RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

HR Endevor 2005

We own a 2005 HR Endeavor and we have had the front drivers split window come apart 3 times on us. The last time they pulled it out reset the window and told me the only way it would come out again is if it broke. Well almost one year later to the date it happened again.

The last glass company told me that I might need body work to fix the problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarge55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is this the windshield or the drivers side window???
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

Yes it is the drivers side
Old 07-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What is coming apart on it???

I removed my drivers side window a year ago to fix the fogged sliding window. The window frame is held together with cross members that screw through the main frame going around the window. The other windows are held in using a heavy rubber seal that presses into the frame.

The window itself is held in the opening with the interior frame with screws going around the perimeter. The compression of putting the 2 pieces together hold the window in place and compresses the seal that is attached to the window frame. My window dis not use any type of caulk seal, a standard ribbed flat seal. After the window is installed it has a small bead of caulk around the exterior frame.

Thinking back on when I took mine apart I don't see how the window could come apart unless the screws are failing. I guess this is possible if your front frame is twisting and putting stress on the entire frame causing the screws to break and the cross members to move.

If you could post some pictures maybe the collective wisdom of the group members could help.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #6

Sorry, not Drivers side window. It is the Drivers side windshield, it keeps popping out in the lower corner. This last time it lasted almost a year before it happened again. I make sure to take corners and bumps slow because the installer warned me about how the rig is always shifting and that may cause the window to shift.

I am at the point to just get rid of it, but if it is a common occurrence in class A rigs then it would be a waste of all the money I have put into upgrading the one I have.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Do some searches on IRV2, there are posts on this happening. More common on a full windshield. In some cases the opening has to be reinforced to keep it from flexing.

If the windshield is not broken it can be reset.

In 2009 we went to Alaska and returned with a broken windshield. We contacted insurance and they replaced. The contracted with Duncan Systems but Duncan subcontracted the work with a local company.

The first long trip after this ~10 months later we were parked and I noticed that the passenger side lower corner had shifted to where it pulled out of the gasket. We were in Florida and Duncan has a warehouse and repair facility near Tampa. I contacted them and they agreed to reseat the window. I drove it to there sight and they pulled the window, cleaned up the gasket and reset the window. I asked the repairmen what caused this to happen and they said the first repair didn't use enough caulk and it just pulled loose.

It's been ~+5 years and the window is still in the gasket. I do notice that the gasket moves some but it the window hasn't moved in the gasket.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #8

My windshield is identical to yours. Lost the drivers side windshield last year (rock on I-70). Duncan systems provided a replacement and a local company installed. Duncan provided two tubes of urethane for the installation. First trip out the windshield shifted.

Had the local company come in and reset it in the seal. They had put a bead of urethane around the windshield when they first installed but it did not bond to the glass well. Cleaned their work off myself and put the bead of urethane on again after priming with a urethane primer.

The key area is on BOTH sides of the center divider. I thought the divider was structural. Turns out it is only a rubber strip to allow flexing of the windshield and if both sides are not bonded to the strip it will let the windshield flex to the center.

Have run approximately 7,000 miles without additional shifting.

IMHO you are dealing with a poor installation, not a structural problem.

Good Luck
Old 07-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #9

Check the flex of the front cap under the windshield, on my previous coach , I had windshield popping and cracking on numerous occasion, determined that the front lower cap was flexing, added L brackets between the frame and cap, issue resolved, never had another problem.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Rjburian
How were the L brackets added and where. Did you do this or did a shop do it?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #11

There are existing brackets near the wiper motors and the center of the lower cap, the screws are probably loose, and cannot be tighten do to worn holes, move the brackets to secure with new screws. I also added additional brackets, I believe a total of 5 . This was on my previous 2000 diplomat, so I can,t post pictures, There is another member who posted pictures several years ago, try to search, I,ll try also.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Thank for the Help

Called my insurance and they sent me through Duncan systems going to replace both windows and reset! I will make sure to ask the installer about the brackets and make sure he uses the right glue. I will keep everyone posted and Thanks for all of your helpful insight.

Jim