Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Unhappy HWH series 2000 - no air to pass side rear bags

Getting ready for a trip. Aired up coach, put in Travel mode and the drivers side (rear) lifts real high but passenger side does not lift at all. I'm not getting any air to the rear pass side air bags.

Looking at service manual - I don't see a clear indication of what could be the cause.
Tests From the HWH control panel:
Dump All - works all air exhausts.
Raise All -- does not fill passenger side rear bags
Raise one side at a time - will not raise passenger side.
Travel mode - will not raise passenger side.

All of the LED lights in the HWH box appear to be normal (lit when should be, off when should be off). Travel mode is going green.

According to the air schematic, the air supply is common to both driver and pass sides. I don't see anything that would prevent air from going to passenger side in multiple modes (manual leveling and travel mode - which are spearete solenoids/valves in the HWH 6-pack).

I wondering if the "20 psi" pressure switch could be the problem. There is one for driver side and one for passenger side. If this switch is reading that there is no pressure in drivers side air bags will it prevent air solenoids from opening (prevent air from going to passenger side) so the frame doesn't twist?

Manual says:
Quote:
Each air manifold is equipped with two 20 P.S.I. pressure
switches. The contacts in these switches will close if the air
pressure in the corresponding bag(s) is 20 P.S.I. or less.
These switches are used as low air warning devices and
also protect the vehicle from twisting while air is being
dumped during manual or automatic leveling. Any time
either front pressure switch is on, a manual or automatic
front lower procedure will cease. Any time either rear (drive
axle) pressure switch is on, a manual or automatic rear lower
procedure will cease. Side lower procedures, either manual
or automatic will not be affected by low air pressure in any
air bag(s).
Lastly, I don't think this is a problem with the ride Height Control Valve or Travel solenoid/valve since the pass side will not air up in "Raise All" which by-passes travel Solenoid and HCH.

I'm going back out to check some more things and rerun my tests. If anyone has any ideas - or had this problem - please post back.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH manifold schematic.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	201647   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH air schematic.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	201648  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
are you sure the linkage on the ride height valves hasn't come loose on the passenger side?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Bill, the linkage looks good.

If the linkage had come loose or the ride height control valve stop working, wouldn't the coach still lift via the HWH leveling mode (auto or manual leveling)?

It looks like the air to bags is provided by two different sources (one source from the Ride Height Valve through the Travel solenoid to air bags, and the other source from air tank directly into HWH valve and through "Raise Solenoid" to airbag.

But the diagram could be wrong too I suppose.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Yea, you're probably right about the linkage.

I re-read your post. I didn't catch that it dumps all bags when you tell it too.

How about tapping your solenoids on the 6 packs and see if one is sticking? Maybe one has failed?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Mike,
Yea, you're probably right about the linkage.

I re-read your post. I didn't catch that it dumps all bags when you tell it too.

How about tapping your solenoids on the 6 packs and see if one is sticking? Maybe one has failed?
I'll try that.
I guess I would have to have "two" failures - the Raise solenoid for Pass side and the Travel valve for pass side. Neither is allowing air to pass. Unless the air diagram in the manual is wrong and there is a single source air supply for rear passenger bags, and that line is pinched or blocked somehow,
Seems unlikely.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #6

Mike
When looking at your diagrams it seems to me that the most likely
place effect both ride height and leveling would be the air line near
the bags themselves , between the 6 pack and the bags .
I don't know but maybe it could be as simple as a loose or pinched
air line feeding those rear pass side bags .
Have you listened for escaping air back there ?

Ray 03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I checked the lines, they are good.

So at this point I ran two 1/4" lines from air rear passenger air bags to the ride height control valve. This puts air in the passenger bags and I drive the coach now.

The drivers side rear air bags (and Tag axle bags) are still going through the HWH valve bank, so I still need to put HWH in Travel mode to air up drivers side.

I'm not sure of the consequences of this "temp repair". I left the air bags lines coming out of HWH valve bank disconnected and not plugged. So if the Travel solenoid was to start working again air would just blow out the lines (like a blown hose). But it is unlikely the problem is going to fix it self.

I wont be able to use the HWH leveling (I have hydraulic leveling too) but I also cant dump air bags as that would only dump drivers side now.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I checked the lines, they are good.

So at this point I ran two 1/4" lines from air rear passenger air bags to the ride height control valve. This puts air in the passenger bags and I drive the coach now.

The drivers side rear air bags (and Tag axle bags) are still going through the HWH valve bank, so I still need to put HWH in Travel mode to air up drivers side

I'm not sure of the consequences of this "temp repair". I left the air bags lines coming out of HWH valve bank disconnected and not plugged. So if the Travel solenoid was to start working again air would just blow out the lines (like a blown hose). But it is unlikely the problem is going to fix it self.

I wont be able to use the HWH leveling (I have hydraulic leveling too) but I also cant dump air bags as that would only dump drivers side now.
Smart idea , very resourceful

Now wouldn't it almost have to be a
solenoid or a case of power not getting
to that solenoid either from the controller or some connection ?
Have you checked the connectors and
wires at the solenoids ?
I suppose when you are stopped for a while you could do some blocking for safety and unplug the solenoids one
at a time then supply 12v to each one,
one at a time to see if they react the same left to right etc .
Old 05-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Spoke with Paul (HWH) today. He said one of the Control Box relays most likely went bad. That is preventing all functions from working for passenger side rear bags.

I'll be sending the Control Box in for repair and then return system to factory setup.

I suppose while the Control Box is out, that would be a good time to remove rear 6-pack valve assemblies and replace all the o-rings and test the solenoids.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #10

That sounds like a great plan to send
the controller in for a rebuild .

I didn't remove the 6 pack instead I chose to not have to undo all the air lines .
I was able to unscrew the solenoids
from the manifold and take them to the bench to rebuild .

You probably already know more about it than I do but just in case and to
help others that may be reading this here is a link with some great pictures .

Foretravel Motorhome technical help and information links

HWH Solenoid Valve Disassemble

There is a also a very good thread here on IRV2 by Mike Canter if you can
locate it .

Ray
Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure you call HWH and get an RMA number for your control box repair. I then mailed it Priority Mail and it was there in 2 days. HWH turned it around in another 2 days, but they send it UPS and it took 5 days for return.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:04 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the tips and advice.
Paul gave me the e-mail address to contact HWH and get authorization and instructions to send in my Control Box. He said they only charge for the parts needed and at most, would never cost more than a reman Box. Turn around time can be up to 3 weeks. That't fine as once we get back from the trip we are starting today (then I will send in box) and we have nothing planned so coach can sit until Box is repaired.

BTW - the windshield cracked from all the frame twisting - so I need to have the replaced too.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:30 AM   #13

Be aware that there are 2 different solenoid valves on the tag be sure you dont get them mixed up. The drive and front valves are all the same.
jimE
bigjim8499 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, hwh