RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

HR Imperial will not start

ISL 400hp in a 2006 Imperial. I am stumped but here is what I do know.

1. The starter and solenoid are good. I can jump the solenoid and it turns over.
2. There is no 12 volt signal to the solenoid when the key is turned to 'start'.
3. There is 12 volt on a brown wire when the ignition is turned to 'start'.
4. I am getting a "Check Engine" with the key left in the "On" position.
5. The Allison selector pad is not lighting up with the key on.
6. All gauges seem to be functioning normally.
7. I cannot find any blown fuses in the run bay or big boy box.

I just started the engine from the starter solenoid.
1. The "Check Engine" light is definitely on.
2. There is no transmission pad lights and the transmission temperature gauge is slowly sweeping min to max, with 2-3 second delays between sweeps.
3. The ABS light is on
I shut it down. It will not restart.

The engine has not run for about a week. The only thing I did before attempting to start it was adjusting the level sensor for the HWH system which is in the bay ceiling near the ECM for the engine. I looked around but I don't see any signs I might have done something to have caused the problem.

Perhaps the ECM is failing but without schematics or ability to scan, I am at a great disadvantage. Does anyone have any suggestions besides call a tow truck?

StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #2

Look for a power wire on the ECM, heading towards the battery area. Been reading about inline fuses near the batteries that come apart.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

If your HR is like my Monaco check the outside electrical bay under drivers window, there should be a 80 amp continuous duty solenoid, looks like the old ford starter solenoids, check for power in and out, I think that is where you will find the other end of your brown wire, you can also jumper a wire across the two large terminals. Replacement solenoids can be purchased at Napa Auto Parts.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

Hi StuartT; Someone here had a post this month about no power to the Allision key pad. I read so many posts that sometime I can't recall all the details. Think it was on a Signature or Executive, but the problem was an inline fuse stuck back in the harness from the positive post of the starting battery. Those coaches have the 2 starting batteries in the engine compartment and the op had to remove one of the batteries to find where the harness led to, inturn finding the inline fuse that was bad. After replacing the fuse, all was well and the coach started. I don't know that if you use the search at the top right of this page you can find the post and fix by the op. From what has been written, you get all sorts of starting and engine will not run if the key pad does not have power. Must be electronic interlocks. Hope some of this info helps you avoid a tow. You might try checking around for a good mobile chassis tech. Should be one in the area you are in. Let us know the end results when you get it fixed. Good luck! Also check that the connections on the bottom of the keypad are tight.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Have you checked the mechanics safety switch back in the engine compartment?
I accidentally hit mine in my motorhome and nothing up front worked. Spent 3hours trouble shooting to no avail before finally reading the owners manual again to find it
ESPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #6

Outbound, I checked. No solenoids in my run bay.

ESPO, if you mean the FWD/REAR start controls in the rear run bay, I did check those as I was trying to start from the engine compartment. No Joy.

Oilbuner, howdy. What you are talking about is along the same lines suggested by twinboat and may be a real possibility. I just completed a more detailed look into the possibilities and if I wait for the self diagnostics to complete, I get a "Transmission Communication Error" message. I took the ceiling down in the bay where I was working on the HWH leveling adjustment and found the Allison ECM, but could find nothing suggesting I bothered anything in the area.

It's getting dark now but tomorrow morning I am going to search for that fuse. I did pull out the battery drawer and look, but did not see anything. Tomorrow I will pull the batteries if I need to. This smacks of a problem I had years ago with a 1992 Dynasty which blew a 10 amp fuse next to the batteries. In that case the symptom was being reduced to limp home mode, but the memory of the fuse still sticks. I'll report back.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

Hi again StuartT; I also had a problem with my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor. This should not be your problem as you have been in the dry climate for a while. I had a problem with water getting into the harness connection that goes from the frame to the Allison transmission. If things have not changed over the years in coach production, there is a screw together multi-pin connector from the frame to the Allison. When water got into that connection which was low enough to get water spray on it, I had all sorts of run problems. Only reason I mention this is your post about the commutation error. It might just be a connection somewhere in the rolling earthquake the we drive. I know this is a one at a time process and thought I would let you know my thoughts. Again, keep us posted.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #8

Okay, problem solved. I never would have guess this one.

