RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
HWH Air Leveling Question

Hi Guys,

Earlier this year I removed my aux compressor for my HWH air leveling system. It was seized and would not run. I took it apart and got it running and re-installed. It puts out air.

Is it supposed to keep the coach level even when the air tanks have leaked down to no pressure?

Reason I ask is because if the air tanks are empty and I try to level the coach, the compressor runs for a few minutes and then stops but the coach level doesn't change one little bit. I also can't detect that it's pumping air into the air tanks, so I'm not sure where the air is all going that it's pumping when it runs.

If it is supposed to keep the coach level by pumping air directly into the suspension system through the HWH solenoids (which is what the HWH manual diagrams show it is supposed to do), then any ideas on what the problem could be if the pump runs but the air it's pushing isn't going anywhere?

BTW all the solenoids work just fine off of air from the tanks.

Sorry for the long post...your help is appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

Start here and see if yours is listed. They have a great troubleshooting section. HWH Service Manuals

Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

Dashdriver, my aircompressor failed also because it got full of dirt from being under the MH. I found an exact replacement on ebay then built a vented galvenized box to go around it to protect it.

The air compressor does not fill the tanks with air and it is directly tied into the air leveling manifolds and only comes on when the tanks are below 98 psi and when ever pa section of the leveling system receives an up command. It is not designed and will not level the mh from scratch. It is only designed to maintain the level if you have done an auto level. My motohome is stored on a slight incline so the rear is down and if I autolevel the back bags raise up and the front drops down. My system will successfully maintain that level even if the tanks are empty. When the air compressor failed my first indication was my rear was drooping after 3-4 days.

If you want to test the aircompressor activation then pump the brakes to bleed off the air in the tanks to below the 98 psi and go to manual level and give any position an up command and hold that button down. My compressor is not very load and is hard to hear from inside the mh so I have my DW hold the UP button down while I listen outside for the compressor.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Dashdriver, my aircompressor failed also because it got full of dirt from being under the MH. I found an exact replacement on ebay then built a vented galvenized box to go around it to protect it.
Yep, mine now has a vented box around it too!

Quote:
The air compressor does not fill the tanks with air and it is directly tied into the air leveling manifolds and only comes on when the tanks are below 98 psi and when ever pa section of the leveling system receives an up command. It is not designed and will not level the mh from scratch. It is only designed to maintain the level if you have done an auto level. My motohome is stored on a slight incline so the rear is down and if I autolevel the back bags raise up and the front drops down. My system will successfully maintain that level even if the tanks are empty. When the air compressor failed my first indication was my rear was drooping after 3-4 days.
Ok good to know, that may answer my question. I'll auto-level and then leave the system on to see if it stays level. My suspension system is pretty tight. The front leaks down after a few days normally, but the back end will stay inflated for a long time.

Quote:
If you want to test the aircompressor activation then pump the brakes to bleed off the air in the tanks to below the 98 psi and go to manual level and give any position an up command and hold that button down. My compressor is not very load and is hard to hear from inside the mh so I have my DW hold the UP button down while I listen outside for the compressor.
Yup, compressor runs just fine on an up command. Just didn't know if it would maintain level once the tanks are completely empty. My tanks do leak down over a few days. Will try it from an auto-level and see if it works.

Thanks!

Tags
hwh, leveling