Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #1

Hydraulic Pump

Wondering if anyone is using this style of hydraulic pump for side radiator and power steering gear box? I think it is a Sauer Danfoss can't find a plate on it anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220927_190925260 (1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	377601  
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
Wondering if anyone is using this style of hydraulic pump for side radiator and power steering gear box? I think it is a Sauer Danfoss can't find a plate on it anywhere.
Yep, just got a reseal kit from Whitehouse in the UK. I lose a little hydraulic fluid, no leaks, it has to be going into the engine through the compressor. Can't say yours is identical, but the tag is on the motor side. I couldn't get clear numbers off it. Mine has both lines on the front, one top and one bottom
B5501-36844-136-160. Price on a new pump was only 560$
Old 09-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #3

Yeah, many of us have that same pump, it is a Sauer Danfoss.
What is the problem with yours?
I bought one from Northwest RV Supply, but I can't tell you the model number. As I recall the number was on top and I couldn't read it without removing it. However, the folks at Northwest have seen it all and can probably ID it from your picture.

https://www.nwrvsupply.com/

I'm pretty sure you won't see it on the web site so call them, that's what I did.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

Name:	IMG_6170.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	996.4 KB
ID:	377604

Coach built May 2007

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like same pump.

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	377605

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the parts page showing the hydraulic pump for my 2002 Windsor.

REV parts has the seal kit in stock $230. https://revrvparts.com/item-detail?i...ganizationId=9

pump is a 4 month backorder item.

Whitehouse Products in the UK might have them. Their numbering sequence is different so it's hard to find, I found it once.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Hyrdrualic Pump.pdf (75.3 KB, 9 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the Whitehouse Product pump
https://www.whitehouseproductsltd.co...-36844-159-160
Old 09-29-2022, 07:45 PM   #8

I called them and they knew which kit I needed and which pump I had
Old 09-30-2022, 08:27 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your help. Here is a little history on my situation. My steering gearbox had started leaking fluid from the output shaft so I decided to replace it. I purchased a new box and got a local 2 man shop whom I have known for a long time to install it simple enough or so I thought. After the install all seemed good we took 2 trips 1 out west about 5000 mile round trip and 1 to the Midwest. On the return trip from the Midwest I pulled in to get fuel and upon leaving the pumps my steering was really hard to turn to the left. I got out and took a quick look to make sure I had plenty of hydraulic fluid and check for any leaks or binding, all was good. I found that once I throttled up and began rolling it would make the turn ok. While going down the highway I couldn't notice any problem whatsoever so we proceeded to continue home about 1000 more miles or so. I only had problems turning left from a stop and at low idle. After returning home my local guy said bring it to him and he would put a pressure gauge on it and troubleshoot. Well he has got some serious health issues now and couldn't do it. So I take it to Fourstar Freightliner 50 miles away and they did the troubleshooting and determined that the system had contamination in it and that the gear box had been adjusted improperly causing damage and it along with the pump needed to be replaced. Sorry I know this is long but I want to give all the details. Fourstar sends me an estimate for over 10,000 dollars with the pump alone almost $5200 and 4 months to get it. After almost having a heart attack, I go up and talk with the shop manager and he now the pump is not leaking and that they recommend replacing it due to the contamination. He said if I didn't want to replace it that they would do a flush on the system and change the gearbox and new fluid and filters and it probably would be ok for just under $3000. The reason for me starting this thread was to find out if anyone had a source for this pump. My thinking I would try and find one at a cheaper price and just hang on to it in case I need it down the road. Now that you guys have supplied the part# I will start contacting some of the sources you have provided. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2022, 09:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting, sorry to hear about your troubles.

I am posting this so others comprehend the possible cause.

Kind of eye opening, contamination in a hydraulic system is probably the main cause of failure on a lot of equipment. Doing field repairs causes most of this due to the dirt that can be introduced into the system by simply changing a hose. Working in industry that used large equipment in a harsh environment we stressed this to the mechanics. Some comprehended but a lot didn't. Ultimately the company paid the price for shoddy work.

If there is contamination to the system it must be bad since the hydraulic filters should have captured it. My Windsor has the large +4 gallon hydraulic reservoir with 3 stacked Nelson filters in it. I would be asking to see those filters to confirm contamination. If the filters are clean it's not a contamination issue.

They should also provide you with flow and pressure test info on the two circuits. The main pump is actually two pumps stacked, it may only be the steering circuit that is bad. This would tell you if you have a complete system failure or only the steering circuit. If you have the correct flow and pressure the pump is good. When I was became manager of the largest mine in the division they changed out components with the aide of having the ability to diagnose problems correctly. One of the first things I did was buy a hydraulic flow/pressure tester, back ~35 years ago this cost ~$4K but worth every penny. Only changed out a pump or other component after it tested bad.

If your pump has failed due to contamination then you fan drive motor and switching valve are also probably trashed since there is no filtering on the pressure side, only the return side of both the steering and the fan cooling stack.

The REV parts page that I posted showed the seal kit in stock but this won't fix your problem if there was contamination, you will have to replace the whole pump. REV didn't show in stock and the price was ~+$3500. So the shop your working with probably got a price from them and added 50% (this is what Cummins does in their shops).
If you can get a pump from Whitehouse that would work but you also need to be concerned about the rest of the components. If your system is contaminated all are probably trashed, JMHO.

If you want to PM for one on one feel free.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #11

Thanks Jim for that info. I have contacted Whitehouse and they asked for a picture to verify we were on the same page with correct pump. I emailed a picture to them and promptly they responded back with picture and price 851 US currency including shipping.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Good to know they have it at a decent price.

Before you have the shop install it I'd make sure the the cooling fan system is not compromised, otherwise you may just trash another pump.

As stated previously, if the pump had failed due to contamination the hydraulic filters must have failed as they protect the suction side of the pump. Contamination should have been caught by the filters.

To completely clean the system the filters need to be changed, the tank completely emptied and cleaned, and new hydraulic fluid added.

The manual describes a procedure to change the filters but IMHO it is wrong. It says to drain enough fluid to remove the bottom filter. But if you do that any contamination stays at the bottom of the tank and there is considerable likely hood it could get introduced into the large pump feed hose at the bottom. To prevent this I think is better to completely drain the fluid, remove the filters, and clean the bottom of the tank. The filters actually are elevated so any debris/trash should stay on the perimeter of the filter base.

~+30 years of working on hydraulic systems makes me cautious when it comes to contamination.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Jim for that info. I have contacted Whitehouse and they asked for a picture to verify we were on the same page with correct pump. I emailed a picture to them and promptly they responded back with picture and price 851 US currency including shipping.
I have also found the pump here in the US for $550 shipped to my door. This guy use to own a rv repair shop in Washington state and had bought up some Monaco parts years ago and he has been getting rid of the last few items.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	377668  
Old 09-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have also found the pump here in the US for $550 shipped to my door. This guy use to own a rv repair shop in Washington state and had bought up some Monaco parts years ago and he has been getting rid of the last few items.

Great find, do you mind sharing the source?

Tags
hydraulic, pump