better off if you can locate the parts - most shops just look at a few supplier catalogues and it can get very expensive, especially if they don't find a direct fit and have to start fabricating.

Here are some other used parts sources mentioned on another post (related to damaged mirror parts, but RV salvage is not part specific):
fivestarsalvage.com
maxrv.com/rvsalvage
glen-l.com/campus/supplies
visoneautomart.com
Northwest RV Supply Northwest RV Supply
Veurinks RV (Sue) 616-965-9619
http://colawrvsalvage.com
http://bontrangers.com
RV Misc
www.azrvinc.com
Singletonsrv.com
Sullivan RV Sales and Service

Good luck.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I do think that unless you have a good assortment of tools, mechanical aptitude, reasonable upper body strength, and good knees, this is a job for a shop.

Having said that, you are so much better off if you can locate the parts - most shops just look at a few supplier catalogues and it can get very expensive, especially if they don't find a direct fit and have to start fabricating.

Here are some other used parts sources mentioned on another post (related to damaged mirror parts, but RV salvage is not part specific):
fivestarsalvage.com
maxrv.com/rvsalvage
glen-l.com/campus/supplies
visoneautomart.com
Northwest RV Supply Northwest RV Supply
Veurinks RV (Sue) 616-965-9619
http://colawrvsalvage.com
http://bontrangers.com
RV Misc
www.azrvinc.com
Singletonsrv.com
Sullivan RV Sales and Service

Good luck.
Bad knee's for sure I have, pretty good on upper body strength, but the battery compartment has to be held open with one hand and the tray pulled out with the other, therefore I just lost out on upper body strength. Propping door open didn't help either. Am taking your advise and getting RV shop to do work for me. Expensive, but I guess better than losing the whole battery tray thing by me not doing it right, even if I was able to.
Everyone has been so helpful and I just cannot express my appreciation for that!

Ladyrvr66

Tags
battery, rust