RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to remove and recover window sconces?

Hi -- Our bathroom commode window sconce fabric is stained in our New-to-us Coach (04 Diplomat). I believe water may have come in through the ceiling fan. We are having fun personalizing our Coach and getting ready for our first get-a-way.

I have found fabric that I like so much that I would like to re-do all of the Sconces. Problem is Hubby can't see how to get the sconces off to see if it is actually something that I can do myself. Do we need to take the shades down first?

He got some of the screws out but can't see how to remove the rest - wrong tools, wrong technique? We are not really adept at these Homemaker tasks, but thought it would be fun to give this a try as I was in a hurry. And, I thought it might not be too hard to simply replace the fabric.

Grateful for any tips on the removal. And, does anyone know if the fabric is stapled, or glued on?
Montana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #2

Hi This is a great project that is not hard and really changes the looks. I assume that you are referring to the window valances across the top and the sails that are vertical on each side of the window? If so I think I can help as we did this on two units. The vertical sails will have an angle bracket near the bottom with a screw. That part is easy. The top valance will probably be resting on a wood bracket all the way across the top of the window. There will be screws through the wood brace into the valance. You will need an extended driver in your cordless drill to reach these probably and you might have to scrunch the shade around a little to see them. Once all screws are out the whole assembly will come off. The material will probably be stapled on. An electric stapler will help. You don't necessarily need to remove old material unless it is moldy or something like that. Experiment wrapping the new material around the pieces to get the look you want. If you are starting on bare wood you will want to use foam or cotton batting to achieve the padded dimensional look. You can also go to an automotive trim shop with some of your material and have some fabric covered snap on buttons made to match. These will also give you some dimensional depth. Hope this helps. You will like the results and the feeling of achievement.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Aha! Hubby got the sconce off but we assumed the small panels attached to the front of the sconces would just screw off -- but he removed the screws and the panels look like they are also stapled on from the front Now what? yikes may need to visit the upholsterer for this little project.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ours has L brackets everywhere. Tho top ones are hard to get at. They do come off with just a few philips screws.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We did it! Thank you for your information. Once we got it unscrewed from the wall and got brave enough to take it apart, it was easy, and fun just as you said. Now we are looking forward to doing the rest. It makes such a nice change. Will post a photo soon as we get the job done - if I can figure out how to posta photo that is. Ha!

Tags
window