Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #1
DaT

HWH Leveling System is over filling my Air Bags with the engine on

The front of my 2004 Monaco Windsor is riding high. I checked my leveling valve and it’s dumping air but the bags are not deflating. I do have a HWH Leveling System and I suspect the problem lyes somewhere in the front HWH manifold. Has anyone experience this problem?
DaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #2

Have a HWH system. It is possible. The raise solenoids are sitting there with incoming air pressure waiting for a 12 volt signal to open. There is a very good troubleshooting manual by HWH that shows drawings and explans the system. Do you have it
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I’m a little confused, If you checked the leveling valve and it is dumping air but the bags are not deflating, you are dumping air from the tank. Are you talking about the ride height valve under the coach or the in cab leveling valve. What happens when you dump air from the leveling system using the in cab control panel? If that dumps air but your coach is riding high I would check the ride height valve under the coach.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaT View Post
The front of my 2004 Monaco Windsor is riding high. I checked my leveling valve and it’s dumping air but the bags are not deflating. I do have a HWH Leveling System and I suspect the problem lyes somewhere in the front HWH manifold. Has anyone experience this problem?
Yes and here is the discussion: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/val...ht-476477.html

Summary was, I had two brand new FleetPride ride height valves which did what you are describing (one at a time) and finally bought a Hadley 450 ride height valve which cured the problem.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had that happen on my Coach. The Travel valves for the front were not opening so the air in the airbags could not exhaust back out through the ride height valve.

Note in the drawing that the air from the tank goes through the Ride Height Valve, then goes through the HWH Travel valves to the air bags. In normal operation (Travel mode) the travel valve is opened and the air just flows back and forth through the HWH manifold leaving the Ride Height valve to control the air bag pressure. However if the travel valves don't open the air is trapped in the air bags regardless of what the Ride Height valve does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-point Air Leveling Manifold diagram.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	291810  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
DaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
I’m a little confused, If you checked the leveling valve and it is dumping air but the bags are not deflating, you are dumping air from the tank. Are you talking about the ride height valve under the coach or the in cab leveling valve. What happens when you dump air from the leveling system using the in cab control panel? If that dumps air but your coach is riding high I would check the ride height valve under the coach.
Sorry for the confusion. Air is dumping out of my Ride Height Valve. It’s dumping air as it should because the arm that controls the valve is pointed down. If I disconnect the linkage from the coach, the arm returns to level and the valve stops dumping air (Works as it should). The problem is, with the Leveling Valve arm pointed down and the valve dumping air, at some point the bags should deflate causing the linkage to return the Leveling arm back to the level position. But the bags are not deflating.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
DaT

On mine, I decided to swap the front to the rear and vise versa. I suspect if the front leveling valve was bad, it would do the same thing in the rear and the valve I moved from the rear to the front would solve the problem I had in the front. But that was not the case. I still had the same problem in the front with the rear valve that was moved to the front. As I kept talking to people, the Leveling Valve kept coming up as my problem. So I went out and purchased a new Hadley 450 Leveling Valve. I installed it, and I still have the same problem.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe the "Rise" solenoid/valve in the HWH is sticking (partially) open so air is filling the bags at the same time the Ride Height valve is trying to dump air. If the air volume going in to the Rise valve is greater than the Ride Height can dump, the bags would stay filled.

You can see in the diagram I posted earlier that the air tank has a direct supply line to the HWH manifold, so the Raise function works when the Travel valve is closed.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Your system must be different than my 2000 was. On mine if the ride height valve arm was pointing down the coach was too low and it was calling for it to add air.
It sounds like countryB and Hypoxia are more familiar with your system than I am so I will let them advise you.
On mine the travel height valve controlled the ride height. The leveling was controlled by a 4 way level mounted to the basement ceiling in the mid coach compartment. I did have a screw come out of that switch once that messed up the leveling.
With the engine off can you dump the airbags from the leveling control in the cab?

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Maybe the "Rise" solenoid/valve in the HWH is sticking (partially) open so air is filling the bags at the same time the Ride Height valve is trying to dump air. If the air volume going in to the Rise valve is greater than the Ride Height can dump, the bags would stay filled.

You can see in the diagram I posted earlier that the air tank has a direct supply line to the HWH manifold, so the Raise function works when the Travel valve is closed.
I installed a shutoff valve to see if the solenoid valve was the problem as that is the only thing that could see that would cause it other than the height control valve. In my case it was the height control but that is the sure way to find out.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
This is the functioning of the most common type Ride Height valve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ride Height Valve.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	291849  
Old 07-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
DaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

I believe this is exactly what is happening!!! After I turned my engine off and went back to the RV 20 minutes later, the left front air bags were deflated (the front right and both sides on the rear were inflated). My dash air gauge showed under 50psi. So my RV was leaning on the front left corner. Any advice as to how I can in-stick a stick or leaking valve in the HWH manifold?
Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would support the frame (blocks between frame and axle H-frame) to a position where you can go under the coach with air bags deflated safely. Then Lower Coach via the HWH lower function so bags are deflated and frame is supported by blocks.

Next remove the linkage on the Ride Height valve so it is centered (no air should be going in or out of valve when it is centered) you can also unscrew the air line coming out of the RHV going to the HWH to be sure the RHV isn't leaking internally and adding air to the air bags. Once you confirm there is no air coming out of the RHV, you will need to reconnect the air line to it. Note that air will come out of that "air line" (if there is any air remaining in the air bags while the HWH is in travel mode). That is normal.

Start the engine to build full air pressure. The HWH system should be in Travel Mode. See if air bags start to inflate (give it 20 or 30 minutes). With the RHV in "center position" and HWH in Travel mode, no air should get to air bags. If they do inflate then air is leaking past the Rise valve(s) (there are two Rise valves. But even if only one valve leaks the air will get to all front air bags because the lines are connected together at the RHV when the Travel Valves are open. If the valve is leaking, your probably better off replacing both together, but you can try to clean and install new o-rings on them.

You can get new valves/solenoids (they're sold as a complete assembly) from HWH directly, or from Northwest RV Supply (where I got mine).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH air manifold pic.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	291918  
Old 07-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #14

Hi DaT; Yes, agree with Mike and others here that there seems to be something wrong with HWH air leveling system. Since I don't have my 2000 Windsor anymore I cannot post a picture of my HWH manifold. On the sides of the HWH manifold on my previous 2000 Windsor there were T-Handles. One on each side. If I remember correctly these T-Handles were to shut off air to the leveling system if there was a problem with the system. There are different models of the HWH air leveling system and as yours being a 2004 I have no idea if your year has the same model as a 2000 Windsor. Just pointing this out as It might not have any useful information to your problem.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air, engine, hwh, leveling, leveling system