Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2022, 06:53 AM   #1

Hughes autoformers

Does anyone use the hughes autoformer, it boosts low voltage by 10%.

After recently purchasing a membership at a resort in Arizona, we discovered all of the water front power is only 30-amp post. When we plugged in my voltage meter fluctuated all day, sometimes as low as 107.

I started looking into boosters and found the hughes, which is the only one with multiple windings (instead of one) and surge protector.

Just trying to get some opinions before forking out several hundred big ones.

Thanks
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2022, 07:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a Hughes but I had to buy one while staying at a campground in the UP of MI about 13 years ago. We still carry it and use it as needed.
If you have fluctuating voltage and low voltage and can't move to a different location you probably don't have a choice. Running low voltage is not good on the appliances, plush it increases the amperage pulled which also hurts if your are trying to get by on a 30 amp circuit.

I have installed a Progressive Surge Protector that also senses voltage and will shut power off it gets too low but does not correct voltage.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:28 AM   #3

I don't have a Hughes. However, Hughes has a reasonably good reputation.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 30a model. Works very well. In the summer when the park gets very low the boost is activated most of the time. Worth the extra cost over a surge protector only and has a replaceable surge card already. I shortened my shore cord so the unit can now be locked in the utility bin.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:20 AM   #5

Thank you for the responses, I purchased the 50A from CW, they had it on sale plus an additional 10% promo code, couldn't pass that up!

We are returning to the resort in a couple weeks, so I'll know for certain if it works. Yesterday I installed a new Samsung fridge and want to protect it, twice the cost of the booster.

Thanks again, safe travels
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We use the Hughes Autoformer and have not had a single low voltage issue when it is in use, while neighbors will see low voltage. The older parks are simply not wired to carry the load from the newer and larger RVs, some with 3 A/C units.

Ours is mounted in the basement and set up so that I can easily hook it up or unhook it. Some parks will say that you cannot use them. It is out of sight and out of mind when it is mounted in the basement. It does no harm to the undersized park distribution system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I've a Hughes Autoformer. Obtained to mitigate the low voltage situations found primarily at 30a sites. Works perfectly. I've it wired into the power bay so always in use.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweedo295 View Post
Thank you for the responses, I purchased the 50A from CW, they had it on sale plus an additional 10% promo code, couldn't pass that up!

We are returning to the resort in a couple weeks, so I'll know for certain if it works. Yesterday I installed a new Samsung fridge and want to protect it, twice the cost of the booster.

Thanks again, safe travels
How much was it?

The main item that gets destroyed by low voltage is your air conditioner. Low voltage causes it to draw too much current and burns out the motor.

Let us know how well the autoformer works. What brand is it?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #9

We have used the Hughes (both the 50a and 30a versions) for many years and it has saved us more than a few times.
Amazon shows it available for a good price. There are two versions, one has the surge protection( has sp in the model number) and the other does not. A good thing about the surge protection version is the surge unit part is replaceable if it goes down protecting your stuff.
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I carry a 50A Hughes autoformer as well.

Only plug it in when I need it. Usually on 30A sites, but do remember needing it once at a 50A site, where just one leg had low voltage.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:08 PM   #11

Cart before the Horse

I'm purchasing the Hughes Autoformer 50 Amp version

For those folks using the Hughes Autoformer and connect an additional surge protector like the Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector 50 Amp.

When you hook up your shore power what order do you install the system?

Method 1
Pedestal - Surge protector - Autoformer

or

Method 2
Pedestal - Autoformer - Surge Protector

I realize both units will provide surge protection, however the Progressive unit protects the coach from voltage drops below 104vAC for 6 seconds or above 132vAC for 3 seconds then De-energizes the unit.

Due to the cost of the Huges unit I'm considering installing the Progressive Industries Surge Protectors first in the electrical string offering voltage distrubance low/hi protection ahead of this Autoformer unit. With the method you would be subject to nuisance De-Energizing for low voltage while providing your rig.

On the flip side this Autoformer is not listed as a voltage buck Autoformer meaning if you see high voltage it will not react or lower the voltage to a normal range. Thus with Method 1 the Progressive Industries Surge Protector would De-Energize above 132vAC. Protecting the Autoformer and everything behind it.

Please share your experience with this unit.

Many thanks

Devoir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hughes autoformer.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	382195  
Old 12-05-2022, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoir View Post
I'm purchasing the Hughes Autoformer 50 Amp version

For those folks using the Hughes Autoformer and connect an additional surge protector like the Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector 50 Amp.

When you hook up your shore power what order do you install the system?

Method 1

Pedestal - Surge protector - Autoformer

or

Method 2

Pedestal - Autoformer - Surge Protector

I realize both units will provide surge protection, however the Progressive unit protects the coach from voltage drops below 104vAC for 6 seconds or above 132vAC for 3 seconds then De-energizes the unit.

Due to the cost of the Huges unit I'm considering installing the Progressive Industries Surge Protectors first in the electrical string offering voltage distrubance low/hi protection ahead of this Autoformer unit. With the method you would be subject to nuisance De-Energizing for low voltage while providing your rig.

On the flip side this Autoformer is not listed as a voltage buck Autoformer meaning if you see high voltage it will not react or lower the voltage to a normal range. Thus with Method 1 the Progressive Industries Surge Protector would De-Energize above 132vAC. Protecting the Autoformer and everything behind it.

Please share your experience with this unit.

Many thanks

Devoir
Autoformer goes first to allow it to boost voltage to the Progressive EMS when low.
If the EMS is first, it will shut down before the Autoformer can boost it to normal levels.

I tend to just use the EMS unless voltage is low. It's heavy...
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:36 AM   #13
Community Moderator

I agree, autoformer goes first, then EMS second.

There can be a problem if the voltage at pedestal is already high, as the Hughes will boost voltage about 2% all the time. If this pushes voltage above 132, the EMS will shut down.

Right now I’m using the Hughes because of the physical configuration of the pedestal, it’s so low to the ground, that it’s impossible to plug in the EMS. The cord of the Hughes will plug in, so I’m using it. The voltage at this pedestal is above 120vac which means at the coach I’m seeing between 124-127vac.

Usually I don’t connect the Hughes unless I’m seeing low voltage with the EMS. It stays in the closet.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:41 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't had to use the autoformer yet, but I have one just in case. I bought the mounting bracket and plug assembly to hard wire it to the coach, but I decided not to do that (yet). I keep it in the electrical cord bay. When I need it, I plan to keep it in the bay and bay door locked since it is so expensive. The manual states it needs to be in a vented compartment. I e-mailed Hughes and they confirmed it will be just fine in the electrical compartment and door closed.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote