Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #1

Hydraulic Filter(s) for Power Steering

Reviving this subject... my owners manual also identifies a Filter assembly Nelson 91085G*AND a Filter number 84365A.* Servicing recommended*annually or every 15,000 miles.* I've owned the beast for 5,000.* It has 75,000 miles in it.* There is no indication it's ever been changed (specified 15W-40 used as hydraulic fluid, or the filter/s).* Is the "Filter assembly" the housing... the black cylinder pictured below inside the right rear hatch?* Or are there multiple filters inside the black cylinder, as I have seen described in other threads?**

When doing the change, is it best to pump out the chamber, fish out all the filters (assuming there are multiple ones) and then change the filters and refill the housing??* Should I get all the oil out of the hydraulic power steering system?* Does this involve disconnecting lines from the power steering pump (which I would need to locate)? And if so, how do I bleed the air out after refilling? Haven't done this before!

Thanks in advance for the help!*

And by the way, every system, with exception of the transmission, is also getting serviced...*

CUMMINS ISC 8.3 360HP
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_193420.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	346641
pflightnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

Usually there are two or three stacked filters.

You will also want a new top gasket.

Tape a clean trash sack or plastic over the area above the canister so no dirt will fall in.

Wipe off the lid and remove the banjo fitting, then lid.

It is important to remove the fluid before removing the filter or unfiltered/dirty oil will mix with the filtered oil. I just use 6' of clear cheap plastic hose and start a siphon. Sure, if you have a pump, you can use that.

All I have worked on have a large wing nut securing a very large washer that hold the filter stack in place. Remove it and the filters.

Install new filters and fill with oil.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #3

Wolfe10 hit this nail on the head! The only thing I can add is to wipe down the inside of the reservoir to rid it of contaminants once you pump out the oil.

Eventually somebody is going to tell you to disconnect a hydraulic line in front of the coach ( probably the steering box ) to help empty the system - but that is not necessary with the minimal amount of oil in that line.

Once you are staged and really to go, you will find this to be a very simply job.

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've got the larger canister with 3 stacked filters.

I had previously changed the filters, removing most of the oil before pulling the filters and replacing. Did not change the fluid.

This year I changed the oil and filters but I drained the oil by removing one one of the bottom hoses, which is a return line. There is a large suction line that goes to the pump, pulling oil from inside the filters. By removing oil using one of the return lines it will remove any contamination that may be on the outside of the filter. I then removed the filters and tighten the fitting. The filters are elevated off the bottom and the suction fitting is in the middle of it. I then installed the new filters and 4 gallons of steering fluid.

I did inspect the large O-ring that seals the lid and it was fine, no need for me to change, just cleaned it up.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a good look at the fluid that comes out.

They didn't always use what is printed in the owners manual !

Tags
hydraulic, power, steering