RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hydraulic system filters

I'm trying to change the hudraulic fan/power steering fluid in my 04 HR Imperial and can't find any reference to the filter part numbers anywhere. The owners manual clearly calls out how to drain and fill the "Nelson" filter reservoir and to change the three 25 micron filters (stacked). Anyone have a number to share?
Thanks,
Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hydraulic filters

I've posted this on two other places to no avail. Can anyone here help?
I'm trying to change the hydraulic fan/power steering fluid in my 04 HR Imperial and can't find any reference to the filter part numbers anywhere. The owners manual clearly calls out how to drain and fill the "Nelson" filter reservoir and to change the three 25 micron filters (stacked). Anyone have a number to share?
Thanks,
Ron

Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.rvchassisparts.com/Rally.asp

Try looking here, this is the Spartan site, if you have the Cummins Engine, I believe the part number for the Nelson Filter is 87610A, look in the chassis hydraulic section and I believe they will have the part. You can call them and verify that is the correct one.

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Read exactly the description of the filter, I believe that 3 is the grade, 25 micron is the size particle it filters and stacked is the style of the filter material, they have discs stacked on top of each other rather than vertical membranes.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #5

Sounds like you are on a Spartan chassis. Why not call Spartan parts directly? Have your VIN handy and they can tell you and even sell you EXACTLY what you need. Their prices a fairly good too.

From Spartan Chassis | Everything's Riding On It.
Recreational Vehicle Customers Only:
Customer Service 800.543.4277 (Option 1)
7:00am - 11:00pm/7 days a week

Coach Net (Emergency Roadside Assistance): 888.890.1741
Available 24/7

Fax 517.543.9264
Service Development:
800.393.8861 (Option 6)

Service Parts:
Service Parts 800.722.3025
Shipping Information 800.722.3025 (Option #5)
Fax 888.879.5671
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The 04 HR Imperial came on a Roadmaster RR8R Chassis with a Cummins ISL 400 HP Engine. The site I listed is Spartans site for parts and they sell parts for both Cat and Cummins Engines and other components of other manufacturers chassis. Many of the components are similar. They can answer your questions using the phone number for Service/Parts provided by RV Dude.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Read exactly the description of the filter, I believe that 3 is the grade, 25 micron is the size particle it filters and stacked is the style of the filter material, they have discs stacked on top of each other rather than vertical membranes.
The picture in the manual clearly shows three separate filters stacked in the canister.
Thanks for the steer to the other site, I need all the help I can get!!
Ron
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Ron

On my 07 Diplomat there is only 1 ten micron filter. The number on this is 84365A and this is in a Nelson 91085G filter assembly.

I bought my replacement filter in a Napa shop (regular carparts) and it was the cheapest filter that I have on my coach - $6 as i recall.

This is a very easy filter replacement since you just take out the filter from the housing. The filter is not attached in any way. Maybe you should just take your filter(s) out and see if you can find a number imprinted?

BTW - my reservoir is filled with 15W-40 motor oil, not hydraulic fluid. That may well make a difference to the filter needed.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi, are you sure yours is filled with the motor oil? I changed mine on a 06 Endeavor and I am sure it has ATF Dex. III in it. I only had I filter in mine also.
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Hi Ron

On my 07 Diplomat there is only 1 ten micron filter. The number on this is 84365A and this is in a Nelson 91085G filter assembly.

I bought my replacement filter in a Napa shop (regular carparts) and it was the cheapest filter that I have on my coach - $6 as i recall.

This is a very easy filter replacement since you just take out the filter from the housing. The filter is not attached in any way. Maybe you should just take your filter(s) out and see if you can find a number imprinted?

BTW - my reservoir is filled with 15W-40 motor oil, not hydraulic fluid. That may well make a difference to the filter needed.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I hope that I am right Bill or I may have done some damage last time I refilled the reservoir.

On page 220 in my manual it reads: "............The reservoir is filled with 15W-40 motor oil from the factory.........." Then follows the filter specifications.

I have a PDF copy of my manual on my private web site. Check it out and look up page 220.

I have to admit that I was baffled also when I first saw the use of motor oil in a hydraulic reservoir but since this was listed so specific I assumed that this was not a mistake.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #11

I am surprised at the 15w-40 too. Which makes it even more clear that before you pull that filter find some printed statement as to what it is filled with first! I've now seen the range from motor oil to ATF (usually Dexron of some number) to AW43/46 hydraulic fluid. Ughh! What's next, water filled?????
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
That is really strange. On page 315 of my Manuel it says it is filled with ATF, Dextron III. Of course yours is a Monaco and mine is a HR. They are supposedly the same coach. Yours is a 07 and mine a 06 but I sure would have thought it the same. I think maybe a call to Monaco is in order.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #13

DANES - I think you might got some trouble. Seems to be a typo in that manual. Yes it says it is filled with 15w-30 at the factory but a couple sentences later it says to add ONLY Dexron III. That sounds like a typo - given I've never seen motor oil in a hydraulic system.

Frankly, I'd pull that motor oil right now and put ATF in it and immediately call the factory - if someone still answers. That is very weird. If you can't get the factory call Nelson and ask them what the ramifications might be.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I hope that I am right Bill or I may have done some damage last time I refilled the reservoir.

On page 220 in my manual it reads: "............The reservoir is filled with 15W-40 motor oil from the factory.........." Then follows the filter specifications.
I have a PDF copy of my manual on my private web site. Check it out and look up page 220. I have to admit that I was baffled also when I first saw the use of motor oil in a hydraulic reservoir but since this was listed so specific I assumed that this was not a mistake.
Hi Henrik,
I also saw this in my manual. I must admit that I have not checked to see what is actually in the canister. But you guys got me wondering, so I did "a google" and came up with a correction to the 2004 Cayman and Dip Manual that states:

"Hydraulic Reservoir
The power steering reservoir with internal filter is located at the rear of the engine. The hydraulic filter
assembly, located inside the reservoir, is rated at ten micron*. The reservoir is filled with Dexron-III®
Automatic Transmission Fluid from the factory.
Filter assembly: Nelson 91085G
Element number: 84365A (ten micron*)"

I would believe this to be the correct info, but the mystery continues.

SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote