RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

Hydraulic leveling jacks won't pick up coach

02 Monaco Knight 36PST, Cummins ISC 315. 3 point leveling jacks, 1 in front and 2 in the rear. Should the jacks be capable of lifting the coach off the ground? I put the front one down like the book said to do, then tried leveling with the 2 back jacks. The first time, I put the right one down then leveled with the left one, (left side of coach need to be raised), the jack raised the back wheels off the ground and coach was level. Raised all jacks up, ran slides out (3 of them), this time the jacks wouldn't pick the coach up to level it. BTW, book does say to run the slides out before leveling, I am guessing it has something to do with the twisting effect on the body that may throw the slides in a bind. Tell me what you think, this is my first MH of any kind.

rv9apilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 05:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9apilot View Post
02 Monaco Knight 36PST, Cummins ISC 315. 3 point leveling jacks, 1 in front and 2 in the rear. Should the jacks be capable of lifting the coach off the ground? I put the front one down like the book said to do, then tried leveling with the 2 back jacks. The first time, I put the right one down then leveled with the left one, (left side of coach need to be raised), the jack raised the back wheels off the ground and coach was level. Raised all jacks up, ran slides out (3 of them), this time the jacks wouldn't pick the coach up to level it. BTW, book does say to run the slides out before leveling, I am guessing it has something to do with the twisting effect on the body that may throw the slides in a bind. Tell me what you think, this is my first MH of any kind.
rv9apilot,

The jacks have plenty of power to lift the coach but they have limited travel. If you are camping in a location that is not level, it is best to dump all the air from your ping tanks and dump the air bags all the way down until you feel them hit the stops. Now when you use the auto level the jacks will have a better chance of leveling the coach. The front jack is usually the problem because the auto level system will first raise the front of the coach before applying the level algorithm. This is to make sure that the coach pivots on the front jack when the rear jacks move the body side to side. That reduces frame twist and the likely hood that the windshield will pop out. If the front of the coach is lower than the rear due to camp site, this will often prevent the front of the coach from achieving level because of the limited travel of the front jack. Getting the coach all the way down on the air bag stops will often avoid this.

If you don't dump the coach air pressure to 15 pounds or less, the air bags can fill back up while the leveling process is ongoing. As a matter of habit we always dump all the air and put the air bags on the stops before leveling. This keeps the parking brake from releasing if one of the grand kids or the dogs push down on the parking brake and it keeps the steps closer to the ground. A quick way to dump the coach air on a Monaco is to partialy push down on the parking brake until you hear air start to rush. It is not a bad habit to keep the service brake depressed while doing this.

Happy Camping,

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good explanation from Bob. Do not level where the rear wheels are off the ground, that is where the parking brake is located. A slight roll forward with the jacks down can do some serious damage to the jacks.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bob is right on with his comments. The only correction I would make is that you should be able to fully dump the air bags once the main tank pressure gets to about 60 PSI, not the 15 he mentions. (There are protection valves that close at 60 PSI that stop the air flow to the accessories, like the air bags, to leave enough air for the brakes.) However, at 60 PSI, there is still enough air to release the parking brakes, so if you want to take advantage of his tip to prevent brake release, you will need to go below 40 PSI on the main tanks.)

Quote:
Should the jacks be capable of lifting the coach off the ground?
On level ground, there should be enough travel in the jacks to completely lift the coach off of the ground, but it is not recommended to do so. On very unlevel sites, you might run out of jack travel before you are level. If you need to extend the jacks that far, drive the low wheels up onto some blocks to fully support the full width of the tire(s) over their complete contact patch, and then level. The suspension is not meant to dangle up in the air, and as brobox mentions, raising the rear wheels defeats your parking brakes - the jacks are not designed to restrain any sideways force, that's the job of the tires and parking brake.

Quote:
BTW, book does say to run the slides out before leveling, I am guessing it has something to do with the twisting effect on the body that may throw the slides in a bind.
Most manufacturers say to level first, then put out the slides, but as you found in your manual, Monaco says differently. When sitting on the fully aired suspension (as it was one it was built) there should be the least amount of strain on the chassis, and the openings should be square and true. When up on the jacks, there could be some twist in the frame and slide openings, causing problems when moving the slides.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

I thank all for the comments. I had planned on trying to get the MH as close to level as possible with blocks before using the hydraulic jacks, also was going to use big flat pads under the jack feet too. I did think about travel distance of the jacks today and realized I should probably let the air out of the airbags. Anyway, going to Branson, MO this weekend to give the "new to me MH" a shakedown, then a couple trips to the area lakes and parks here then in July Oshkosh for Airventure.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I did think about travel distance of the jacks today and realized I should probably let the air out of the airbags.
Yes, definitely.

The lower you are when you start, the less you will have to raise the coach to get level. The lower you are when you are level, the more stable you will be and you will be less likely to raise a tire off of the ground.

When it's really bad, and I have to put a few blocks under a wheel to keep it from lifting, I will also put some blocks under the low side jack to build it up so it doesn't have to extend so far - the more the jack is extended, the more it can flex and sway. Short extensions give the most stability.

Quote:
also was going to use big flat pads under the jack feet too.
I bought a 4x8 sheet of exterior pressure treated 3/4 inch plywood. I diced it up into 18 squares, 16" on a side. I then took pairs of squares, glued them face to face with construction adhesive and some screws around the outer edges to hold them together. I ended up with 9 pads that are 16" square and 1 1/2" thick. I always use at least one under each jack unless on really solid gravel or concrete, and sometimes use two under a jack if the ground is quite soft. I add more if needed for height. I also use them as pads to drive the tires up onto if needed: I can stack a few up, then place some more in front of it to use as a stepped ramp. Once up on the stack of blocks, I take the ones that formed the "ramp" and use them under the jacks. The 9 blocks handle most situations, there have only been a couple times in 7 years that I wished I had one or two more.

Some people use 2-by scraps of construction lumber. The problem there is that they can split under the load. With the plywood pads, I've seen them start to bend into a mushroom shape on soft ground, but I haven't split one yet. (If they get mushroom shaped, I just put them dome side up the next time I use them, and they flatten right out.)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

I was going to make pads from 2 X 12 scraps sandwiched between plywood
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Raised all jacks up, ran slides out (3 of them), this time the jacks wouldn't pick the coach up to level it.
Is it possible that your hydraulic oil quantity isn't full? Putting the slides out could use some fluid in the rams, diminishing the fluid in the reservoir so that when you deploy the jacks, you run out of fluid before the jacks reach full extension.

Just wondering.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. That's a nice plane you've got.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

777 driver, my slides are not hydraulic. Thanks for the comment, I did build the 9A, been flying now for 8 years. N159MA
Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
777 driver, my slides are not hydraulic. Thanks for the comment, I did build the 9A, been flying now for 8 years. N159MA
Wasn't sure about your slides. My '09 Diplomat has 2 hydraulic and 2 cable.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. I hope you've got somebody driving the Knight to AirVenture so you can fly the 9A.

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks