RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Stevepkam Send a message via Yahoo to Stevepkam
Hydraulic Jacks down for 2weeks

We have been in Carson City, Nv for over 2 weeks with the hydrolic jacks down. Weather goes down to teens. Should the hydrolic jacks be raised and lowered every few days or can they stay down keeping coach level?
DW asked yesterday. Thanks for info. This coach is 2011 Monaco Monarch with 4 jacks.
Stevepkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacks

I've never had any reason to have to "exercise" them. That's what they are for. That being said, yesterday was a nice day in the Northeast so I ran my generator and motor(gas) for an hour or so. I also put my jacks up so I could run my transmission through the gears. Everything has been under cover for 2 months now. When I was done, my "Jacks Down" light stayed lit although the jacks were all up. I have come across this before once or twice so I checked the fluid in the hydraulic container and it was a little low. Filled it up with the "proper" fluid and all is well.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My jacks are down between 3 to 6 months at a time and I don't exercise them. However, when the time comes to retract them for the next destination I wipe the cylinders down with ATF fluid to remove the accumulation of dirt and sand so the wiper seals aren't damaged and prevent leaks.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF it is raining days and freezing nights you might want to put a "Spacer" between the jack pad and the ground, (Slab of wood, one lynx leveler block, plastic jack pad, most anything.. That way if you wish to leave in the morning the jack won't be frozen to the ground (A major PITA when it happens).

As to leave them down or up... Down.. If you have power gear jacks there is a lubrication procedure described in the owner's manual (Spray 'em with Silicon lube) And you might do that.. But they can be left down, and the rig level, full time.

If you have other brands of jack, Read The Fine Manual for lubrication directions.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'll leave mine down indefinitely.
I use atf to liube the cylinders once ina while, especially after they have been down a long time.

Oh, and monacos (this is the monaco forum, right?) have powergear jacks.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[
As to leave them down or up... Down.. If you have power gear jacks there is a lubrication procedure described in the owner's manual (Spray 'em with Silicon lube) And you might do that.. But they can be left down, and the rig level, full time.

If you have other brands of jack, Read The Fine Manual for lubrication directions.[/QUOTE]

X2
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks NJS.. Good to have folks support my posts
Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2009 Monaco mfg (Monaco,HR,Safari) Gas models have Lippert Jacks and front Hyd sides - And many Diesels - so checkyour manual.

Mine says lub exposed jack cylinder with silcone and fill with ATF.

I have had them down weeks at a time with no problems with the cylinders.

Now problems with the Pump and slide cylinder that another story - use the search function to see what others have said.

Tags
jacks