Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Hydraulic leveler not completely retracting

I have a 40’ 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP motorhome.
As of late, when I attempt to retract my jacks, the rear driver side jack only retracts about 3” and stops.
This causes the warning light and beeping from the jack console.
I have to place a small floor jack under the pad of the ram and gently jack it up while my wife pushes the “retract jacks” button on the console.
The ram will then fully retract and the warning light and beep will clear and then we can be on our way.
The hydraulic fluid seems to be at full level so I am not sure why there is a problem with the one jack.
roser601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #2

Sounds like you may have a bent ram.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Hi Roser601; Not sure on the H.R. if you have a 3 jack or a 4 jack system. Have you located the T-Handles on the pump manifold and opened that T-Handle for that jack to see if the jack retracts? Also is the ram shaft on the jack itself clean. If you have the owners manual for you system, I think you would have the RVA system, there is a trouble shooting section in that manual. You might have to open and close the T-Handle a couple of times on that jack to see if there is an improvement in the retract function. Or as outbound mentioned you might have a bent jack. Hope this info is helpful!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the input.
I was not aware of the pump manifold t-handle.
I will locate it and try what you suggested.
roser601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jack retracting is very sensitive to fluid level. I know you said your system is full but might it be overfilled? Fluid level should be checked and adjusted only when all jacks are fully retracted. Secondly, greasing and frequent spraying of the jack leg is critical to smooth operation. Finally, correct fluid viscosity also affects operation. Time to get really acquainted with your manual and search the web for an appropriate "Service" manual. Good luck. PS: noticed your coach is an "03. Terminal corrosion may be stealing voltage from your motor and jacks need 12+ volts to operate fully. Check your voltage at the pump, clean all elec terminals, and cleanup your ground wire. A bent shaft is possible but not near as likely as an elec problem..
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

If this is the RVA Manual Jack system, the operations manual states:

"If it is necessary to fill with additional fluid, start by extending any jack 6” from fully retracted position (other jacks should be fully retracted). Unscrew reservoir cap from the top of the pump, fill with fluid until red light and bong turn off, then stop adding fluid and replace the cap."

Safe travels.

Tags
hydraulic