RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My sig coach has a hard roof (not rubber) and I am not sure if it is fiberglass or aluminum. It seems to me that the sides are all aluminum and I suspect the roof is as well. Can anyone on this forum tell me for sure?

My reason for asking is because I want to remove the oxidation and wax it with a good past wax in hopes of preventing the black streaks that appear on my side walls.

Some of the products I have looked at are specific to fiberclass or painted aluminum with regards to removing oxidation. I do not want to use something too abrasive and remove the paint or the gel coat. What would you recommend?

Thanks.

'19 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 F53 #26K
'17 Lincoln MKZ towed by BlueOx
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My sig coach has a hard roof (not rubber) and I am not sure if it is fiberglass or aluminum. It seems to me that the sides are all aluminum and I suspect the roof is as well. Can anyone on this forum tell me for sure?

My reason for asking is because I want to remove the oxidation and wax it with a good past wax in hopes of preventing the black streaks that appear on my side walls.

Some of the products I have looked at are specific to fiberclass or painted aluminum with regards to removing oxidation. I do not want to use something too abrasive and remove the paint or the gel coat. What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I want to get this link to your coach before I lose Internet again... but the info should be there!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
The Specifications on the left side states Aluminum ....

Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
MonacoMama.......I think its time you get a MotoSat unit for internet.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MonacoMama.......I think its time you get a MotoSat unit for internet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OK...well, Ronboc said ya'll should take up donations for Internet... I say...ya'll can start a "Motosat fund for Mama" instead!
PS...we saw a Monaco pull in yesterday with your colors...Sacs is now sure I have been "powerwalking" over to meet you!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
GW -

If you wax the roof, please be careful... it's a lonnnnng ways from the roof to the ground if it's slippery!

Awhile back, I got mad at my batwing tv-antenna because I broke off the inside handle trying to turn it. So I got up on the roof with my trusty can of spray-silicone and liberally (an understatement!) doused all moving or semi-moving parts. It started raining and chased me off, so I went back up there later to apply more lube. The moisture had washed the silicone all over a good bit of the roof and it was the devil to even get near the antenna without looking like I was trying out for a skating medal.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks guys. It is definitely aluminum with fiberglass end nose and end caps. I spent this morning washing it with Gel Gloss wash and wax which was a good start, but will begin rubbing it out with the Gel Gloss Cleaner and Wax (with Carnuba) tomorrow. The Cleaner and Wax is supposed to remove the oxidation and apply the wax in the same motion. I will use a buffing machine and see how that works and let you know.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update: Gel Gloss Cleaner and Wax works very well. I used an 8" wax on and buff off machine and it was painless. The entire roof shines like a new car and I spent a total of two hours on it. There are still some areas where the color looks to be lightly splattered with grey spots that might be oxidation, but the shine is undeniable. I am going to do another coat because this was so easy and it really did not take as much wax as I thought it would. Another plus is that I didn't fall off the roof even once(although there were some close calls).
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #10

Did you find that it solved the problem with black streaks down the sides with rain/water run off?? dp

Dave Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote