Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #15

Vito,

Thanks for jumping in. All of your information is greatly appreciated! While I am not intimately familiar with all of the interworkings of my coach, I am very knowledgeable about electricity and in general, the coach's operation with the 12v and 120-v systems.

Background-
Yes, I have an upgraded Miele washer (only) in the place of the older Splendid Combo unit that was there. I have used it many, many times over the last year, with no issues. The breaker never tripped but when I used the washer, the rear A/C did turn off while the washer was operating (Load sharing working as designed). A/C would start back up when the washer completed. I have used a "Kill-O-Watt" meter to check the current drawn and this high end washer has never drawn more than 13.8 amps on the device in any cycle mode. All of my A/C units were replaced in early 2021 with the newest Penguins and they are working great.

Here's what I have done to isolate the problem:

1- Turn off the 3rd MBR A/C completely and run the washer. 20 amp breaker trips within 45 secs with only 6.2 amps showing on the meter at the washer.
2- Unplug the Meile washer and turn on the A/C unit; same 45 secs or so, the breaker trips. I do not have a Kill-O-Watt device hardwired to the rear A/C.
3- I plugged the washer into an appliance extension cord and plugged that into another outlet on the other side of the bus and it works flawlessly for multiple cycles.
4- I "hot-wired" the new A/C unit directly to the panel and it runs fine without tripping the breaker (I just can't keep the Romex draped over the bed, lol).
5- I have purchased the 00-00714-000 as called out in my wiring schematic and I'm ready to swap it out. I just can't find it!

Again, THANK YOU for the awesome info. Every tidbit helps! Once I do find it, I will certainly come back and post where mine was hidden in the 45' PBQ layout.
thegrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
thegrinch-

I understand from your post that you checked inside the 50A breaker box. But, did you pull that entire box out of it’s hole, then look in the hole? As I said, Monaco was known to stuff 120V devices into that hole. You never see them, with the breaker box in the way.

Anyhow, that’s all I can offer for help. I’ll crawl back in my hole now… it is kinda crowded in here, but at least no unidentified electrical components are nearby. ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #17

So, no I have not pulled the entire breaker box out of the mounted area to peek behind it. I am up for anything at this point. I may see if my snake camera can sneak me a look back there because that does make sense. I have followed the Romex out of the 20amp breaker and it exits the 50amp box and goes into the ceiling and disappears. Weird that it would go into the ceiling and then back down instead of straight back. Also, I'm not sure why the wiring schematic doesn't list that as a possible location? (I have the entire complete set of drawings in hand). But I'm game to try it! The other (4) locations listed have not netted me anything so far.

I may not be able to remove that 50amp box for a few days but I will take the advice and check it out!
Old 09-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. I don't think your washer load share relay is in the closet. I think it's somewhere near or behind the circuit breaker load center, or maybe behind the dryer.

Did you have the dryer out when you replaced the washer?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #19

Just this week, I had both the upper Dryer (Miele) out as well as the lower Washer (Miele) to verify it was nowhere behind either of those. Same as at the 50amp panel, the wire comes from the ceiling and goes directly to the receptacle.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinch View Post
4- I "hot-wired" the new A/C unit directly to the panel and it runs fine without tripping the breaker
Did you use the same circuit breaker that has been tripping when you hot wired it? Wondering if the breaker is bad.

How about tracing the wire? I use a tone generator to find wires frequently. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...c=ds&gclsrc=ds

Is your stove electric or gas?
Old 09-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #21

All electric coach. Stove is electric.
Same breaker, does not trip when wired straight.
I have not traced it yet but I can!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
3- "Behind TV"- I assume they mean the Master TV in the slide-out nook where the original CRT TV was placed- No Go for My Coach
I would assume the bedroom TV.

I would think when you find it, there is a wiring connection, wire nut or something that is bad. For the aggravation, a wire tracer would probably solve your problem. I have used one for many years & sometimes cannot believe the direction the installer took. I have discovered melted wire nuts from bad connections in motorhomes, fires in drywall that were extinguished by lack of oxygen in a stick house & solar wires that went in strange directions in my Monaco.

It's probably a good time to "pause" the hole saw usage.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:18 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
This may be the relays you are looking for. These are under the main circuit breaker load center cover on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore power relays.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	343217  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #24

I give up! I've checked everywhere I know to check, traced both wires in both directions (I lose the signal on both of them above my #4 bedroom slide), and checked all the listed places.

I now have a plan to run a new feed 20 amp 12g Romax from the panel to the rear of the washer, then feed the 3rd A/C from the new energy distribution module. Kind of a pain, but a viable solution since I can't find the failed component.

I'll update everyone once I get it done!
Old 09-24-2021, 02:01 AM   #25

Quote:
I give up! I've checked everywhere I know to check, traced both wires in both directions (I lose the signal on both of them above my #4 bedroom slide), and checked all the listed places.
I now have a plan to run a new feed 20 amp 12g Romax from the panel to the rear of the washer, then feed the 3rd A/C from the new energy distribution module. Kind of a pain, but a viable solution since I can't find the failed component.

I'll update everyone once I get it done!

I hope that you will be making up a drawing and parts list to leave behind for the next guy. From years in fleets, municipal, tow, and taxicab, I can attest to the frustration of chasing dead circuits only to find somebody had made their own.

BTW, you said that you lost signal above your #4 slide, sounds like Faraday effect. The wires are passing through an enclosed metal box or tube, blocking the signal from the receiver. IS there anywhere in the area you describe that could possibly be the location of the module? The older these coaches are the more "one off" they were built, and the higher the price tag, the more likely they coach was built as ordered by the original owner.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You may have moved on already with your rewire plan but I wanted to chime in for anyone else looking. I have a 06 navigator 43 PDQ and mine is located below the washer/ dryer. Which is in back closet curbside. I have a small drawer below the w/d if I pull that out I can see it mounted to the wall. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_151728.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	345028Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_151705.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	345029

Tags
electric, electrical, switch