I was crawling under the coach, around in the engine compartment, pulling the ceiling out of one of the cargo bays, inspecting every possible fuse in the forward run bay, same in the rear run bay, under the dash with a 12v tester light, pulling the inspection panel in the top of the dash looking for wiring issues, and then.............................. I went out to start the BBQ. It was getting dark so I turned on the entry light as I went down the stairs. No light! I flipped the inside entry lights. Nothing. Then I flipped up the salesman switch (House battery disconnect). All the lights I had asked for came on.

Nahhh, say it couldn't be! I tiptoed up to the drivers seat, looked incredulously at the starter key, and with a smirk on my face, I turned the key to start. DAMN!, the engine sprang to life. I couldn't believe it. Turns out the DW has accidentally pushed all the entry switches looking for the step switch.

I always thought all the running functions - engine, transmission, etc. - were associated with the chassis batteries, the rest with the house batteries. I am not sure once again I agree with all of Monaco's electrical decisions, and this is a pretty good example, but more importantly I have another example under my belt to not get carried away before I exhaust all the simple possibilities.

Thanks for your participation in my dilemma guys.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

Are you going to keep your DW?
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Are you going to keep your DW?
She is scheduled for Kangaroo Court tomorrow at high noon to answer for her indiscretions. Afterall, she had the audacity to laugh when I explained the cause of the hell I went through. Fitting suggestions for her punishment be welcome.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #11

Good evening again Stuart; Well, that one blows me away. I have never heard or read or seen, until now, that any of the chassis power or functions were connected over to the house side! I have always had a sneaking suspicion of certain, and just kidding, of what was handed out on certain days of boring electrical engineering sessions, but this one takes the CAKE! I would love to see the drawings for the wiring on your Imperial. Glad you did not need to call a tech. or get a tow to a shop. Don't be too hard on your wife. Maybe this was a test of your coach knowledge and trouble shooting skills! You get an A+ as now we know what to look for on H.R. products. Have a great rest of the week and Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good evening again Stuart; Well, that one blows me away. I have never heard or read or seen, until now, that any of the chassis power or functions were connected over to the house side! I have always had a sneaking suspicion of certain, and just kidding, of what was handed out on certain days of boring electrical engineering sessions, but this one takes the CAKE! I would love to see the drawings for the wiring on your Imperial. Glad you did not need to call a tech. or get a tow to a shop. Don't be too hard on your wife. Maybe this was a test of your coach knowledge and trouble shooting skills! You get an A+ as now we know what to look for on H.R. products. Have a great rest of the week and Happy New Year!
Yeah, this one was a duzzie. I will probably try and trace the routing of some key wiring connections in the Rear Run Bay and see if someone might have done some 'home style' wiring. I can't believe the factory sent it out this way (but I could be wrong).

If I can't find the problem, I will wire around the salesman solenoid and completely disable it.

Happy New Year to you as well, and to all our friends out there.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

Bypassing the salesman switch if a fix but if the house batteries run down low, if boondocking, you may have a no start situation again.

I would concentrate on getting the chassis systems on the chassis battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I was the one posting about the same symptoms on my Exec in June of this year. I am in no way disputing your results, but I had an experience not unlike yours, in that my problem mysteriously went away ....for a while. The lack of power to my trans control pad was in fact creating the no start. It came back on like yours, but eventually failed. I was an intermittent problem with the fuse holder located in the battery bay that feeds power to TCM. I am writing this only so that if it turns out not to be the salesman switch, I would start there. I hope your problem really was your SS, but I can't imagine that your SS would cause a no-start, especially if your dash gauges and engine diagnostics came on with the key.

kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote