Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a large (10kw) diesel genny in the front and 6 (2-12v, 4-6v) batteries in a bay behind the tag axle. I also have two more 6v in the engine bay. But the point is, on my 42' coach, that is a long way to push 12v to crank a large diesel genny. If the coach has been sitting in storage for more than 3 weeks, I will have to use the boost switch to start the genny. Hold the button down for 5-seconds then the genny will start. I should probably check all of the connections to improve the starting ability but at least at the battery ends I coated all of the terminals when I replaced all 8 batteries last fall so they should be good.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
Remember when pushing the "Battery Boost" switch, it may take 10 minutes of holding it down before it will have the power to crank. Just like waiting a little while after hooking up jumper cables. On my Monaco, I know the battery boost switch "flows" both ways as I have killed both sets at one time or the other.
Why would they only use a 'momentary' switch if it needs to be held for 10 minutes? A timed switch would be better. EXCEPT I don't think it's meant to be used for 10 minutes at a time. If you don't get results right away, then things are too discharged or bad connections for current to flow.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
In most cases the engine alternator also charges the house batteries. Start the engine and in a few minutes there should be enough power to start the genny.
I used that method successfully one time when I forgot to hit the battery disconnect switch at the storage lot.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Put a autostart on the generator and you will have no more problems.

You shouldn't let the batteries get that low to start with.
Shortens the life of them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Put a autostart on the generator and you will have no more problems.

You shouldn't let the batteries get that low to start with.
Shortens the life of them.
That is a great idea. Is it easy to install? I could see a small problem if camping where quiet times are enforced. I was recently camped at one of those and ran my batts down over night running a couple fans. If my genny cranked up late at night, there would have been some complaints. I suppose it could be set not to come on.

I carry one of those portable starter batteries, and used it to start the genny.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
That is a great idea. Is it easy to install? I could see a small problem if camping where quiet times are enforced. I was recently camped at one of those and ran my batts down over night running a couple fans. If my genny cranked up late at night, there would have been some complaints. I suppose it could be set not to come on.

I carry one of those portable starter batteries, and used it to start the genny.
Most AGS can be programmed for "Quiet Time". As well as to cut on if you get too hot inside (assuming the air conditioner is on!). Good if you have pets and loose campground power while away.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

You have obviously had success holding the solenoid in for an extended period. I would be afraid to do that in my "old" rig for fear of frying the solenoid.
I recently had to use the connector button to start my coach due to a bad chassis battery. Had to do this 2 or 3 times until I got the battery changed. Each time I did it, the results were instant which makes me think there is a "hard wire" connection, at least in that direction.
Brockx,

That solenoid is a "continuous duty'. It's the same one (physically) used when the engine is running to connect the chassis and coach batts to charge the coach batts. Since you drive for hours on end, holding it in for a few mins certainly isn't going to hurt anything.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #22

Larry: I use a little Harbor Freight type portable battery booster. I have run that out to the battery pack several times before I upgraded and the result was excellent. It was a nice $40 protection against not getting my generator started.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator