Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2022, 10:10 PM   #1

Hydraulic Jacks and Air Bags

Do you level your coach with the hydraulic jacks before the air bags are deflated or level it after the air bags are deflated?
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2022, 10:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitches View Post
Do you level your coach with the hydraulic jacks before the air bags are deflated or level it after the air bags are deflated?
Some people do it either way. Some times I don't even dump, just go straight to level. Other times I dump first, then level. Usually, if I am staying more than a couple of days, I will dump, then level. It's entirely up to you.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my Coach, the air bags automatically dump when you go to hyd leveling (in auto-level mode) so that the hyd jacks don't have to extend as far to reach the ground (as when bags are filled).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:06 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My system is the same as Mike's. Bags dump when I press auto level. However, the bags don't dump as quickly as when I hit the dump switch so I typically dump first and then level. Having a jack stuck down once I'm sensitive about fully extending them.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2001 HR Endeavor with a dash air dump switch; however, when I press the switch nothing happens, meaning the air bags do not seem to dump air. Any idea why the switch does not perform the intended function?
Iceking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceking69 View Post
I have a 2001 HR Endeavor with a dash air dump switch; however, when I press the switch nothing happens, meaning the air bags do not seem to dump air. Any idea why the switch does not perform the intended function?
I had a 2001 Diplomat, sister to your Endeavor and to dump air ignition needs to be in ACC position. Air will dump very slow but be patient and take it to about 60lbs. Good luck, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:03 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Iceking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:20 AM   #8

My Beaver is the same operation as many here, it will slowly dump air (2 minutes) and then hydraulic frame to axle jacks level (nothing touches the ground). I definitely want it to level and raise as little as possible off the ground to do that so it doesn't test the limiting straps and also I like the slammed to ground look.
768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:52 PM   #9

I don't use the auto level, not sure if it even works LOL
So, I don't know if there's an auto air dump.
But there is a manual air dump.
Sometimes I don't dump the air, especially on short stays when I'm already pretty level. Just put the jacks down enough to firm up the coach so it doesn't move when I walk. I have plenty of jack to do this, but it does make the first step a little high.
If I'm docked for a while, I'll manually dump the air down to 60 or so. I don't want the coach all the way down and smashing the bags, but doing this will get the step at a reasonable height.
FWIW My owners manual says to not let the coach sit on fully deflated bags without using the jacks, but says nothing about using the jacks with the bags fully inflated.

Someone earlier in this thread was saying that they don't like to put the jacks down to far because one got sticky once when they did that.
My reaction would be the opposite. I would use the jacks more, and use more extension. Sounds like they just don't get enough exercise.
Unless one leg got bent. But if the legs are straight, use them. The seals, shaft wipers, etc need regular exercise. Might also be time to change out the fluid.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:05 PM   #10

Please any help? Air bags inflate when I hit the down on the jacks just started it’s a 98 American dream
Jameslwhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslwhd1 View Post
Please any help? Air bags inflate when I hit the down on the jacks just started it’s a 98 American dream
Is your engine off and the key in the ACCessory position when you drop the jacks?
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitches View Post
I added a "Air Bags Up" sticker near my slides. This matters. Slides only getted moved if the Air Bags are Up.
As far as the jacks it's just important to pivot on the single front jack if you have only 3 jacks. I personally believe that you are more likely to scrape/bend a jack if it's extended more. On level ground it probably doesn't matter as much.

When dumping air you can hurry the process by pumping the brakes but we all know that because we do the pre-trip inspection regularly

https://familyrvingmag.com/2016/09/0...ng-air-brakes/
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air, hydraulic, hydraulic jacks, jacks