Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

How to treat engine when docked for extended stay

Hello all

My wife and I have started our full time journey. I have a 2006 40ft Monaco with a 400 Cummins engine with 55,000 miles. I just had it fully serviced (Engine , Trans & Generator). We are staying in one spot for one yera until my wife retires from Children's Hospital in Oakland, CA

My question is how do I treat my engine & Generator. I'm planning on running the generator about two hours at a time every two weeks. (how does that sound?)

Running the engine is another story....I'm at a loss. How often do I run it while docked and how often. We intend to take two trips over the next year but the will be one week in duration. Any suggestions on how often I should run the engine at an idle? Thanks in advance for you help.
raphaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Just like the generator, the drive engine needs to be worked every so often, let's call it once a month.
The only way to WORK that engine is to drive the rig.
Starting it and letting it idle to warm up won't do it.
I think you should plan on disconnecting from the campsite once a month or so and going for a drive.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Best thing you can do is take it for a 25 mile spin about once a month to keep all the seals and gaskets from drying out and exercise the generator once a month for two hours under half load or more.. Letting it sit and idle will only build condensation in your exhause system and speed up rusting out.. as with any internal combustion engine..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it were me I would want to take it for a good run every month. Generator use will be fine but I don't think idleing is sufficient for the coach engine and does nothing for the transmission, steering etc.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Once you're parked JUST LET THE MOTOR SLEEP. Those of us that life in the frozen north have been just letting the diesel sleep from fall till spring for years. The only need to run the generator is to dry out the generator windings, not exercising the diesel motor. SO just let the Cummins sleep.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
As far as the Cummins motor, JUST LET IT SLEEP the whole time you're parked. As to the generator, running it once a month for an hour or so is more then enough to dry out the generator windings which is the reason for running it, not exercising the motor portion. Those of us living up in the frozen north have been letting our diesels sleep from Nov til Apr for years, as this is the procedure for diesels. Once turned off LET THEM SLEEP IN PEACE.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Just like the generator, the drive engine needs to be worked every so often, let's call it once a month.
The only way to WORK that engine is to drive the rig.
Starting it and letting it idle to warm up won't do it.
I think you should plan on disconnecting from the campsite once a month or so and going for a drive.
I agree, and 1 hour per month on the genny under 1/2 load or more should be enough!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Agree with running genset monthly for 1 hr. under load. At a Spartan seminar they recommended at least drive 10 feet forward and 10 feet back if you can't drive it 25 miles for the seals and bearings once a month. Just starting engine doesn't do much.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Best practice would be to disconnect and drive it 30 minutes. While idling will help the engine peripherals, hydraulic pump, air compressor, etc. its not good for the engine. You will find fuel dilution in the oil goes up from idling. No matter what you decide make sure you keep the fuel topped off and use an algecide.

On edit: You will find your batteries still need maintenance for water and other corrosion. You likely have air leveling which requires no maintenance, however if also have jacks they may have lubrication requirements, too. Slide toppers, and the hydraulic system for the slides, too.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

In my Onan manual it says to run for 2 hours under load every month. Before I read it, I was in the 1 hour camp, but now do what Onan recommends. Onan 7.5kw diesel. The engine, if not run for at least an hour at operating temp, (not idle), then just let it be until you need it.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine