Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Update!! ... A few phillips head screws and I'll be able to take it down. Then it's just a matter of unscrewing the cabinet and lowering it. It looks like I can take about 7-8 inches off the top of it so that will be nice. Thanks to all for your help. I should have been able to figure it out before but I didn't realize how easy that back panel would come off.
Mine was just that easy to take down, but someone had already done it the first time on mine.
On yours it might not be quiiiiiite so easy.
When we got the rig it had already been upgraded to an older flat-screen and the tv cabinet had already been trimmed on the sides to it didn't protrude much past the fronts of the adjacent cabinets.
There's a cleat at the front of the cabinet that joins the cabinet to the horizontal plywood between it and the windshield.
On mine, it appeared that the cleat had originally been stapled down into the cabinet frame. With a lot of staples...
There should be some screws through the cabinet sides into the adjacent cabinets, and I think mine also had some screws up into 3/4" plywood above the headliner.
But then you'll need to get in between the cleat and the cabinet and pry the two apart or get between them and somehow cut the staples.
As far as cutting the cabinet; rather than trying to disassemble, cut and reassemble the cabinet, I cut off the TOP of the cabinet and just slid the whole carcass up. I shortened it such that the the TV hangs down about 2" past the bottom of the cabinet.
My TV is wider than the cabinet, with the profile of the back curve of the tv coped into the bottom of the box. Here's how the cabinet wound up.
Pardon the construction above... still in the process of fixing some water damage for cracked fiberglass seam where the cap meets the roof.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_cabinet.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	325088
Cheers,
Walter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
Mine was just that easy to take down, but someone had already done it the first time on mine.
On yours it might not be quiiiiiite so easy.
When we got the rig it had already been upgraded to an older flat-screen and the tv cabinet had already been trimmed on the sides to it didn't protrude much past the fronts of the adjacent cabinets.
There's a cleat at the front of the cabinet that joins the cabinet to the horizontal plywood between it and the windshield.
On mine, it appeared that the cleat had originally been stapled down into the cabinet frame. With a lot of staples...
There should be some screws through the cabinet sides into the adjacent cabinets, and I think mine also had some screws up into 3/4" plywood above the headliner.
But then you'll need to get in between the cleat and the cabinet and pry the two apart or get between them and somehow cut the staples.
As far as cutting the cabinet; rather than trying to disassemble, cut and reassemble the cabinet, I cut off the TOP of the cabinet and just slid the whole carcass up. I shortened it such that the the TV hangs down about 2" past the bottom of the cabinet.
My TV is wider than the cabinet, with the profile of the back curve of the tv coped into the bottom of the box. Here's how the cabinet wound up.
Pardon the construction above... still in the process of fixing some water damage for cracked fiberglass seam where the cap meets the roof.
Attachment 325088
Cheers,
Walter
Thanks for the info and the pic. I was going to do something similar in cutting off the top where it attaches to the ceiling. I wanted to preserve the nice rounded corners on the two bottom edges and not have mess with trying to match stain. I like how you coped the back side too. I might have to give that a try. Maybe. How did you get the coped pattern? If I may ask.
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEllis View Post
We recently purchased a 2005 Diplomat. I glanced at the TV in the bedroom. It looks to me like it's bolted through the cabinet it sits on.
I had to remove the whole tv/cabinet in our bedroom because the box in the back of it where the A.C. outlet was had shorted out and burned the outlet. Lucky there was no fire but it was before we bought the rig. Anyway, ours is on a semi-rotating platform that takes up the entire compartment behind the tv. When they replace the old tv with the flat screen, they installed a bracket system on the platform that has a piece on the platform and a piece on the back of the tv. The two of them are mated together by a horizontal rod that turns a 1/4 turn and slides across to lock the two parts together. It can't be seen unless you go looking for it. I'm going to try to come up with something else so that area can be used for something else. Maybe gun storage or ????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	325125  
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Thanks for the info and the pic. I was going to do something similar in cutting off the top where it attaches to the ceiling. I wanted to preserve the nice rounded corners on the two bottom edges and not have mess with trying to match stain. I like how you coped the back side too. I might have to give that a try. Maybe. How did you get the coped pattern? If I may ask.
Thanks. I just made a cardboard template, traced onto masking tape and then cut slowly with jigsaw finish blade. Masking tape kept the veneer from splintering. The hardest part was finding thick brown felt to pad the cabinet sides.

Tags
upgrade