Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to remove the old convection/microwave

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. How do you remove the old convection/microwave from the cabinet? Again, thank you.
cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #2

There are probably a few posts on here regarding that if you do a search with more detailed info but for mine I had to remove the front piece to get at two long screws (over a foot long) that went into the mount on the wall. Some have other screws going into the upper cabinet as well.
It's heavy and ackward so have help or put something under it to hold it up while you take out the screws.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it's a Sharp oven, you get at the long mounting bolts by removing the grease filters on the bottom. You may also have some screws going thru the cabinet above, straight down into the oven top.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Loosening the 2 bolts on the bottom (at a 45 degrees angle) should let you get it off the back plate that supports/ holds it in place.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2004 Monaco the Sharp microwave had the two long diagonal bolts and then two bolts on the top.

I had to remove the stapled in floor of the cabinet above the microwave to get to those bolts. Lovely.

That cabinet floor is now held in by screws.

You need two people to remove it...very heavy and bulky.

Is it a Sharp microwave and what is the problem?

Mine ran 59 seconds and would stop. Very common problem and is solved with a new internal door switch.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Last year, I helped a friend swap out his old microwave. We discovered a screw through the side of the adjoining cabinet frame into the side of the microwave. Some Monacos, apparently have that in addition to the screws above.

It would help you get more specific info if you state the make, year & model of your coach. Many have that in their signature line.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Good evening:
Thank you for your post and information. You are correct that I should include my coach information. I shall do that in my future post.
Again, thank you.
My best,
Cindy
2000 Monaco Diplomat
cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never replace our microwave but I understand they are VERY heavy! Be careful !
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Taking out the old Sharp Convection Microwave Unit

Thank you in advance for your assistance and suggestions.

We are trying to remove the original Sharp convection microwave (CM) unit from the cabinet of my '00 Monaco Diplomat. We have loosened the 2 diagonal screws underneath the CM but the CM is still firm in staying in its original place. Above the CM is the top of the large slide that has about 4" between the wooden cabinet floor to the top of the wooden cabinet. Our questions is, do we need to remove the overhead wooden cabinet to locate screws that could be screwed into the top of the CM?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Stay safe!
Cindy
'00 Monaco Diplomat
Old 08-06-2020, 06:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Take the top grill out, get a flashlight & see if you can see any screws thru the top or sides of the case -- I`ve seen screws thru the sides -- Never know how the "tech" installed the unit -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
They are heavy, but it`s easier to do it by yourself -- Not enough room for two -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdisney View Post
Thank you in advance for your assistance and suggestions.

We are trying to remove the original Sharp convection microwave (CM) unit from the cabinet of my '00 Monaco Diplomat. We have loosened the 2 diagonal screws underneath the CM but the CM is still firm in staying in its original place. Above the CM is the top of the large slide that has about 4" between the wooden cabinet floor to the top of the wooden cabinet. Our questions is, do we need to remove the overhead wooden cabinet to locate screws that could be screwed into the top of the CM?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Stay safe!
Cindy
'00 Monaco Diplomat
Cindy, if it's like mine, the short cabinet above the oven has a raised floor, with 4 screws in the corners. These screws are hard to see in that carpet material. It can be easier to feel for them. Once they are out, that floor lifts out. you may have 2 or 3 larger screws on the front edge, running straight down into the oven.

Other Monaco owners have found screws going in through the sides, instead of the top.
Put some pillows down to lower the front of the oven onto, then lift the back 1/2" and pull away. It's about 70lbs, not too bad if your strong.

Good luck!!
Old 08-08-2020, 09:05 AM   #13
YC1

I am in the process of changing ours out. Looking at the old one sitting on a stool now. It needed a rest. Twelve years on it and half of that full timing. It has been a great unit.

When you get a new one be sure you look at how the door opens. Ours has the refer on the left so a door that does not accommodate that will not work. Spent a lot of time trying to find a new one to fit. Opening the door to the left needs a couple of inches extra.

Now for the great news. They are still available although the lead time is terrible. A week is the best I could come up with for just about any microwave. Nothing in stock anywhere it seems.

Getting the exact replacement will really make things easier although I would like to have found a larger capacity one.

To take our Sharp R1880 out, (model just inside the door), Remove the metal filters on the bottom and look for a large brass looking bolt/screw. A nutdriver will release one on each side.

As mentioned, it didn't want to tilt forward much so more investigation found three small wood screws going through the sides (from the inside of the microwave), on each side of the oven. So 6 wood screws and the two (captive), long bolts/screws were all that was needed.

It is heavy but doable. Now for a trick my buddy taught me. Cover the stove with a towel and then a piece of plywood. Then use a small floor jack to lift the oven just enough to clear the back lip. Carefully pull it out.

It is not as heavy as I thought but awkward because you have to reach to the back of the wall thus extending yourself.

I had ours out many years ago to change the vent to the back side versus the top.

If you have a fixed cabinet over yours you may not be able to lift it straight up to clear the rear lip and have to just tilt it forward and the lift.

We have a small L shaped piece over ours that is used as a spice rack and I made sure it would come out easily when I modified the vent setup.

If you are patient I should be posting pictures later. At least seeing the back mounting plate would be helpful.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:33 PM   #14

In my rig, there were bolts that were under the shelf liner in the upper cabinet. There was a also bracket screwed to the wall with a small lip along the back. My $39 Walmart mini floor jack was invaluable for lowering the old one down, and raising the new one into place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MicrowaveSwap.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	296477  
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave