Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I don't understand... 8.3 oil pan full @4.5 gal

2002 ISC 8.3

So today I changed my oil. Drained into a 14gal tote. Expected to replace the drain plug with a Femco quick drain (1" M18 T12) Found a smaller M18-1.50.

I figured somewhere in the past the threads were stripped and it had an insert. However....

When I transferred the oil into a 5 gal bucket it only filled it part way. I didn't think she was an oil burner; but then I filled the crankcase. 4.5 gal and she's full!

Rare small pan? Replaced with smaller after original was damaged? Records only show customer supplied oil or service included "up to" 7 gal.

Thoughts? A small pan can't be a good thing....

Glenn

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From memory mine only takes ~19 quarts, I prefill the filter so the rest does fit in the 5 gallon bucket.

You should be able to go into the Cummins Quickserve site and get information on the oil pan size.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #3

I think short pan is 2 " deep is 4".
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
From memory mine only takes ~19 quarts, I prefill the filter so the rest does fit in the 5 gallon bucket.

You should be able to go into the Cummins Quickserve site and get information on the oil pan size.
Ok, that make me feel better! I was thinking the pan would take closer to six with the rest in the filter.Because of what I saw in the bucket I checked the dipstick at 4 gal and saw it was close to full; being 2 qts short.

Haven't done the filter yet.... Lacking the proper filter wrench. From the videos I have seen I think the filter pre-fills with about 3/4's gal.

I'm doing a fresh oil flush with some Kirkland brand 15-40 so reusing the old filter, after draining, for 100 miles or so then dumping and starting out fresh with Delo and new filter. I know it's a waste but the Costco oil was cheap and on sale when I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Thanks! I went out and measured 7" from the lip to the bottom of the pan.

This is my first Diesel so it's a learning experience, Tackling this and replacing the Alt tomorrow..... fun fun fun!
Old 07-19-2021, 12:38 AM   #5

If you download the Cummins QuickServe app you can enter your engine serial number and itíll tell you everything you want to know about your engine. Oil pan high and low level etc..
Tbrownski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I do the same thing, put in about 4 gallons and then add until I get to full mark on the dip stick, hard to make a mistake if you do that.

I had a pretty strong diesel maintenance background before I bought this rig and it is still a challenge to learn and keep up with everything.

The one thing I've learned is that "if in doubt" ask a question.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #7

Contact Cummins with your engine serial number to verify pan and correct oil quantity.

Cummins 800-286-6467
Old 07-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrownski View Post
If you download the Cummins QuickServe app you can enter your engine serial number and itíll tell you everything you want to know about your engine. Oil pan high and low level etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I do the same thing, put in about 4 gallons and then add until I get to full mark on the dip stick, hard to make a mistake if you do that.

I had a pretty strong diesel maintenance background before I bought this rig and it is still a challenge to learn and keep up with everything.

The one thing I've learned is that "if in doubt" ask a question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Contact Cummins with your engine serial number to verify pan and correct oil quantity.

Cummins 800-286-6467

Thanks guys!

Just got off the phone and they tell me 20qt's is high capacity so the 6 1/2 gal I had been reading doesn't apply to my ISC 350 8.3.

The filter (new) took 3qts. and the pan is "just" low by the leftover qt. We'll see where it settles out....

Now that I used the new filter I'll have to "re-think" dumping after 1 or 200 miles OR just stay with the Kirkland/Costco branded oil.

All-n-all I think sneaking up on it is much better than being overfull!

Happy Trails!!!

Glenn
Old 07-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post

I'm doing a fresh oil flush with some Kirkland brand 15-40 so reusing the old filter, after draining, for 100 miles or so then dumping and starting out fresh with Delo and new filter. I know it's a waste but the Costco oil was cheap and on sale when I bought it.

Hmmm. What's the point of that exercise? Generic oil wouldn't be my first choice, but if it meets cummins' required certifications just run it and then use your preference next time.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 08-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
153stars,

I thought the 2" vs 4" pan depth distinction was an Allison transmission thing?

JellyBean,

Although I've never had the 8.3, my sense from years of "foruming" has been that the Cummins spec was "dry" and the actual oil change requirement was usually 20-22 quarts. Lots of reports of shops over-filling over the years (although very few of shops charging for more oil than they actually used).

Good for you in tackling the DIY project. It's your money, of course, but I would not recommend a micro-interval change. Unlike radiators and A/C systems, I've heard of very few who "flush" the engine oil and if they do, it's not likely with fresh oil but a solvent to address contamination as part of a major repair.

I suspect we'll find out somewhere along the line which major brand private labels the Kirkland oil, but it's usually a name brand with them. As was mentioned, as long as it meets/exceeds your needed designation (what are we up to now, "CK"?), it'll likely be fine. If it bothers you over time, schedule the next oil/filter change a bit early.

Although I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, I generally can't stress enough the peace of mind that can be had by doing regular oil sample testing. I've been testing our 2005 (built 2004) engine at every change since 2007, and the consistency of the reports really is remarkable. I also test the generator oil, the transmission fluid (to allow for extended use with Transynd), the engine coolant, and even the differential oil. I use Blackstone Labs, but there are any number of services out there.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #11

Both Allison and Caterpillar 3126 and maybe the C7 offered shallow and deep pans.

On the Caterpillar engines shallow were steel, deep were ribbed aluminum. Safari was one of the few manufacturer who speced deep Caterpillar pans.

Not aware of this on a Cummins. But easy to give Cummins a call with your engine serial number to confirm proper oil quantity for your engine.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #12

Hi JellyBean; I put the same amount Jim does in his 02 Windsor. My ISC in my 01 Windsor takes 19 quarts to the full line, that's including the oil filter. Before I started doing my own changers the only shop that could fill the crankcase with the correct amount was Cummin's. Any other show would overfill by 3 quarts! Interesting, the oil filter holds 3 quarts. Could be a math problem!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcederholm View Post
153stars,

I thought the 2" vs 4" pan depth distinction was an Allison transmission thing?

JellyBean,

Although I've never had the 8.3, my sense from years of "foruming" has been that the Cummins spec was "dry" and the actual oil change requirement was usually 20-22 quarts. Lots of reports of shops over-filling over the years (although very few of shops charging for more oil than they actually used).

Good for you in tackling the DIY project. It's your money, of course, but I would not recommend a micro-interval change. Unlike radiators and A/C systems, I've heard of very few who "flush" the engine oil and if they do, it's not likely with fresh oil but a solvent to address contamination as part of a major repair.

I suspect we'll find out somewhere along the line which major brand private labels the Kirkland oil, but it's usually a name brand with them. As was mentioned, as long as it meets/exceeds your needed designation (what are we up to now, "CK"?), it'll likely be fine. If it bothers you over time, schedule the next oil/filter change a bit early.

Although I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, I generally can't stress enough the peace of mind that can be had by doing regular oil sample testing. I've been testing our 2005 (built 2004) engine at every change since 2007, and the consistency of the reports really is remarkable. I also test the generator oil, the transmission fluid (to allow for extended use with Transynd), the engine coolant, and even the differential oil. I use Blackstone Labs, but there are any number of services out there.
The flush idea went out the window after finding the drain plug had been replaced with an insert. The quick drain from Femco has since been replaced with the "now" correct one but won't be installed till the NEXT oil change. NOTE: Femco exchanged the wrong one for the correct one without charge! Yes, I paid return shipping. I paid for the new one (refunded later) and they SURPRISED me by overnight the replacement!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Both Allison and Caterpillar 3126 and maybe the C7 offered shallow and deep pans.

On the Caterpillar engines shallow were steel, deep were ribbed aluminum. Safari was one of the few manufacturer who speced deep Caterpillar pans.

Not aware of this on a Cummins. But easy to give Cummins a call with your engine serial number to confirm proper oil quantity for your engine.

Yes, they confirmed I have the large capacity oil pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi JellyBean; I put the same amount Jim does in his 02 Windsor. My ISC in my 01 Windsor takes 19 quarts to the full line, that's including the oil filter. Before I started doing my own changers the only shop that could fill the crankcase with the correct amount was Cummin's. Any other show would overfill by 3 quarts! Interesting, the oil filter holds 3 quarts. Could be a math problem!
And that explains why my, former service, paper work lists "up to xx" amount of oil. or customer supplied. Now I know MY coach's requirement. Someday I'll have to ask the former owner if they were handed the leftover oil after service? Every two services would have enough leftover for the gen-set's change...

Math has always been "my" problem....

Old 08-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #14

Incorrect dipstick markings

You are probably well aware that MANY dipsticks (installed by the coach builder, NOT by Cummins) are improperly marked. I have never heard of one that was marked to cause you to put in TOO LITTLE oil. All I've encountered or read about were marked such that if you filled to the "FULL" mark, you might be two quarts or so HIGH.

Being two quarts low is not a problem. Being two quarts high will cause many setups to blow oil out the breather tube and cover your toad. Not sure what happens if you have a PCV-type setup where there is no breather tube hanging down. But a crankshaft whipping through oil creates a lot of oil froth for the engine to deal with. On a Harley, when you are "sumping" (oil too high) it feels like you are towing a boat.

Try to find out the correct amount for an oil CHANGE (not a dry engine). Add that amount and see where it comes on the dipstick. My 2000 Dynasty is marked so that if I fill to the FULL mark on the dipstick, it blows oil. When it gets to two quarts low (on dipstick), it stops blowing.
Southeastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote